'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Feel familiar?  (Read 10604 times)

The Lens

• All American
Feel familiar?
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
The one thing we can say for sure about this team is they will compete, night in and night out.  Reminds me of Buzz's 2nd year with Lazar and the midgets.

That team went 2-1 in FLA
That team lost to Bucky
That team lost at DePaul
That team opened up Conf 2-5.

That team ended up 11-7

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/269/year/2010/marquette-golden-eagles
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Feel familiar?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 01:48:37 PM »
Not really.  That team had four players that played in the NBA.  This team likely has zero.  That was also quite possibly the deepest conference of all time.  Pretty sure 11/16 teams made the NCAA tournament that year.  

I am as big of an optimist as anyone, but there is no way this team gets to 11 wins at this juncture.  I'd be shocked to get to 9-9. It is going to require three in a row at MSG in March.  
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
That team had multiple 3 pt shooters.    Buzz came up with an offense and a defense that mitigated the ridiculous lack of height.   IMO, his finest coaching job at MU.    Playing a 6 man rotation with less height than many high school teams and getting them into the tourney.    Cubi, Butler, Lazar were all really solid defenders and Lazar provided that 'refuse-to-lose' mentality.    A heart attack every night, but ultimately a joy to watch.    Especially when the offense got flowing.    Best ball movement I can remember from any MU team and near the top of any team I have ever seen.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
Not really.  That team had four players that played in the NBA.  This team likely has zero.  That was also quite possibly the deepest conference of all time.  Pretty sure 11/16 teams made the NCAA tournament that year.  

I am as big of an optimist as anyone, but there is no way this team gets to 11 wins at this juncture.  I'd be shocked to get to 9-9. It is going to require three in a row at MSG in March.  

Agree with some of your points but not the NBA players point.  Are you telling me you thought Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks were going to the league at that point?  There were people who thought Buycks wasn't even D-1 material that year.

Also, are you so sure that NO ONE on this current roster has a chance of even getting a cup of coffee in the NBA?

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
That Washington game was heartbreaking.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
Agree with some of your points but not the NBA players point.  Are you telling me you thought Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks were going to the league at that point?  There were people who thought Buycks wasn't even D-1 material that year.

Also, are you so sure that NO ONE on this current roster has a chance of even getting a cup of coffee in the NBA?

It doesn't really matter what I thought at that time. Ultimately, 4 guys on that team have played minutes in the NBA, granted two of them played very little.

I am pretty sure no one on this team is going to play in the NBA.  The ONLY guys with any chances are Duane, JJJ and Luke.  I think Duane's is very limited due to his size.  JJJ is going to need to explode his junior and senior season to get that chance.  Luke doesn't seem to me to be a NBA player, but he could get a cup of coffee due to his size.  Luke seems like the most likely I suppose, but I would still put it far under 50/50.

That's not me taking a shot at the program by any means.  I hope all these guys succeed and get a chance at the next level - I just don't see it right now.    

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »

Sure was. Gahhh.  Was one of the first games of the tourney too...totally soured the rest of the 1st weekend for me.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »
Posted basicly same thing on Scout.  Need to get their first close win then maybe look out.  That was the year of three stratight OT wins on the road.  I really like this team.  Wish they would use Teve and Luke more.  Thought they looked great on the floor together vs Gtown - was suprised didn't see more of that line up.  Think they can get more scoring from post with that combo to provide the needed third scoring option ina ddition to Carlino and Duane.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »

If you were around long enough you'll remember that at this exact point of the season in 2011 (2- 5 in conference) we had a poster called "nomorebuycks" that was banned for ripping Dwight (think Ners/Dwill on steroids).

So yes, at the moment in 2011 they this team was 2-5 the belief it was a team as bad as today's team.  No one had any idea how good they were about to be and how good some of the players were about to become.

If you could go back in a time machine to 2011 when MU was 2 - 5 and then start a thread that Jimmy would be on the 2015 NBA all-star team, you can only imagine how people would have questioned your sanity.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »
The one thing we can say for sure about this team is they will compete, night in and night out.  Reminds me of Buzz's 2nd year with Lazar and the midgets.

That team lost to Bucky
That team lost at DePaul

That team ended up 11-7

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/269/year/2010/marquette-golden-eagles

Love the optimism but those 2-5 records to open the conference season were against much different opposition. In 2010 our 4 road losses were to #6 (by1), #6 (by2), #5 (by 5) and DePaul. Our home loss was to #8 (by 2). Our wins were home against #12 and by 30 against Providence. This year all of our losses are against unranked teams and one of our two wins was on a last second three vs woeful Creighton.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:21:00 PM by Lennys Tap »

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
Love the optimism but those 2-5 records to open the conference season were against much different opposition. In 2010 our 4 road losses were to #6 (by1), #6 (by2), #5 (by 5) and DePaul. Our home loss was to #8 (by 2). Our wins were home against #12 and by 30 against Providence. This year all of our losses are against unranked teams and one of our two wins was on a last second three vs woeful Creighton.

