[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino v. DJO  (Read 9239 times)

GGGG

• All American
Carlino v. DJO
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Interesting comparison.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=darius-johnson-odom&i=1&p1=2-matt-carlino

Matt Carlino has been labelled a "chucker" by some.  However he shoots less than DJO did while basically being the same in minutes played, yet I never heard that used to describe him.  Could it be because Carlino takes 58% of his shots from 3, while DJO only took 42% his senior year?

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Carlino v. DJO
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
Interesting comparison.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=darius-johnson-odom&i=1&p1=2-matt-carlino

Matt Carlino has been labelled a "chucker" by some.  However he shoots less than DJO did while basically being the same in minutes played, yet I never heard that used to describe him.  Could it be because Carlino takes 58% of his shots from 3, while DJO only took 42% his senior year?

I think it's more that DJO had other guys around him, and didn't always have to take the shot. Matt's pretty much been the guy, for better or worse. Lately, better.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »
It's easy for those to label Carlino a chucker because of two reasons:

1. He is below average at driving the rim while DJO was extremely effective.
2. He takes a fair amount of shot clock expiring shots, where they are by definition 'chucks'.

He's not a chucker though.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Apples and oranges. DJO was a great college player but I think he might have struggled being the main guy. Matt has being the guy in his DNA and that is what makes him a very good college player. If I were coach he really would be a chucker and being shooting more often.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
I have no problem with the amount of shots Carlino takes.   Better him than someone who has no chance of making it.   IMO, the offense bogs down when he runs the point.   Particularly against Georgetown, when Carlino just dribbled around and then forced something it rarely worked.    If you need scoring in a hurry, have Derrick at the point, have Carlino and Duane run cross and come off screens on opposite sides.   One of them is open.   Catch, shoot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
I have been saying all year that Carlino reminds me of Anthony Pieper...and not just because of their skin color.  Shooting ability, scoring ability, intensity.  Pieper had better teams; so played a lesser role in terms of scoring than Carlino of late. Senior YR #'s are very comparable. Love that site btw.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:49:12 PM by Knight Commission »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
I have no problem with the amount of shots Carlino takes.   Better him than someone who has no chance of making it.   IMO, the offense bogs down when he runs the point.   Particularly against Georgetown, when Carlino just dribbled around and then forced something it rarely worked.    If you need scoring in a hurry, have Derrick at the point, have Carlino and Duane run cross and come off screens on opposite sides.   One of them is open.   Catch, shoot.   

I think that's how Duane hit his 3 to tie at the end of the gtown game

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
Apples and oranges. DJO was a great college player but I think he might have struggled being the main guy. Matt has being the guy in his DNA and that is what makes him a very good college player. If I were coach he really would be a chucker and being shooting more often.
Something to that.   Run him off multiple screens, let him catch and shoot.   If the other team adjusts to take away the catch and shoot, somebody is out of position.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

Agreed.  I think most of us went into DJO and Jae's senior season thinking DJO might be the guy.  And while he obviously had a great season, Jae stepped up and became our #1 threat.

Frankly, I think that was one of our problems last season.  Jamil and Davante had the talent to become the guy, but you just didn't see them demanding the ball in crunch time. 

Matt has it, Vander had it, Jae had it.  Other very good players didn't.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
Agreed.  I think most of us went into DJO and Jae's senior season thinking DJO might be the guy.  And while he obviously had a great season, Jae stepped up and became our #1 threat.

Frankly, I think that was one of our problems last season.  Jamil and Davante had the talent to become the guy, but you just didn't see them demanding the ball in crunch time. 

Matt has it, Vander had it, Jae had it.  Other very good players didn't.

DJO had it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHX0o_wDSM

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »
I enjoyed watching the DJO Jae team their senior season. Everyone played in such an unselfish way . DJO scored when needed but I never saw him force it. He also was a very good defensive player with strength . He also had the ability to use both hands not just on layups. Was a great college player.

Carlino is a chucker. When he gets hit he looks good. He reminds me more of Drew Neitzel from Michigan State.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
TW

Your definition of a chucker and mine are vastly different. Matt forces shots when trying to make things happen but overall not a chucker in my view. Plus 2-3 of shots a game are shot clock buzzer beaters and forced to take the shot.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:23:16 PM by Goose »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
DJO still one of my favorite MU players. Had the most defined chin I have ever seen.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
I enjoyed watching the DJO Jae team their senior season. Everyone played in such an unselfish way . DJO scored when needed but I never saw him force it. He also was a very good defensive player with strength . He also had the ability to use both hands not just on layups. Was a great college player.

Carlino is a chucker. When he gets hit he looks good. He reminds me more of Drew Neitzel from Michigan State.

You followed MU before JJJ committed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

You never saw DJO force a shot?  

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
DJO had it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHX0o_wDSM

Not saying DJO couldn't ever hit big shots - he obviously could and did.  But he never became MU's clear #1 go-to option.  His junior year, it was Jimmy; his senior year, it was Jae.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Not saying DJO couldn't ever hit big shots - he obviously could and did.  But he never became MU's clear #1 go-to option.  His junior year, it was Jimmy; his senior year, it was Jae.

Fair enough but I considered DJO and Jae to be 1a and 1b on that team.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »

DJO was the leading scorer both of those years though.  His JR year he was the leading scorer against Syracuse and hit the big shot to put MU in the Sweet 16.  Jimmy was 4-11, 10 points and had more of an impact on D in the NCAA than on O.  As a SR he and Jae each had 17 against Murray St.  To say DJO wasn't the clear #1 option is only recognizing how good Jimmy and Jae were those years.  I viewed DJO as Co-#1 option first with Jimmy, then with Jae.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »
You never saw DJO force a shot?  

They usually edit misses out of highlight videos.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
DJO was the leading scorer both of those years though.  His JR year he was the leading scorer against Syracuse and hit the big shot to put MU in the Sweet 16.  Jimmy was 4-11, 10 points and had more of an impact on D in the NCAA than on O.  As a SR he and Jae each had 17 against Murray St.  To say DJO wasn't the clear #1 option is only recognizing how good Jimmy and Jae were those years.  I viewed DJO as Co-#1 option first with Jimmy, then with Jae.

Its crazy how underrated he really was outside (and sometimes even within) the Maraquette community. He did so much for MU those two seasons, especially for his size. He even got drafted as an undersized 2, which rarely happens. Would love to have a player like DJO right now.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »
Carlino is absolutely a chucker. And the other thing about it is he is, at times, so anxious to launch another shot that he gets himself into terrible position leading to horrendous turnovers. I remember DJO having some cold spells, but I don't remember the bone headed decision making that we've seen out of Carlino.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
Well, then, thank goodness for chuckers.

DJO's supporting cast >>>>>> Carlino's

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
Well, then, thank goodness for chuckers.

DJO's supporting cast >>>>>> Carlino's
how about a side by side comparison of their HS recruiting rankings?  That's the only way to know for sure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
Carlino is absolutely a chucker. And the other thing about it is he is, at times, so anxious to launch another shot that he gets himself into terrible position leading to horrendous turnovers. I remember DJO having some cold spells, but I don't remember the bone headed decision making that we've seen out of Carlino.

Since Carlino shoots less often than DJO did, and at a higher accuracy (at least from deep), would you call DJO a chucker?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »
I hope he keeps chucking.  Who else has been scoring with any consistency?  No one.  Who has Carlino stopped from scoring consistently?  No one.

feedback