[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We Need To Get A Sea of Gold Going At The BC  (Read 10389 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: We Need To Get A Sea of Gold Going At The BC
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I think this is another case where the fanbase is being too hard on itself.  Watching most of the games on TV, the crowd looks plenty gold to me, and a lot of the fans not wearing gold are wearing blue Marquette gear.  Its not like at some places (UW, UNC) where there is only one school color.

I mean, when I watch a Syracuse game, I don't see much more orange than I see gold at the BC.

I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of fans at MU games who are more "basketball fans" than "Marquette fans" is significantly higher than at many high major programs. MU is a private school with only 8,000 undergrads, yet plays in a 19,000-seat arena that happens to be located in a major metropolitan area. That lends itself to a lot of fans attending because they simply want to see a game. This probably happens even more when MU plays a big-name or highly-ranked opponent. Point being, if a person is attending a game as basically "a neutral observer," they're less likely to go all-in on a Gold-Out or Black-Out or whatever-out.

This isn't meant as a knock on MU fans or alums or the stadium or anyone really. Just an observation.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
I think this is another case where the fanbase is being too hard on itself.  Watching most of the games on TV, the crowd looks plenty gold to me, and a lot of the fans not wearing gold are wearing blue Marquette gear.  Its not like at some places (UW, UNC) where there is only one school color.

I mean, when I watch a Syracuse game, I don't see much more orange than I see gold at the BC.

I agree with this. I was there on Saturday - proudly wearing my gold Warriors Forever shirt - and had much more of an issue with the empty seats than the lack of gold (which I didn't notice in the slightest).
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
The Big East has a serious color problem.  GT, gray, C, black and white, SH, blue, V, Blue, P, brown and ?, B, dark blue, DP, blue, X, black and gray.
So the only teams with color are MU and St.J.
No more Orange, or Rutgers Red, not even a green. 
These schools need to add some color, the BE brand is drab.     

Also, not a fan of teams that wear gray (especially a darker shade of gray) as their alternate uniforms.  I have seen turnovers that I am convinced were partially due to the lack of contrast between our their unis and our dark blue ones.  
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
The baby blue also works well, but would probably require a shirt giveaway (would MU be willing to hand out 16,000 shirts for arriving fans?) and making sure that Wojo knows we call it "Valour Blue" so he can see past any UNC similarities ;)

They did that in 2007 with the 30th Anniversary baby blue T-shirts

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »
For starters, I wish Marquette would offer more selections of gold gear. Go to the spirit shop and 90+% of the items are navy. I have a plethora of Marquette gear as I make an annual pilgrimage to the spirit shop to outfit the whole family in new gear every season (especially now that the online site sucks) and most of the nike jumpman or performance stuff is navy or valour blue. I have some gold cotton t's and longsleeves but all the performance gear is blue other than the gold shooting shirt they rocked a few years back. Don't even get me started about the gray warmups this year. So bland and gray is not even a secondary school color.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »
For starters, I wish Marquette would offer more selections of gold gear. Go to the spirit shop and 90+% of the items are navy. I have a plethora of Marquette gear as I make an annual pilgrimage to the spirit shop to outfit the whole family in new gear every season (especially now that the online site sucks) and most of the nike jumpman or performance stuff is navy or valour blue. I have some gold cotton t's and longsleeves but all the performance gear is blue other than the gold shooting shirt they rocked a few years back. Don't even get me started about the gray warmups this year. So bland and gray is not even a secondary school color.

!00% agree.  About 3 years ago I purchased a gold oxford that the Spirit Shop carried very briefly.  Absolutely love that shirt and wear it to games frequently.  I think MU needs more gold options for alums, especially in the 'business casual' range as I like to dress up a bit for weekend conference games when a tee shirt covered by a gold hoodie just doesn't do it for me.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
The Big East has a serious color problem.  GT, gray, C, black and white, SH, blue, V, Blue, P, brown and ?, B, dark blue, DP, blue, X, black and gray.
So the only teams with color are MU and St.J.
No more Orange, or Rutgers Red, not even a green. 
These schools need to add some color, the BE brand is drab.     

And sadly, St. John's has started wearing a dark blue uni on occasion over the last two years.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
I am insistent on wearing gold for games and always make my husband join - definitely agree that we need more gold in the stands! For Christmas this year I actually scouted out all the gold clothing at the spirit store and now have a much better array of clothing that is more than just free t-shirts. They do have some nice stuff in gold, at least for the ladies.

I must admit, as a student I often wore the old baby blue Wade giveaway jersey, but felt it was different in the student section because everyone around me was wearing gold.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
Not sure how wearing one color shirt or another color shirt would inform whether one is a "true fan" or not. Seriously, that's just a unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid notion.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
Not sure how wearing one color shirt or another color shirt would inform whether one is a "true fan" or not. Seriously, that's just a unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid notion.

I don't think it has anything to do with that.  But it does make for a cool looking arena.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle