[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Need To Get A Sea of Gold Going At The BC  (Read 10486 times)

Texas Western

• All American
We Need To Get A Sea of Gold Going At The BC
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »
I am down visiting one of my kids at the Syracuse UNC game. I have always felt, we really need to get a sea of Gold in our games. Not just the student section. The visual of the Carolina Blue is great.  Carolina just went up 64-62. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: We Need To Get A Sea of Gold Going At The BC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Agreed. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
Sadly that won't happen with your Deane level success you're hoping for. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
I am down visiting one of my kids at the Syracuse UNC game. I have always felt, we really need to get a sea of Gold in our games. Not just the student section. The visual of the Carolina Blue is great.  Carolina just went up 64-62. 

It's certainly been tried a few times by the marketing folks over the years.  Hopefully it takes off some day.  Many alums wanted no part of wearing gold, even if we gave them free gold shirts.  Go figure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »
How 'bout we just change the nickname to Gold, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
I still wear my Gold sweatshirt to every game, but... Years ago when TC was here and the Gold-out concept was being pushed, the amount of pushback from adult ticket holders really amazed me ... I don't like Gold, why not Blue?... don't want to spend money on a Gold Sweatshirt (gold t-shirts don't get it in Milwaukee winters) ....if they want us to wear them, why don't they give us a sweatshirt for Free?... women don't like that color because it is hard to color coordinate... blah, blah blah... a great deal of whining.

Very frustrating and telling of MU's fan base I thought. Buzz Wilson didn't seem to care, and any momentum with the concept went away.

I think that MU should again promote the Gold-out for every game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
I still wear my Gold sweatshirt to every game, but... Years ago when TC was here and the Gold-out concept was being pushed, the amount of pushback from adult ticket holders really amazed me ... I don't like Gold, why not Blue?... don't want to spend money on a Gold Sweatshirt (gold t-shirts don't get it in Milwaukee winters) ....if they want us to wear them, why don't they give us a sweatshirt for Free?... women don't like that color because it is hard to color coordinate... blah, blah blah... a great deal of whining.

Very frustrating and telling of MU's fan base I thought. Buzz Wilson didn't seem to care, and any momentum with the concept went away.

I think that MU should again promote the Gold-out for every game.

Yup, that was the basic response.  It started prior to that with Mike Deane, we were pushing it hard.  Couldn't give free sweatshirts out due to the cost, but could get them cheap and people just didn't want to do it.  For several years as part of the season ticket renewals we pushed the concept, had the discount pricing, the modeled stuff, etc.....didn't fly.  I received many of the comments you mention above.    The problem with blue is that it doesn't translate on camera or in the arena, and despite explaining this most folks didn't want to hear it. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
Every game I am in my Golden Eagle headress. Come join me. Open for purchase in the Trading Post, I'm really a badger fan?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:42 PM »
TAMU does Maroon out, white out, and black out games for football. The pitch it for weeks and are selling t-shirts on every corner of campus. Maroon out is very popular, black/white only amongst the students. I think the alums just wear maroon for all games.

Would be cool to see. Maybe tie it in with scholarship money? Buy this shirt at the door and it goes directly to the general scholarship fund? Should get some of the sweater vests to fork some money over
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
I'll take managing one of gold, blue, light blue, or white.  We have four colors to choose from and half the alums still wear red or green or wear their suit from work since they couldn't be troubled to put a gold (or blue) shirt with it or stashed in the car for the drive over.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »
TAMU does Maroon out, white out, and black out games for football. The pitch it for weeks and are selling t-shirts on every corner of campus. Maroon out is very popular, black/white only amongst the students. I think the alums just wear maroon for all games.

Would be cool to see. Maybe tie it in with scholarship money? Buy this shirt at the door and it goes directly to the general scholarship fund? Should get some of the sweater vests to fork some money over

I would not poke fun at the sweater vest crowd because MU sold them those sweater vests to be part of the program. At least they are with the program as the vests (Fr Wilde wore one) and button downs are a shade of gold. I see a number of women  wearing yellow sweaters at games too, as a way of supporting the concept. Maybe the orange in the gold sweatshirts and Ts could be toned down to be more yellow?

I'll also respond to Chapman: As Chico ably pointed out, the popular Navy Blue just doesn't work because the color recedes into the background; it looks like a black hole on TV. I have a feeling our new coach doesn't care for the powder blue for obvious reasons (has the team worn them this year?). White is boring. So you are left with Gold and in case you forgot, we  are the Golden Eagles.

Those in attendance wearing Red are probably not alums, but crossover BB fans who have been going to MU games for years (I prefer to believe MU alums would not be that dumb and insensitive to wear f*cking Badger gear.) Green, well that is for the local synod's GB Packers, part of the national religion, the NFL - non-alums and alums wear it and there is not much that you can do about that. Yes, I agree that those in business suits could carry MU gear and change (as I do), especially since so many businesses today have casual dress codes. Again, to me the lack of participation is telling of our fan base' passion for MU. At least they bought tickets

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
I would not poke fun at the sweater vest crowd because MU sold them those sweater vests to be part of the program. At least they are with the program as the vests (Fr Wilde wore one) and button downs are a shade of gold. I see a number of women  wearing yellow sweaters at games too, as a way of supporting the concept. Maybe the orange in the gold sweatshirts and Ts could be toned down to be more yellow?

