Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Silver Lining  (Read 16090 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Silver Lining
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
OK, I hate losing as much as anyone in here. And as bad as the refs were, they did not cause us to lose. There were more than a few times when we could have made up one or even two points (i.e., look at the difference in free throw percentage through regulation).

That said, I think there is a silver lining in yesterday. We actually played hard and worked as a team. We weren't quite there, but you could see Wojo all over this team. The evidence:

1) On at least two occasions, Derrick Wilson drove fearlessly and ferociously to the basket. I may be old, but I never recalled a Derrick Thunder Dunk like I saw yesterday.
2) Duane Wilson looked like the real thing. Now I know why the Hillbilly was so forlorn after Duane was gone last year. He stepped up and other than a couple missed free throws, he could do no wrong.
3) Luke Fischer, when he was in the game, played defense. Get him some additional support and we're going to be dynamite.
4) We went from one of the nation's worst defenses to one of the best defending teams in about six weeks, in season. That alone should get Wojo some votes for coach of the year.

Look, we don't have the horses -- yet. Our team is much improved in attitude and hustle over what we saw a year ago. We need more players and more strength underneath. But the beginning of the plan is there and the nightmare that started about this time a year ago is starting to come to the end.

Our team still has work to do, but the guys are hanging in there and showing real improvement. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Silver Lining
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
Way to take the long view.   I am encouraged by what I see.   I see total buy in from the 8 guys on the floor.   As opposed to last year, I see senior teaching the young guys.    I see development of those guys.   I see what Duane, Luke, Sandy can become.   
I expected 14 wins this year.   That was before the two transfers out.     What I wanted to see was growth, both from the players and the coaches.   I wanted to see coaching that high school kids would want.  I wanted to see that Wojo could go beyond being K's right hand man.   I wanted to see independent thought.    I am seeing that.    I do not care about wins and losses this year.    This year is about laying the foundation. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Preach.

Oh yeah, and we have a coach who values more than measurables. We will soon have some skilled basketball players on our roster.

And Hank. We'll have Hank.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »
OK, I hate losing as much as anyone in here. And as bad as the refs were, they did not cause us to lose. There were more than a few times when we could have made up one or even two points (i.e., look at the difference in free throw percentage through regulation).

That said, I think there is a silver lining in yesterday. We actually played hard and worked as a team. We weren't quite there, but you could see Wojo all over this team. The evidence:

1) On at least two occasions, Derrick Wilson drove fearlessly and ferociously to the basket. I may be old, but I never recalled a Derrick Thunder Dunk like I saw yesterday.
2) Duane Wilson looked like the real thing. Now I know why the Hillbilly was so forlorn after Duane was gone last year. He stepped up and other than a couple missed free throws, he could do no wrong.
3) Luke Fischer, when he was in the game, played defense. Get him some additional support and we're going to be dynamite.
4) We went from one of the nation's worst defenses to one of the best defending teams in about six weeks, in season. That alone should get Wojo some votes for coach of the year.

Look, we don't have the horses -- yet. Our team is much improved in attitude and hustle over what we saw a year ago. We need more players and more strength underneath. But the beginning of the plan is there and the nightmare that started about this time a year ago is starting to come to the end.

Our team still has work to do, but the guys are hanging in there and showing real improvement. 
I believe Yesterday was encouraging. On the other hand I attribute it more to the players than to Wojo. Wojo gets credit for developing Derrick into a serviceable player. My beef is he has done it at the expense of several other players and the teams future. I believe it did not have to be a zero sum game in that regard. Wojo has a my way or the highway attitude. That is okay if you have a track record, but he has none. Reducing JJJ to zombie status is not a smart move in my book.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:38 PM »
I believe Yesterday was encouraging. On the other hand I attribute it more to the players than to Wojo. Wojo gets credit for developing Derrick into a serviceable player. My beef is he has done it at the expense of several other players and the teams future. I believe it did not have to be a zero sum game in that regard. Wojo has a my way or the highway attitude. That is okay if you have a track record, but he has none. Reducing JJJ, Burton, and Dawson to zombie status was not a smart move in my book.

Agree.  With a few edits.  Duane Wilson and Matt Carlino yesterday largely were performing due to great individual effort/talent.  There were some nice screens set for Carlino to try to free him for shots, but largely both he and Duane were making shots borne out of their own talent versus an offensive scheme that facilitated good looks.  Then again, our offense is bogged down and hampered by having a very limited PG.

I too believe Wojo is a my way/highway guy, and as you say, it's okay if you have a track record, yet if you don't - probably a good thing to be a little more flexible in your approach and understand not all guys are of the same ilk as you - nor do they need to be in order to be successful.  Wojo strikes me as having an athlete version Napoleonic complex - one borne out of not having had elite athleticism, talent - but having to find his success through sheer will, drive and grittiness - traits often very talented guys don't have as much of as their foundation and God-given ability are at a higher level to where they still can achieve great things due to winning more on the "genetic lottery."
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »
Agree.  With a few edits.  Duane Wilson and Matt Carlino yesterday largely were performing due to great individual effort/talent.  There were some nice screens set for Carlino to try to free him for shots, but largely both he and Duane were making shots borne out of their own talent versus an offensive scheme that facilitated good looks.  Then again, our offense is bogged down and hampered by having a very limited PG.

I too believe Wojo is a my way/highway guy, and as you say, it's okay if you have a track record, yet if you don't - probably a good thing to be a little more flexible in your approach and understand not all guys are of the same ilk as you - nor do they need to be in order to be successful.  Wojo strikes me as having an athlete version Napoleonic complex - one borne out of not having had elite athleticism, talent - but having to find his success through sheer will, drive and grittiness - traits often very talented guys don't have as much of as their foundation and God-given ability are at a higher level to where they still can achieve great things due to winning more on the "genetic lottery."
Yes and if Wojo would acknowledge that very few people actually have the sheer will, drive and grittiness that he did. Those are very unique qualities that do not come along often. Many successful coaches will tell you the one thing they cannot coach is heart. Wojo  would be better off figuring out what makes JJJ an exceptional player and drawing that out of him  rather than trying to convert him into another Derrick.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »

I too believe Wojo is a my way/highway guy…..

You think the great ones -- Al, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Coach K, Dean Smith -- weren't? Look, you have a bunch of 18-23 year old guys who generally came out of high schools where everyone around them worshipped the ground they walked on. Now they're in college and are one of 12 who have to prove themselves.

I want Jujuan to succeed, just like I did Vander and Jamil before him. But it isn't going to be because we build the offense and defense of our basketball team around JJJ, or anyone else for that matter. Last time I saw that happen was when Pete Maravich was at LSU and it helped that his Daddy, Press, was the head coach.

We'll be successful because Jujuan, Duane, Henry and the guys are part of a mature basketball team that plays together and talks to each other as a team.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »
Yes and if Wojo would acknowledge that very few people actually have the sheer will, drive and grittiness that he did. Those are very unique qualities that do not come along often. Many successful coaches will tell you the one thing they cannot coach is heart. Wojo  would be better off figuring out what makes JJJ an exceptional player and drawing that out of him  rather than trying to convert him into another Derrick.

And how do you know Wojo is not drawing that out of him in ways that we can't see since we are not part of the program.  Do you know anything about coaching?  Wojo has done nothing but impress me with what he has done this year and I find your posts absolutely laughable(yes I had you on ignore, but you get quoted so often for people disagreeing with you that it is pointless).  You seem to know what goes on in the locker room and what goes on in his individual meetings with players.  You blame Wojo and Carlino for Burton and Dawson transferring, instead of understanding that they just weren't that good (in Burton's case at least defensively and rebounding) and didn't fit into the system that Wojo is trying to build.  In the long term, this was what was best for the program.  If Wojo made all his decisions for the here and now, how the heck is he supposed to build a program.  

So because Wojo doesn't have a history yet as a head coach, he should compromise his beliefs and values to keep a non-hardworking kid happy?  Really.  Maybe Wojo is able to reach JJJ or maybe he doesn't.  If he doesn't, I am going to put the blame on the kid that hasn't shown he can play in this type of system and isn't willing to work hard, not a coach that has the leadership to not let the kids run the program.  

One of the most difficult things for a new coach is to coach athletes that another coach recruited.  Wojo would not have recruited Burton or Dawson or JJJ, but he has done an excellent job of getting the most out of this team and as many have mentioned, there is a much different attitude and feel than last year. He didn't run Burton or Dawson out of the program; he expected things done a certain way and they chose to leave, one of who was dealing with the very traumatic loss of his mother.  You mentioned in another post how disappointed you were in Wojo for letting these guys transfer.  A coach that has done an amazing job in pretty much every facet of the job and is building a program for the future with a culture that is built on a winning attitude; "win every day".  I do not think Wojo is perfect by any means, but the criticism of guys like you and Ners for things that none of us can really know unless we were at every practice and every meeting, is just completely off base.  

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:41:45 PM »
You think the great ones -- Al, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Coach K, Dean Smith -- weren't? Look, you have a bunch of 18-23 year old guys who generally came out of high schools where everyone around them worshipped the ground they walked on. Now they're in college and are one of 12 who have to prove themselves.

For that matter, Buzz is like that. He has admitted to trying to run Acker and Cooby off his first year because he didn't think they were big enough. Look how many of the guys he recruited left because they didn't fit the system or effort he required.

Those "unique qualities" of guys putting in that level of effort characterize many of our players over the past few years. Jimmy, Jae, Junior, CO, Derrick, the list goes on and on. Very few players will succeed at the high major level without putting in tons of effort to go along with their talent.

If a guy isn't willing to make hard work a priority, I would have no problem with a coach moving him along. I'd have more issue with a coach that wasn't willing to seek out high effort guys. It's the guys with talent and effort that lead you to wins.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »
And how do you know Wojo is not drawing that out of him in ways that we can't see since we are not part of the program.  Do you know anything about coaching?  Wojo has done nothing but impress me with what he has done this year and I find your posts absolutely laughable(yes I had you on ignore, but you get quoted so often for people disagreeing with you that it is pointless).  You seem to know what goes on in the locker room and what goes on in his individual meetings with players.  You blame Wojo and Carlino for Burton and Dawson transferring, instead of understanding that they just weren't that good (in Burton's case at least defensively and rebounding) and didn't fit into the system that Wojo is trying to build.  In the long term, this was what was best for the program.  If Wojo made all his decisions for the here and now, how the heck is he supposed to build a program.  

So because Wojo doesn't have a history yet as a head coach, he should compromise his beliefs and values to keep a non-hardworking kid happy?  Really.  Maybe Wojo is able to reach JJJ or maybe he doesn't.  If he doesn't, I am going to put the blame on the kid that hasn't shown he can play in this type of system and isn't willing to work hard, not a coach that has the leadership to not let the kids run the program.  

One of the most difficult things for a new coach is to coach athletes that another coach recruited.  Wojo would not have recruited Burton or Dawson or JJJ, but he has done an excellent job of getting the most out of this team and as many have mentioned, there is a much different attitude and feel than last year. He didn't run Burton or Dawson out of the program; he expected things done a certain way and they chose to leave, one of who was dealing with the very traumatic loss of his mother.  You mentioned in another post how disappointed you were in Wojo for letting these guys transfer.  A coach that has done an amazing job in pretty much every facet of the job and is building a program for the future with a culture that is built on a winning attitude; "win every day".  I do not think Wojo is perfect by any means, but the criticism of guys like you and Ners for things that none of us can really know unless we were at every practice and every meeting, is just completely off base.  
I blame Wojo for Burton leaving not Carlino. I felt bringing in Carlino was going to upset a delicate balance. Wojo asked the kids to buy in as a family and they all agreed to. The next thing he does is bring in gun slinging outsider in a position we were very deep at. Does not build trust.  At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support. Next year when we see Deonte doing well for Iowa State people will wish he was here. I disagree with you that Deonte was not good at defense , he created a lot of breakaways off of steals. That is something that is worth a lot.  

As to JJJ he has done nothing but work his rear end off every time he gets on the court. He hustles all the time and has been noted by many former coaches to have been a hard worker in practice.  The kid has real athletic  ability and yet Wojo is trying to make him into a clone of Derrick.  I want a kid like JJJ constantly on the attack. Not just passing the ball along.  So I don't think Wojo is drawing anything out of him. Precisely the opposite, he is depressing the hell out of a very happy enthusiastic kid.

I felt from the beginning that the President of the University would pick a coach that he would get along with, instead of picking a coach that would be good for the kids. We got exactly that, a corporate clone type. There were so many other guys who could have taken our talent and done something with it. In theory Wojo got a big recruiting class coming in. We will see what he can do with that. Frankly I expect to hear people give the same old tired excuse that they aren't all his kids.

A good coach knows that all the kids are his the minute he takes the job.

I want to see MU win in line with our tradition. We are not in any way a program that needed turning around.

If the guy is more open minded we can still win the Big East Tournament.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:51:51 AM »
I blame Wojo for Burton leaving not Carlino. I felt bringing in Carlino was going to upset a delicate balance. Wojo asked the kids to buy in as a family and they all agreed to. The next thing he does is bring in gun slinging outsider in a position we were very deep at. Does not build trust.  At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support. Next year when we see Deonte doing well for Iowa State people will wish he was here. I disagree with you that Deonte was not good at defense , he created a lot of breakaways off of steals. That is something that is worth a lot.  

As to JJJ he has done nothing but work his rear end off every time he gets on the court. He hustles all the time and has been noted by many former coaches to have been a hard worker in practice.  The kid has real athletic  ability and yet Wojo is trying to make him into a clone of Derrick.  I want a kid like JJJ constantly on the attack. Not just passing the ball along.  So I don't think Wojo is drawing anything out of him. Precisely the opposite, he is depressing the hell out of a very happy enthusiastic kid.

I felt from the beginning that the President of the University would pick a coach that he would get along with, instead of picking a coach that would be good for the kids. We got exactly that, a corporate clone type. There were so many other guys who could have taken our talent and done something with it. In theory Wojo got a big recruiting class coming in. We will see what he can do with that. Frankly I expect to hear people give the same old tired excuse that they aren't all his kids.

I want to see MU win in line with our tradition. We are not in any way a program that needed turning around.

Again, you are making assumption after assumption after assumption.  In a previous thread you did indicate that Carlino has upset the team chemistry and was a big reason why Burton and Dawson transferred.  How do you know he has upset team chemistry.  I don't see that at all on the court and see no indication of it off the court, but of course I am not around those guys. 

We were really deep with players like Carlino?  Really.  You see no value to having brought in Carlino?  Wojo lost trust by bringing in a point guard that can score, to a team with no proven outside shooters?  Where would this team be without Carlino?  That's right, Burton would still be here scoring 20 points a game and miraculously learned how to play all around defense and actually get a rebound and he would have gotten over the death of his mother if not for Carlino being here.  Dawson would have become what Ners expected all along, an excellent Big East guard. 

You seemed to think that Wojo threw Burton under the bus?  Again, really with the assumptions.  I am going to pretend that I get to be at all the practices and one to one meetings with Burton and Wojo.  The way I see it was that Burton talked continuously about the loss of his mother to coach Wojo and apologized for not being as focused on practice and games as he would like, but the memories of his mom were too tough to deal with being so close to home.  Wojo helped counsel him and played him as much as he could in the games without hurting the team too much, but finally Burton said he just needed to get away (as he was quoted on why he transferred) and even though Wojo knew it would be tough with only 8 scholarship players, he gave him his blessings and wished him the best of luck, knowing that for both Burton and the team, it was probably the best move for the long run.  Now of course I have no idea what exactly went down and I wouldn't try to state things as fact, because making assumptions as if they are facts only makes a person look like they have no clue.   

Do you honestly believe that another coach would be getting more out of this team than Wojo?  Do you watch basketball games at all?  Do you understand the psychology of coaching?  Do you understand what makes a strong leader?  I think any other hire that would have been made, including Shaka, would have this team performing well below what Wojo has done this year.  Just for his ability to adjust I am completely impressed.  Taking a team that could absolutely not play man to man defense (with players he didn't recruit of course) and lost to a team like Nebraska-Omaha and to go against what he believes in and change to an excellent zone defensive team is pretty outstanding.

So who are these many coaches that say JJJ works really hard in practice?  Are they college coaches?  I don't think so because I don't believe Buzz or Wojo said that.  So if it is a high school coach or AAU coach it really doesn't matter to me what they said, since Big East college basketball is just slightly different than high school.  I have no idea if he works hard, but I am going to put the trust in the coaches who see him every day, not someone on a message board saying he does. 

I do not see anyone trying to make JJJ into a clone of Derek.  Not sure why any coach would want to do that, given Derek's limitations.  JJJ has much more talent than Derek, but defense is still going to be important no matter what.  And as for your statement that he works his butt off every time he is on the court, don't mistake enthusiasm (yes he has that) for hard work.  I saw a guy that had an amazing dunk and then almost immediately do a lazy mistake, of which he does several a game.  The mistakes he makes are not something a player of his athletic ability should be making; they are just being careless and lazy more often than not.  Lazy passes, trying to play one on three when another guy is open, not getting back on defense.  I really don't want to be criticizing JJJ because I actually like him and all the players on the team, but I am just trying to get you to see what others are seeing and more importantly, what the coaches are seeing and most likely working on and talking with JJJ about on a daily basis.  I would not be surprised to see JJJ averaging 15 points a game next year, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer.  He will decide that and it won't mean he was driven out or thrown under the bus; it will mean that another one of Buzz's recruits didn't fit the system that Wojo is trying to instill in these players from day one, "win everyday". 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:43:55 AM »
Texas Western, you are entitled to your opinion, I will let it be.   "If the guy is more open minded we can still win the Big East Tournament."   No we can't.    It is likely that MU is going to have to win 4 games in 4 days with 8 players to do that.   Too big of an ask.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:57:13 AM »
Texas Western, you are entitled to your opinion, I will let it be.   "If the guy is more open minded we can still win the Big East Tournament."   No we can't.    It is likely that MU is going to have to win 4 games in 4 days with 8 players to do that.   Too big of an ask.   
I believe we have the talent in place to win the tournament. I have yet to see a team blow us out in league play. It is just a question if the right playing combinations playing at the right time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »
I completely agree that not being blown out is important.  MU has been competitive in every game this year and that is something to build on.   4 games in 4 days is beyond the capabilities of any 8 player team.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:31:06 AM by tower912 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
And Hank. We'll have Hank.

As long as it's not this Hank.  When we recruit a cute dog to distract everyone from losing, then I'll worry.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support.
i've talked with two people i know within the athletic department that say just the opposite.  perhaps the fact that you would accuse a coach of throwing a kid under the bus and showing no sympathy or support to a player who lost his mother says a lot about the type of person you are? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »
TW, I appreciate that you keep your posts civil. But you make a lot of crap up.

PG was our weakest position last season. 3P shooting was our worst skill. Why wouldn't you bring in a senior PG who specializes in outside shooting? He was the best available player when we had three scholarships to fill. Do you understand how bad we would be without Carlino? We're talking having a 6-13 record at this point. I am all about building for the future but I'm not willing to chuck this season out the window. Wojo brought in an impact player late in the game when there were very few impact players to be had. That is a coaching no brainer.

You also make it out like the rest of the team hates Carlino. I know for a fact that he is well liked by his teammates and they look up to him as one of the leaders of this team. Probably 2nd only to Derrick in terms of leadership.

You also make up a story about Wojo having no sympathy for Burton. I know for a fact this isn't true. He gave Burton time to grieve and gave him overwhelming support. No, he didn't give him extra playing time. No coach would do that. If Burton wasn't producing, which he wasn't, than he needed to come off the bench. Yes, I will miss Burton. I think he is going to be a fantastic player for Iowa State. But I don't think the situation could be resolved. Talk about "not having sympathy" and "throwing Burton under the bus" is pure fiction.

If you think JjJ's performances on the court are worthy of more playing time, I don't know what to tell you. Kid is struggling right now. But you may have noticed that the six game stretch before he struggled, he got a ton of playing time from Wojo. Again, you are making things up to fit your narrative. I really have no idea what you mean about "turning him into a clone of Derrick." JjJ is on the attack constantly, and when it is working, Wojo let's him play. When he's chucking up ill advised threes and getting 10 feet out of position on defense (not an exaggeration) he is going to be sent to the bench, just like any other player. Wojo is "depressing the hell out of" JjJ?  Seriously? What evidence do you have of this? This is pure fabrication. And even if it was true, what is your solution? Give him more playing time because he's upset? Should we give Taylor extended playing time because he's upset with his role?

I'm not going to give you the "excuse" that you expect. Why? Because Wojo has taken someone else's kids and made them his own. The players look up to and respect Wojo. He has emphasized relationships with players from day 1. He talked JjJ and Taylor off the transfer ledge. Just because you don't like his PT allotment is no proof "a stiff corporate type who isn't good for the kids."

I'm getting tired of the argument that another coach could have won with this talent. Maybe you want to respond to my case study about the University of Florida. Wojo inherited a team that coudn't make the NIT last season....and lost 74% of its scoring, ~80% of its rebounding, over half of its three point shooting. People who understand college basketball understand that all this addition by subtraction that a handful of people expected to happen is a myth. You can't lose that much and replace it with two freshmen and a graduate transfer and expect to win. How is that such a difficult concept to understand.

We didn't need turning around? You do understand that we didn't make the NIT last season? That is a negative trajectory. That means we needed to be turned around. It wasn't a rebuild job but he didn't inherit a winning roster for this season. You do understand by every predictive measurement, we are actually outperforming what is expected of us. Wojo has taken a shell of a roster and has turned it into a team that can hang with the big boys and even still win a few. Are we making the tournament? Probably not. But NO ONE, save a few people here, actually expected us to.

How much more open minded do you want Wojo to be? He's playing Sandy for massively increased minutes. He lowered Juan's playing time to 21 minutes 2 games ago. Derrick has had two games in a row of his lowest playing time in the conference season, despite one of those going into overtime.

All that's happened is that you have developed some sort of attachment to JjJ where as long as he is not getting minutes, you will think Wojo is screwing with people. You value JjJ above the team. No one player is ever bigger than the team.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:09:53 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
i've talked with two people i know within the athletic department that say just the opposite.  perhaps the fact that you would accuse a coach of throwing a kid under the bus and showing no sympathy or support to a player who lost his mother says a lot about the type of person you are?  

Texas is talking out of his ass when it comes to Burton. They were very accommodating and supportive of Deonte after his mom passed. The reason he left had more to do with basketball, and what he wanted his role to be. And that was at odds with what Wojo needed from him. Change of scenery was needed.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »
Getting back on topic, there is just not much margin for error this year.  We are a decent team by Big East standards but not clearly better than any other team.  Honestly, we were lucky to beat Creighton at home and they seem to be the worst team in the conference.  I am still cautiously optimistic about the future, although the more I watch this team the more I worry about what we will do without Carlino.  He is a fantastic shooter, great leader and tough competitor.  I don't see anyone who will replace that next year and we will also be losing Derrick and Juan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »
TW, I appreciate that you keep your posts civil. But you make a lot of crap up.

