[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Time for Marquette to move to the Atlantic 10.....  (Read 18875 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Time for Marquette to move to the Atlantic 10.....
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »
For whatever my opinion is worth, don't ban him.  The guy is entertaining.  Unless he is saying something offensive and/or megaposting, I don't see the harm in this type of trolling.  It is amusing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »
Would probably be a good example of fewer tickets available driving up the demand for the remaining tickets. People usually want to go to something more if it's harder to get in to.

Exactly. 

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:38 AM »

I really do wish that Marquette played in a 12,000 seat on-campus arena that was specifically made for basketball.  There are all sorts of reasons why that won't happen however.

There may be multiple reasons, but the ability to pay for it seems like it would rank high on that list.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
There may be multiple reasons, but the ability to pay for it seems like it would rank high on that list.

Even if MU had the money, the hwy logistics/parking would be a big hurdle.

AND, MU would essentially have an arena and parking ramp that they would need for approx. 20 days of use. Now, obviously MU can attempt to book other events, which is great, but there isn't huge demand for event space when there are already 2 other full size arenas and several concert venues in the city.

connie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
I will take having 13,000 in the BC ANY DAY over 7 k in the depressing, smelly Pather Dungeon.  Having been in that hole several times this year the very idea that you would suggest this as a serious alternative is comical.  My only regret is that I actually read and responded to this, and I will bear the shame of that failure for some time.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »
Even if MU had the money, the hwy logistics/parking would be a big hurdle.

AND, MU would essentially have an arena and parking ramp that they would need for approx. 20 days of use. Now, obviously MU can attempt to book other events, which is great, but there isn't huge demand for event space when there are already 2 other full size arenas and several concert venues in the city.

Yeah you are hitting on a lot of the problems.  I should have said that this arena would be in place instead of the Al.  So it would be used for practice, athletic administrative offices, etc.

Not going to happen but still.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
If there were 15,000 actual butts in seats yesterday, I would be shocked. No doubt there were 15,000 seats sold, but I would have guessed the attendance closer to between 12,000 and 12,500. There was a LOT of the crowd masquerading as empty seats, especially on the upper deck, in the corners and behind the baskets. There also was a surprisingly large number of empty lower bowl seats.

Saturday's crowd seemed like the largest other than the WI game. I was actually amazed at how much the upper sections around me filled in - I was expecting to have to move from the seats we "borrowed" in 418. There were even a lot of Hoya fans in the BC.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »

Yeah you are hitting on a lot of the problems.  I should have said that this arena would be in place instead of the Al.  So it would be used for practice, athletic administrative offices, etc.

Not going to happen but still.

Ya, and even still, you have a 12K+ person building just to host practices and offices for 345 days per year? Seems like a lot of unused space.

If there was big enough demand that MU could attract programing/events on non-basketball days, then I think it would be awesome. MU's neighborhood could use some additional revenue potential, especially during the summer months.

BUT, there are plenty of venues around right now... so it seems likely that the building would sit "empty" quite often. (obviously they could have practice and admin offices, but that's not really a full use of such a large facility).

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »
Ya, and even still, you have a 12K+ person building just to host practices and offices for 345 days per year? Seems like a lot of unused space.

There's still women's basketball and volleyball to occupy days, but that's really only another 30.

And neither of those sports would benefit from playing in caverns.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »

What do you think happens at places the Kohl Center most of the time?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »

What do you think happens at places the Kohl Center most of the time?

They have hockey as well (men's and women's), and I'm not sure what their event calender looks like, but I would guess they can host some concerts and other events as well.

Also, state tournaments for a variety for sports (although doesn't GB host some now as well?)

AND, being a publicly funded school with an enormous athletic budget helps.

From a UW sports perspective, it looks like they use it about 80+ times per year (men's and womens hockey and basketball). I'm not sure where they host volleyball.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:55:14 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »
Aren't the Bucks looking to build 16,000 seats? I don't think a 4,000 seat difference would be worth it.

Unfortunately, MU could build in a better location than Park East.

feedback