Everything is relative but the common thread may be that this team has shown it has the talent to beat its fellow big east teams and is just having problems finishing like the 2010 team (who lost many of those games almost entirely to missed free throws in last two minutes IIRC).  If this team learns to finish they are capable of a run and who knows?  BE may not have alot of ranked teams - but I expect Gtown will be ranked this week and suddenly 2 of our 5 losses are vs a ranked team - and the league is the second best by most statistical models so...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »

Du. Wilson will get at least a cup of coffee. Dude is going to be a flat-out stud. If I'm not mistaken, he shot over 50% from beyond the arc in high school and now we're starting to see that kind of deep range proficiency. And obviously he can take anyone off the dribble and finish with left or right--he's amphibious (God bless you Charles Shackleford). 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »
It is going to require three in a row at MSG in March.  

#donedeal

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »

I think we have a couple. It's probably too early to say on any of them, but depending on how some of the kids develop, it's not out of the realm of possibility. That said, we don't have three upperclassmen that will play in the NBA, which we did on that team.

I don't think we make the NCAAs either, but I'm still thinking 8-9 wins is attainable and would get us in the NIT, which would be a great building block for some of these kids.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
Its just fun watching the team develop. Yeah, it really sucks to lose, but if anything it gives the guys a chip on the shoulder that they want to prove more for next year.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
The record may be familiar to the 2010 season, but I highly doubt this years version will rebound in the 2nd half of the Big East season like that team did. I think we'll finish in 8th or 9th place and break MU's streak of at least a .500 record in Big East play.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »

I.

WAS.

THERE.

:'(
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:53 PM »
The one thing we can say for sure about this team is they will compete, night in and night out.  Reminds me of Buzz's 2nd year with Lazar and the midgets.

That team lost to Bucky
That team lost at DePaul

That team ended up 11-7

My sense is if we can peak by the BET we can win it.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 02:21:08 AM »
I too feel optimistic. It all starts vs Seton Hall. Win that one and then we will all have a more friendly view of this team going forward. The only game I have as a locked in Loss is @Nova. I could see the home game vs Nova being interesting. Isn't that national Marquette day? The crowd is always alive for that one. If MU can pull off a couple upsets we may have something here.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
I think we have a couple. It's probably too early to say on any of them, but depending on how some of the kids develop, it's not out of the realm of possibility. That said, we don't have three upperclassmen that will play in the NBA, which we did on that team.

Agreed, Wilson was mentioned, but Fischer is a 6'11 kid with great fundamentals and a pure stroke.  Sure he's hit a rough patch in conference, but he's played less than a full season at the D-1 level.  Players with his ability and fundamentals at that size, find a way onto NBA rosters.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
Ditto

I didn't realize Indiana was in San Jose that weekend??

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
I too feel optimistic. It all starts vs Seton Hall. Win that one and then we will all have a more friendly view of this team going forward. The only game I have as a locked in Loss is @Nova. I could see the home game vs Nova being interesting. Isn't that national Marquette day? The crowd is always alive for that one. If MU can pull off a couple upsets we may have something here.

It is National Marquette Day, and I'm hoping for an early happy birthday present (day after the game).

I'd feel a lot more confident if we were 4-3 instead of 2-5. We really let the DePaul and Georgetown games get away. I know GT was close all the way, but at home that sure felt like it should have been a win, just like up 12 at DePaul with under 12:00 to play. But looking ahead, I agree that there are a lot of winnable games. I'd be happy with 8-10 at this point, which means 6-5 the rest of the way. With 6 at home, that's possible, and would give us a decent shot at the NIT.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
Agreed, Wilson was mentioned, but Fischer is a 6'11 kid with great fundamentals and a pure stroke.  Sure he's hit a rough patch in conference, but he's played less than a full season at the D-1 level.  Players with his ability and fundamentals at that size, find a way onto NBA rosters.
Fischer is still baby face.  Wait until he fills out. Joe Wolf was a baby face going into UNC and came out with a 10 year NBA career.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »

I think my favorite part of that game was Lazar saying after the game that Quincy Pondexter told him that Pondexter was sure that Lazar's buzzer beater prayer was going to go in.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback