[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ban Yourself from Ners  (Read 47814 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Ban Yourself from Ners
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »
Dickey Simpkins is a horrible announcer, and I believe his Derrick love is way over the top.

But yes, let's look at the facts:

Dickey played four years in high school at a very high level. He then started for most of his four seasons at a Big East school and was good enough to be a first-round NBA draft pick. He then played six pro seasons, including three years for a championship team. And his knowledge impressed executives at both ESPN and Fox to employ him as an announcer for multiple seasons.

So ...

If I accept that Ners is right about a former high school player being a more qualified observer than a non-player ... it stands to reason that a six-year pro who excelled in college and high school absolutely must be a far more qualified observer than a former high school player. That's Logic 101.

Ipso fatso, Derrick Wilson is the heart and soul of this Marquette team, an outstanding point guard, a heady floor leader, and all of the other compliments Dickey throws at him.

I happen to disagree with those assessments, but Ners has absolutely no standing to disagree. After all, Dickey was a former high school AND college AND professional basketball player and therefore unquestionably is a superior observer.

Case closed!

This logic has been used before on him, but he is impervious to logic.  Just like his ability upthread to first dismiss a set of statistics and then also use those very same statistics to "prove" his point in the very same post, he can simultaneously hold his opinion as superior to others because he played high school basketball while dismissing the judgment of high D1, professional, and NBA players.

And then he wonders why he is laughed at.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:59:21 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Sorry, I usually don't stoop to this but I can't resist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCPKLcM_O2Q

And I wasn't a star wars nerd. I am a star wars nerd.  ;D

Your response beats my breakfast club reference, nice one. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
Have any of you guys ever worked for a large firm and some idiot sent off an email to say 500, 5,000 or 50,000 people by accident. And then the you start getting the replies from geniouses all over saying 'I shouldn't be included and please take me off this list'. And then more people reply to those emails saying 'I agree, take me off too'. And then you start getting the real smart ones jumping in and reply all yelling for everyone to stop replying to all. And this goes on and on with hundreds of emails clogging your inbox until IT figures out how to shut er down.

And you sit back and say why could'nt we just fire every single person who replied to this email?

That's what this thread is like. (And now i've joined it  :-\ )

+1

Wait, now I've joined it

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
Without a doubt the best part of the thread!

Thanks!  Happy to be a part of it.  Tip of the cap to you Haywards!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
1. Joe Maddon has made a WS though. And he does it with literally no payroll. The guy is the anti Gardy in that players come to Maddon and do far better than before...like a James Loney.

2. I wasn't saying our pitching staffs the last couple years, the Twins have been awful for 4 years now. I meant the playoff pitching staffs were all serviceable. Much like the O's of this year.

3. Gardy didn't like Hardy and the issue was giving up on him and O Dog(he was  going to be gone) and losing our middle infield continuity again. It also made the Santana and Gomez trades now null.

4. It was just an example of Gardy not really having clue. He's too paint by numbers. Lefty pitching? He must face the lefty. Right? Must be righty. There is no depth to his thinking and actually knowing the match ups

5. Again, this is an outsiders view. You won't find a Twins fan who likes Ryan. He is literally reffered to as Curly Ryan. This guy is clueless as they come. His only good trade ever? Liriano, Nathan and Bonser for Pierzynski. I'll let you guess which one of those 3 he thought was the "prize". The Pohlads are loaded. They don't like to spend, this team should have a bigger pay roll. But when they do...Ryan goes out and gets JUNK. And Gardy didn't win or make any of these guys better. In 2011 the payroll was like 110 mil. Scared them out of spending. Now they are spending again but doing it on Mike Pelfrey(6 mil a year??) 48 mil for Nolasco? Now even though he deserved a raise now they just threw the house at Hughes(he better not regress). See, throwing 20 mil a year at Lester may be a ton, but it has value. 12 mil a year for Nolasco is still a lot...with no value.

It's a concept management doesn't get. Hopefully Molitor has his way, tells Ryan to get the kids up here and lets them play. Because talent is everywhere if Terry just gets the right pitching.

While the Rays got to the WS with a low payroll, they had some massive talent on that team, none of it had reached free agency yet.  They had what a dozen years of top 5 picks?  Carl Crawford in his prime, Evan Longoria, BJ Upton (before he forgot how to play).  Their rotation featured James Shields, Matt Garza, Scott Kazmir, and some kid named Price coming out an otherwise very veteran pen. 

I think it says alot that the Twins made the playoffs so much with a staff that was serviceable.  Look at those other central teams you mentioned, the Tigers have dominant starting pitching.  That 2005 White Sox staff was best in the AL, the Royals this year had excellent pitching, especially in their pen. 

I also find it kind of funny that you disparage Terry Ryan, and pin your hopes on the young guys he has been in charge of drafting. 

You are definitely right on Pohald though, one of the worst owners in baseball in my opinion. 

Nolasco though, that guy made some serious money off one good season. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
Geez, now we are on the Rays baseball team. Let's talk more about Kate Upton.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
Anyone else find the interleaved baseball conversation in this thread highly amusing?

Yes.

And, it provides a great lesson that is related to the "other" issue being addressed in this thread.  With all due respect to buckchuckler and HaywardsHeroes32, I have absolutely no interest in their baseball discussion.  In fact, I was honestly only vaguely aware of what was being discussed.  I just recognized that it was off topic (and was amused by the fact that it was presumably being done intentionally and for effect).  The lesson, of course:  if you're not interested in a post, skip it.  It's not rocket science.

Bravo to buckchuckler and HaywardsHeroes32.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »
While the Rays got to the WS with a low payroll, they had some massive talent on that team, none of it had reached free agency yet.  They had what a dozen years of top 5 picks?  Carl Crawford in his prime, Evan Longoria, BJ Upton (before he forgot how to play).  Their rotation featured James Shields, Matt Garza, Scott Kazmir, and some kid named Price coming out an otherwise very veteran pen. 

I think it says alot that the Twins made the playoffs so much with a staff that was serviceable.  Look at those other central teams you mentioned, the Tigers have dominant starting pitching.  That 2005 White Sox staff was best in the AL, the Royals this year had excellent pitching, especially in their pen. 

I also find it kind of funny that you disparage Terry Ryan, and pin your hopes on the young guys he has been in charge of drafting. 

You are definitely right on Pohald though, one of the worst owners in baseball in my opinion. 

Nolasco though, that guy made some serious money off one good season. 

The Tigers in 2006 didn't have that great of starting pitching. Verlander ws  great rookie but he also was bad in the playoffs before the last couple years. Scherzer was never very good either. The Tigers just knew how to grind out games. If you actually look at a lot of the Twins losses to the Yanks in the playoffs...it wasn't even pitching that did them in(at least until late). So a lot is on the players obviously..no denying it. But players continually came and went but Gardy was always there...so obviously something just doesn't click.

It's also about more the Gardy treats certain players usually more talented ones. He throws them under the bus and talks up the Puntos of the world(the same guy who single handedly ran us out of the yanks series in 09). They also give short leash to the young guys but "ride" out aging vets. Why let Mike Pelfrey keep getting smoked around? Arcia has been dicked around for 2 years. His K rates and majors average are bad but through a full season AB's hes 35 homers 100 RBI. Let the kid play!! Hes too good for the minors. He was our second leading average guy in 2013 behind MAUER. Had a rough 0-18 with 12 Ks stretch in 4 games(awful no doubt) only Morneau passed him average. He was sent to the minors for over a month...WTF????

I disparage Ryan because he doesn't know how to build a team. He fails trades, he fails free Agent signings. Sorry I can't give him props for getting can't miss guys like Buxton, Gordon and Stewart. Or winning phenom Sano's rights. Arcia, Vargas etc.. All these guys have been known studs. Its the one pro to sucking a lot fall in your lap. I hate the "wait for the time clock" for extra years on these guys. You want them all to be 27 year old rookies? Danny Santana is a short stop...don't play him in center field.

He likes to go out and get "average" NL pitchers and think that they can pitch in the AL. Sorry but a 4.30 ERA isn't good as is...bring it to the AL? Corriea, Pelfrey, Nolasco...Ramon Ortiz, Ponson(remember these)?.

Too often Gardy would play guys like Clete Thomas and other journeymen. Why play a crap 30 year old no other team wants rather than let your 23-25 year old studs get PT? All indications are Molitor does not share that same view. Its why most are really excited about how fun 2016 could be.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
Yes.

And, it provides a great lesson that is related to the "other" issue being addressed in this thread.  With all due respect to buckchuckler and HaywardsHeroes32, I have absolutely no interest in their baseball discussion.  In fact, I was honestly only vaguely aware of what was being discussed.  I just recognized that it was off topic (and was amused by the fact that it was presumably being done intentionally and for effect).  The lesson, of course:  if you're not interested in a post, skip it.  It's not rocket science.

Bravo to buckchuckler and HaywardsHeroes32.

Yup lol as soon as buck responded to my first little Gardy comment. I figured it's all good to actually roll with it. This thread has no relevance to MU bball as it is.

I love seeing outsiders views on the Gardy/Ryan and how they appear compared to people who watch their every move.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Clarification:  I don't "befriend" them - I appreciate, value, and share the opinions of guys who are far more involved and experienced in the game than vast majority of armchair idiots (like you Reinko) posting in this thread.  And just as many of the guys here that share similar opinions (that I disagree with) tend to "befriend" each other, the same occurs for me as a result of sharing similar opinions.

Yet we have members of the band, guys who were Star Wars nerds, and every thing else under the sun other than playing basketball discrediting the above posters.  Talk about arrogant.

I'm curious.....are you more, less or equally insufferable in person as you are here?  I'm sorry but playing in high school and dunking in pick-up games at the rec center doesn't necessarily make your OPINIONS any more valid than a huge hoops fan that happens to also be a Stars Wars nerd who didn't play high school ball.  Maybe you're a good dude but perception is reality and more often than not you come off as either a giant douche or a turd sandwich, although I'm still undecided on which is more accurate.  

feedback