PG was our weakest position last season. 3P shooting was our worst skill. Why wouldn't you bring in a senior PG who specializes in outside shooting? He was the best available player when we had three scholarships to fill. Do you understand how bad we would be without Carlino? We're talking having a 6-13 record at this point. I am all about building for the future but I'm not willing to chuck this season out the window. Wojo brought in an impact player late in the game when there were very few impact players to be had. That is a coaching no brainer.

You also make it out like the rest of the team hates Carlino. I know for a fact that he is well liked by his teammates and they look up to him as one of the leaders of this team. Probably 2nd only to Derrick in terms of leadership.

You also make up a story about Wojo having no sympathy for Burton. I know for a fact this isn't true. He gave Burton time to grieve and gave him overwhelming support. No, he didn't give him extra playing time. No coach would do that. If Burton wasn't producing, which he wasn't, than he needed to come off the bench. Yes, I will miss Burton. I think he is going to be a fantastic player for Iowa State. But I don't think the situation could be resolved. Talk about "not having sympathy" and "throwing Burton under the bus" is pure fiction.

If you think JjJ's performances on the court are worthy of more playing time, I don't know what to tell you. Kid is struggling right now. But you may have noticed that the six game stretch before he struggled, he got a ton of playing time from Wojo. Again, you are making things up to fit your narrative. I really have no idea what you mean about "turning him into a clone of Derrick." JjJ is on the attack constantly, and when it is working, Wojo let's him play. When he's chucking up ill advised threes and getting 10 feet out of position on defense (not an exaggeration) he is going to be sent to the bench, just like any other player. Wojo is "depressing the hell out of" JjJ?  Seriously? What evidence do you have of this? This is pure fabrication. And even if it was true, what is your solution? Give him more playing time because he's upset? Should we give Taylor extended playing time because he's upset with his role?

I'm not going to give you the "excuse" that you expect. Why? Because Wojo has taken someone else's kids and made them his own. The players look up to and respect Wojo. He has emphasized relationships with players from day 1. He talked JjJ and Taylor off the transfer ledge. Just because you don't like his PT allotment is no proof "a stiff corporate type who isn't good for the kids."

I'm getting tired of the argument that another coach could have won with this talent. Maybe you want to respond to my case study about the University of Florida. Wojo inherited a team that coudn't make the NIT last season....and lost 74% of its scoring, ~80% of its rebounding, over half of its three point shooting. People who understand college basketball understand that all this addition by subtraction that a handful of people expected to happen is a myth. You can't lose that much and replace it with two freshmen and a graduate transfer and expect to win. How is that such a difficult concept to understand.

We didn't need turning around? You do understand that we didn't make the NIT last season? That is a negative trajectory. That means we needed to be turned around. It wasn't a rebuild job but he didn't inherit a winning roster for this season. You do understand by every predictive measurement, we are actually outperforming what is expected of us. Wojo has taken a shell of a roster and has turned it into a team that can hang with the big boys and even still win a few. Are we making the tournament? Probably not. But NO ONE, save a few people here, actually expected us to.

How much more open minded do you want Wojo to be? He's playing Sandy for massively increased minutes. He lowered Juan's playing time to 21 minutes 2 games ago. Derrick has had two games in a row of his lowest playing time in the conference season, despite one of those going into overtime.

All that's happened is that you have developed some sort of attachment to JjJ where as long as he is not getting minutes, you will think Wojo is screwing with people. You value JjJ above the team. No one player is ever bigger than the team.

There really isn't much to contend here.  Has Wojo been perfect?  Hardly.  The Gabe Levin situation was strange. 

But I simply don't understand why they think he is screwing with JJJ.  JJJ gets plenty of playing time.  He gets "extended runs" pretty much every game he is in.  He simply does not produce as much as other players do. 

And for those who don't think that Wojo should have brought Carlino in here, well I don't know what to tell you. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »

I have seen nothing to suggest that Wojo is a "corporate clone type."

