[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Off the ball offense  (Read 1822 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Off the ball offense
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
One thing I noticed in the game was the amount of screens we set off the ball. Duane and Carlino were constantly using screens and re-screens to get open. I think when we can get some guys here who can hit open shots, we will have a pretty potent offense. We just don't have the shooters from deep or mid-range to hit these open looks.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Off the ball offense
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
One thing I noticed in the game was the amount of screens we set off the ball. Duane and Carlino were constantly using screens and re-screens to get open. I think when we can get some guys here who can hit open shots, we will have a pretty potent offense. We just don't have the shooters from deep or mid-range to hit these open looks.
Quite a change from Buzz's system last year as he never screened for Jake Thomas other than a scant few out-of-bounds plays.  Derrick Wilson is piling up a lot of easy assists this year as Matt (and, now, Duane) comes off the screens.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »

How very Duke of Wojo. We lose Carlino next season, but Duane and Cohen's shooting will only get better. Maybe JjJ will get rid of that hitch in his shot and have a vander like sophomore offseason. Haanif, Nick, and Henry can all shoot the ball from deep. I don't think we'll be better from three without Carlino, but we will have more shooters next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
Quite a change from Buzz's system last year as he never screened for Jake Thomas other than a scant few out-of-bounds plays.  Derrick Wilson is piling up a lot of easy assists this year as Matt (and, now, Duane) comes off the screens.
Assists always depend upon the shooter. Fischer is costing Derrick assists

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:19:28 PM »
I also like a lot of Sandy's off the ball movement. Once it all comes together for him, he'll be a good one. Honestly, with how sound he is technically, I could see him going from role player to big time player sooner rather than later.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Duke has always run motion off of the ball.   Even when Buzz's teams were moving the ball well, it was based off of dribble penetration.   Not nearly as much off of the ball movement.     A couple of years ago, what I found so fascinating about Florida Gulf Coast was that they were running dribble drive with timed off- the-ball cuts.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »

That is what drove me most nuts about last year, and also about the criticism Jake took.  One has to have a lot of off the ball movement and screens.  They should be designed to get good shooters open.  Wojo does it well.  Wish Buzz would have last year.

feedback