[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino v. DJO  (Read 9238 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Carlino v. DJO
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:02 PM »

Since Carlino shoots less often than DJO did, and at a higher accuracy (at least from deep), would you call DJO a chucker?

True, but Carlino's CSFG% is much lower.

(That's "Chucked Shot Field Goal Percentage" for you non-analytics people)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
DJO rarely took a bad shot. Carlino takes a lot of bad shots.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: Carlino 94th v. DJO 91st
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
Ironically I had just done the weekly Value Add run right before reading this and saw Carlino had popped up to 94th in the national rankings. I looked back and DJO was 91st his senior year (when Crowder was 2nd to only Anthony Davis). With Carlino jumping up about 100 spots on this incredible 4-game Novak impersonation (19 of 33 on treys and 18 of 19 on free throws are actually higher percentages than Novak's career numbers on both LOL), he certainly looks on pace to finish as the more valuable player to me.

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
And some on here think a 'chucker' is defined as frequency of shots, not shot selection.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »

Carlino's 3-pt% this season:  43.9%
DJO's 3-pt% his senior year:  38.5%

Carlino's overall fg% this season:  41.5%
DJO's overall fg% his senior year:  44.7%

So Carlino shoots about 5% better from beyond the arc, and DJO shot about 3% better overall.  If one is a chucker, both are chuckers.

IMHO, they're both great shooters who've done an excellent job of doing what is asked of them.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:36 PM »
True, but Carlino's CSFG% is much lower. (That's "Chucked Shot Field Goal Percentage" for you non-analytics people)

LOL. excellent new stat even I had not been tracking!

i will say though with the worst offense in the Big East sometimes a chuck from Carlino has been a better chance than a pass to someone else. A chuck from DJO meant he had not given it to an All-American in Crowder, or Jamil or Blue when they really started to get to the basket, or Davante when he was scoring at will.

I will have to defend Carlino - KEEP CHUCKING WHEN YOU NEED TO!!!!!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
Carlino's 3-pt% this season:  43.9%
DJO's 3-pt% his senior year:  38.5%

Carlino's overall fg% this season:  41.5%
DJO's overall fg% his senior year:  44.7%

So Carlino shoots about 5% better from beyond the arc, and DJO shot about 3% better overall.  If one is a chucker, both are chuckers.

IMHO, they're both great shooters who've done an excellent job of doing what is asked of them.

No I thnk this proves that Carlino is more of one. He can shoot the 3 ball really well but that is what he relies on. Chucking up shots. HIs 2 pt % is horrid as he is very inconsistent mid range.

DJO go score mid range and get to the rim all the time. Creating better efficiency while still shooting the 3 solidly.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »

Carlino MUST take a few bad shots every game because the shot clock has run down or the offense has produced nothing better.  At least he steps up and takes them. 

Keep chucking Matt. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
No I thnk this proves that Carlino is more of one. He can shoot the 3 ball really well but that is what he relies on. Chucking up shots. HIs 2 pt % is horrid as he is very inconsistent mid range.

DJO go score mid range and get to the rim all the time. Creating better efficiency while still shooting the 3 solidly.

I guess we have different definitions of the word "chucking". When the guy hits almost 44% of his 3's I don't care what his overall fg percent is he isn't chucking.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
I guess we have different definitions of the word "chucking". When the guy hits almost 44% of his 3's I don't care what his overall fg percent is he isn't chucking.

Yep.  If you can hit that 3-pt%, it'd be stupid to take many 2s.  He'd have to hit 66% of his two-pointers to get as much per shot as he does from 3.  Not likely for a guard.

Carlino:  the anti-chucker.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
Chuck, Matt, chuck!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »

That right there is called "selective memory."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »
The only reason were not 0-7 in conference with a ton of close losses is because of that "chucker". Chuck up more shots please.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:24 PM »
The only reason were not 0-7 in conference with a ton of close losses is because of that "chucker". Chuck up more shots please.

I don't think we'd have many close losses without Carlino. This season would be ugly without him.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 11:15:40 PM »
I don't think we'd have many close losses without Carlino. This season would be ugly without him.

Wojo really made a good move in grabbing him for this season to have Marquette remain competitive.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »

You never saw DJO force a shot?  
DJO was a very team oriented player. I felt he played within the flow of the game. He was assertive when he needed to be. A pleasure to watch.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »

Might even be an understatement.  Without Carlino this season is REALLY ugly. 

DJO also forced some shots, and if I recall correctly, also turned the ball over at a fairly high rate, albeit he pushed tempo and forced a ton of pressure on a defense - so most coaches can live with the tradeoff of some turnovers for more fast break points.

As has been pointed out - if DJO took a shot, he essentially was taking one "away" from guys like Crowder, Jamil, Davante, Vander.  If Carlino takes a shot, he's basically taking away a look from Duane and Luke.  Don't think anyone would dispute they'd rather see Carlino shoot than any of Derrick, Juan, Steve, JJJ - yet Duane and Luke aren't nearly on the level of any of Jae, Jamil, Davante, Vander (yet).
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Might even be an understatement.  Without Carlino this season is REALLY ugly. 

DJO also forced some shots, and if I recall correctly, also turned the ball over at a fairly high rate, albeit he pushed tempo and forced a ton of pressure on a defense - so most coaches can live with the tradeoff of some turnovers for more fast break points.

As has been pointed out - if DJO took a shot, he essentially was taking one "away" from guys like Crowder, Jamil, Davante, Vander.  If Carlino takes a shot, he's basically taking away a look from Duane and Luke.  Don't think anyone would dispute they'd rather see Carlino shoot than any of Derrick, Juan, Steve, JJJ - yet Duane and Luke aren't nearly on the level of any of Jae, Jamil, Davante, Vander (yet).

Agree with all of the above.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »
You guys are funny.  Texas Western already explained to us how much better we would be if Carlino was not here and how Wojo lost trust in his players by bringing him in.  Team chemistry would be so much better, nobody would have transferred, and Burton and JJJ would easily have picked up the scoring void left by not having Carlino.  I didn't really believe this at first until I realized TW has info we don't.  So any time you see Carlino take over a game for us, understand the team would be much better off without him.  Selfish, selfish Wojo thinking of only himself and not how to make the team better. 

feedback