Where do you come up with this sh*t?

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »
So thankful others are seeing how absurd Texas Western's posts are.  As I have said, what bothers me is he posts things as if they are fact, such as this one: 

"At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support".

There was nothing to indicate that Wojo threw Burton under the bus or that he clearly didn't have any sympathy for Burton.  Now people who are in the know more than TW or myself are indicating that he did just the opposite, but a guy on a message board is willing to continually criticize our coach for things that aren't even true.  No coach is above constructive criticism and Wojo is not perfect, but please TW, stop making assumptions and posting your thoughts on your incorrect assumptions over and over again. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
I blame Wojo for Burton leaving not Carlino. I felt bringing in Carlino was going to upset a delicate balance. Wojo asked the kids to buy in as a family and they all agreed to. The next thing he does is bring in gun slinging outsider in a position we were very deep at. Does not build trust.  At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support. Next year when we see Deonte doing well for Iowa State people will wish he was here. I disagree with you that Deonte was not good at defense , he created a lot of breakaways off of steals. That is something that is worth a lot. 

As to JJJ he has done nothing but work his rear end off every time he gets on the court. He hustles all the time and has been noted by many former coaches to have been a hard worker in practice.  The kid has real athletic  ability and yet Wojo is trying to make him into a clone of Derrick.  I want a kid like JJJ constantly on the attack. Not just passing the ball along.  So I don't think Wojo is drawing anything out of him. Precisely the opposite, he is depressing the hell out of a very happy enthusiastic kid.

Congrats, Mr. Hutz.

http://youtu.be/YZoQFVVXV2s?t=3m37s
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:14:31 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
At the beginning of the year the prevailing thought, if not consensus, was that this year's success would be measured in progress of players more so than wins and losses.  By that measure I think Wojo's been very successful.  Other than Steve, who appears to have a physical issue, I think every single player has gotten better as the season has progressed.

Last season was marked by a complete lack of improvement not only from the previous year, but throughout the season itself.  This year has been quite the opposite.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
So thankful others are seeing how absurd Texas Western's posts are.  As I have said, what bothers me is he posts things as if they are fact, such as this one: 

"At the very least Wojo should have had some sympathy for Burton which he clearly didn't. It showed me a lot about who he was as a person. Was willing to throw a kid under the bus at the precise time he needed support".

There was nothing to indicate that Wojo threw Burton under the bus or that he clearly didn't have any sympathy for Burton.  Now people who are in the know more than TW or myself are indicating that he did just the opposite, but a guy on a message board is willing to continually criticize our coach for things that aren't even true.  No coach is above constructive criticism and Wojo is not perfect, but please TW, stop making assumptions and posting your thoughts on your incorrect assumptions over and over again. 

You make a lot of nice points in your posts.  Question for you:  What do you think matters more to Deonte than anything in the world at this time in his life?

My GUESS would be that his two loves in life were his Mom and basketball.  So, he loses his Mom at a young age, and while all of that is going on, our Head Coach is yanking him in and out of basketball games, essentially giving his position to Derrick Wilson (a wing defender on our 2-3 zone), and giving him 16 minutes per game, all while the team is losing games to UNO, beating no one of consequence and Deonte Burton is shooting 47.6% from the Field, 77% from the FT Line and 40% from the 3 point line - all team highs at the time of his transfer.

The term TW used - "throwing Deonte under the bus" was referring to the above.  

Lastly, how nice would a 3rd scorer have looked on this team right now?  All this team needs is a good 3rd scoring threat at this time and it is a big time winner.  And, with what is left on the roster NOW, the best candidate to add this production is JJJ or Cohen.  The current formula is nice and all, and we are competitive, but like last year, again, we'll have a bunch of near wins and our head coach won't have deviated at all to attempt to try to see if a different combination of players could yield more wins.

Furthermore, Wojo has said both Derrick and Juan are elite defenders - why weren't we able to be effective in Wojo's preferred man to man defense then?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013