'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks]Carlino Top 100; Derrick vs. Paige/Harrison/Staten  (Read 17310 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Thanks all for reading!
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
Thank you! Well, looks like I may need to do a meeting in NYC in March so it just may be around Big East tournament time. Maybe I will see you there WarriorInNYC!

This is really great stuff, bama! Thanks and continued success - you make your fellow MU alums proud.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: your stud Pinkston is now the 1864th best shooter of 2230
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
I don't care what these cute numbers say, (Derrick) not even on the same stratosphere as the PGs listed (note I said this very clearly in the article) or as valuable as players like Pinkston or Derosiers. ... Algorithm needs to be adjusted.

As frustrating as this is to watch the game - if your case for the algorithm needing to be changed is how clearly superior Pinkston is your case is really, really weak or you just haven't him this season. With Fischer on the bench he obviously should be destroying us inside. Instead his first basket after a couple of misses comes because he is there for a layup when a teammate air balls as shot. The guy has great talent and I have nothing against him - and still have him in the top 12% of all players, but he has been the one player who has backtracked badly this season so just a really strange example you would play as an ace card.

I just checked and his 42.3% eFG% (not counting his 1 of 3 in the first half) means he is the 1865th best shooter of the 2230 players to play at least 40% of their minutes. I mean, I still have him in the top 12% for the other things he does - but at some point you can't miss all your shots and say you are having an elite season.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:56:36 PM by bamamarquettefan »
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Derrick 6 assists 2 turnovers despite the team mismatch
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
and obviously nothing to be happy about when getting run off the court, but I do hate to have Derrick's great improvement lost just because it was a lost season. Playing with a team that obviously could not hit anything night, includuing Fischer getting rejected by a smaller guy on a dunk on what looked like it would be an obvious assist for Derrick - Derrick still has a 6/2 assist to turnover rate running the point against a top 25 team in steals. My question would be how many assists would Derrick have if he and Pinkston switched teams and Derrick was passing to Pinkston's 5 teammates with 200+ points this season.

Derrick was definitely a big problem last year, but he has really been good this year.

On the flip side, how well would Pinkston score if he was on Marquette and getting double teams instead of having FIVE teammates with over 200 points? Today he had two wide open layups off a great pass when Fischer lost him and on his teammates airball. Even with those two free layups he hit only one other shot to go 3 for 8 despite the huge size advantage.

Hopefully this will be like 1991 - the losing record before the big run that gets us back to the Sweet 16, but I stand by the basic calculation that Pinkston has gone from STAR to just GOOD this season, and Derrick has gone from TERRIBLE to GOOD, and this year he is one of the players keeping MU close this season and not a big problem like he was last year.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

tower912

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks]Carlino Top 100; Derrick vs. Paige/Harrison/Staten
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Most of us see that and agree.   There will be dissenters, however....... ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 07:33:56 AM »
I think Derrick wastes an inordinate amount of time every possession just dribbling around with no real purpose.  He doesn't turn it over, but he doesn't pressure the defense, either.  He shortens our shot clock and forces us to take bad shots because we can only run one or two sets.  Others players' ratings may pay for that because we are forced to take bad shots to avoid shot clock violations. He is not nearly as bad this season as last in this regard, but still does it a lot.

Now, that may not be Derrick.  It may be an underdog strategy imposed by Wojo to shorten the game.  If that's the case, Derrick's the perfect guy to run it because he won't turn it over, and it's actually hard not to turn the ball over when you're dribbling around not attacking because the defense can take chances.   

All of that said, he is the best we've got and has to play.  Love his defense and his rebounding.  His tentative nature with the ball is just not enjoyable to watch, but that doesn't make him less effective than a guy who is attcking and making more good plays and maybe a lot more bad ones.   
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Derrick 6 assists 2 turnovers despite the team mismatch
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
Derrick still has a 6/2 assist to turnover rate running the point against a top 25 team in steals.
And the first of those two turnovers occurred when JJJ threw it to him while he was standing out of bounds.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
And the first of those two turnovers occurred when JJJ threw it to him while he was standing out of bounds.

That doesn't go as a turnover on Derrick FYI. 

That 3:1 assist to turnover ratio is nice.  However I sure wish the opposition PG's line wasn't such that it was a 9:1 scoring differential.  Granted it usually only is a 3:1 disparity in point production. Yet still, pretty hard to win games when you have that type of disparity taking place at a critical position on the floor.

Sorry, I'll try not to use stats to support my position.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

That 3:1 assist to turnover ratio is nice.  However I sure wish the opposition PG's line wasn't such that it was a 9:1 scoring differential.  Granted it usually only is a 3:1 disparity in point production. Yet still, pretty hard to win games when you have that type of disparity taking place at a critical position on the floor.

Lol. Resorting to "ratio of points Derrick scored to points other teams starting PG scored". When we're running a zone.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »

Did we just make of a new start, PG scoring differential?

What about Butler? Derrick held Rosevelt jones to 1-12 with 2 pts and 3 rebounds.

Should we calculate PG scoring differential for that one?

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »
Don't take the bait from the Ignored
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

feedback