I'll also respond to Chapman: As Chico ably pointed out, the popular Navy Blue just doesn't work because the color recedes into the background; it looks like a black hole on TV. I have a feeling our new coach doesn't care for the powder blue for obvious reasons (has the team worn them this year?). White is boring. So you are left with Gold and in case you forgot, we  are the Golden Eagles.

Those in attendance wearing Red are probably not alums, but crossover BB fans who have been going to MU games for years (I prefer to believe MU alums would not be that dumb and insensitive to wear f*cking Badger gear.) Green, well that is for the local synod's GB Packers, part of the national religion, the NFL - non-alums and alums wear it and there is not much that you can do about that. Yes, I agree that those in business suits could carry MU gear and change (as I do), especially since so many businesses today have casual dress codes. Again, to me the lack of participation is telling of our fan base' passion for MU. At least they bought tickets
The interesting thing is that if you go to one of our games on the road, a very large percentage do wear the gold.  It is very easy to  see how well our team travels for a mid size school .

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
It's certainly been tried a few times by the marketing folks over the years.  Hopefully it takes off some day.  Many alums wanted no part of wearing gold, even if we gave them free gold shirts.  Go figure.

Gold is just, well Gold. Hideous color and no surprise it has not been embraced. Blue the far better choice.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »
Aim all promotions at people wearing gold.  All jumbotron images are of people wearing gold.   

Maybe have a "Bad fan of the game" wearing another color, train the students to boo at the image.    :-*

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
Why not a baby blue-out?

Al's Night. MU wears baby blue. Fans wear baby blue. St. John's wears red.

Done and done. Call the marketing dept!

SpiritShop

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »
This year's Gold Out Game is National Marquette Day on Saturday, Feb 21st.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
You should go to Notre Lame games. Everyone basically wears the same outfit and cheers in a very disciplined, strict manner. Very Hiter-youth; you'd love it.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me the Attention Deficit Disorder of posters on Scoops... so eager to blurt out their thoughts that they don't read and focus on what was written before (or think), or try to act like the Class Clown on any discussion. [Probably because most can't handle more than 40 character messages - btw, that is an ageism attack. How did you like it ?]

(I'm sure I just pissed off many. Too bad in so many ways. So many here think it is funny to denigrate Alums who, at least,  support the Gold-out concept by wearing "gold" sweater vests. I believe that is called ageism or age discrimination. Discrimination is not funny in any form, and I'm not a sweater vest guy and certainly not a bleeding heart Lib or tight ass.

I come here like all blogs and message boards to see what I can learn, which most often isn't much. BrewCity is the one of few who adds some substance and balance. That is why I very infrequently post here. Now to compliment, as well as piss off some more.]

TexasWestern brings up a good point about fans tending to wear Gold more at road games. Not sure why, but possibly to seek affiliation with other MU fans in enemy territory? Also a good thread subject, which has nothing to do with some attacking you on other issues. I, for one, appreciate that you initiated this subject

MU Hilltopper had a nugget of a great idea for an in-stadium promotion to drive Gold-out participation. I think the MU marketing folks missed the boat by passing out different color T-shirts since Crean left. They have created a rainbow effect in the stands by not staying on strategy. It is not Hitler Youth to build an MU brand franchise. Other successful major Us do it as TAMU pointed out.

79 Warrior did you not read what Chico, who worked in the MU Sports Marketing Dept, and has worked in TV wrote? Navy Blue just doesn't work - you are totally wrong. Who cares if you don't like the color - a true fan will support MU BB by wearing Gold. And you sir, apparently think that you know best, or your ego won't allow your sense of style to wear Gold to a f*cking arena to watch a BB game. [btw, Green and Gold is pretty bad too but that doesn't keep fans, including women, from wearing the colors.] Jeeshh! Get over yourself.

MerritsMustache, the baby blues or powder blues were a specialty color with a historical significance, not a primary MU "Brand" color. Coach Wojo probably doesn't like them because it looks like NC Tarheel blue. If MU made a big deal about them, like baby blue-outs, national commentators and others will possibly make fun of MU and Wojo while not understanding the MU historical significance. At best MU wore baby blues maybe 4X/season. Sorry to disappoint you and piss in your soup ("call the Marketing Dept" ? - you must be an accountant!), but IMO that color is gone during Coach Wojo's regime. Bad marketing idea by MU in the first place to be passing the baby-blues

OK, let the sophomoric attacks begin. Or try to read what is written above and think before you post. Over and out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me the Attention Deficit Disorder of posters on Scoops... so eager to blurt out their thoughts that they don't read and focus on what was written before (or think), or try to act like the Class Clown on any discussion. [Probably because most can't handle more than 40 character messages - btw, that is an ageism attack. How did you like it ?]

(I'm sure I just pissed off many. Too bad in so many ways. So many here think it is funny to denigrate Alums who, at least,  support the Gold-out concept by wearing "gold" sweater vests. I believe that is called ageism or age discrimination. Discrimination is not funny in any form, and I'm not a sweater vest guy and certainly not a bleeding heart Lib or tight ass.

I come here like all blogs and message boards to see what I can learn, which most often isn't much. BrewCity is the one of few who adds some substance and balance. That is why I very infrequently post here. Now to compliment, as well as piss off some more.]

TexasWestern brings up a good point about fans tending to wear Gold more at road games. Not sure why, but possibly to seek affiliation with other MU fans in enemy territory? Also a good thread subject, which has nothing to do with some attacking you on other issues. I, for one, appreciate that you initiated this subject

MU Hilltopper had a nugget of a great idea for an in-stadium promotion to drive Gold-out participation. I think the MU marketing folks missed the boat by passing out different color T-shirts since Crean left. They have created a rainbow effect in the stands by not staying on strategy. It is not Hitler Youth to build an MU brand franchise. Other successful major Us do it as TAMU pointed out.

79 Warrior did you not read what Chico, who worked in the MU Sports Marketing Dept, and has worked in TV wrote? Navy Blue just doesn't work - you are totally wrong. Who cares if you don't like the color - a true fan will support MU BB by wearing Gold. And you sir, apparently think that you know best, or your ego won't allow your sense of style to wear Gold to a f*cking arena to watch a BB game. [btw, Green and Gold is pretty bad too but that doesn't keep fans, including women, from wearing the colors.] Jeeshh! Get over yourself.

MerritsMustache, the baby blues or powder blues were a specialty color with a historical significance, not a primary MU "Brand" color. Coach Wojo probably doesn't like them because it looks like NC Tarheel blue. If MU made a big deal about them, like baby blue-outs, national commentators and others will possibly make fun of MU and Wojo while not understanding the MU historical significance. At best MU wore baby blues maybe 4X/season. Sorry to disappoint you and piss in your soup ("call the Marketing Dept" ? - you must be an accountant!), but IMO that color is gone during Coach Wojo's regime. Bad marketing idea by MU in the first place to be passing the baby-blues

OK, let the sophomoric attacks begin. Or try to read what is written above and think before you post. Over and out.

Thanks, CRC. There's a good community here, which brought me back. Just need to filter out the news from the noise.

I also like the gold better. Stands out very well and gives you a better sea effect on TV. The baby blue also works well, but would probably require a shirt giveaway (would MU be willing to hand out 16,000 shirts for arriving fans?) and making sure that Wojo knows we call it "Valour Blue" so he can see past any UNC similarities ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »

OK, so I've thought about what was written about me and here's what I've decided to post in response...

Lighten up. My comment was largely tongue-in-cheek. That said, however, if MU wore baby blue jerseys on Al's Night as a tribute to Al McGuire's championship team that wore baby blue jerseys, I highly doubt Wojo would somehow be mocked for it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
Thanks, CRC. There's a good community here, which brought me back. Just need to filter out the news from the noise.

I also like the gold better. Stands out very well and gives you a better sea effect on TV. The baby blue also works well, but would probably require a shirt giveaway (would MU be willing to hand out 16,000 shirts for arriving fans?) and making sure that Wojo knows we call it "Valour Blue" so he can see past any UNC similarities ;)

A shirt giveaway would probably be the only way a Goldout (or any other color-out) would be successful.
Have some patience, FFS.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »

A couple thoughts on this...  Gold stands out, and I think people going to away games want to stand out to show their support.  Going to a road game is an event that people make an effort to attend, so you do it right.  For home games, a lot of fans are there as one of several activities for the day.  Maybe they're coming straight from work, catching dinner or drinks afterward, etc., and the game is just one of several things they're taking into account when they're picking out what to wear that night.  Also, I think the people going to road games are the more hard-core fans, and they're the ones more likely to wear Gold anyway.

As a community though, MU fans tend to do their own thing and are more splintered.  You can call it a cracked sidewalks mentality or non-conformist, or whatever you want, but don't have as much of a cohesive rah-rah college spirit as most big state schools.  In some ways, our tradition, including for uniforms, is that we don't have a lot of traditions and we're always changing.  I usually like that and take pride in it, but it makes things like the Gold-Out more challenging.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »
A shirt giveaway would probably be the only way a Goldout (or any other color-out) would be successful.

Even that doesn't work.  I remember a few give-aways during the Crean years when people still wouldn't wear them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
I think this is another case where the fanbase is being too hard on itself.  Watching most of the games on TV, the crowd looks plenty gold to me, and a lot of the fans not wearing gold are wearing blue Marquette gear.  Its not like at some places (UW, UNC) where there is only one school color.

I mean, when I watch a Syracuse game, I don't see much more orange than I see gold at the BC.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »
The Big East has a serious color problem.  GT, gray, C, black and white, SH, blue, V, Blue, P, brown and ?, B, dark blue, DP, blue, X, black and gray.
So the only teams with color are MU and St.J.
No more Orange, or Rutgers Red, not even a green. 
These schools need to add some color, the BE brand is drab.