[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Stamp on the Program  (Read 10790 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Wojo's Stamp on the Program
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 07:18:55 AM »
Deane went 66-29, including one NCAA tournament victory, in his first three years at Marquette, relying almost exclusively on O'Neill recruits Eford, Pieper, McCaskill, Crawford, Hutchins, Miller and Abraham.

In 1997-98, when he still had the outstanding Hutchins but otherwise had to rely on his own recruits, Deane went 20-11 overall, 8-8 in the conference, and didn't get a postseason bid. In 1998-99, when he had to rely exclusively on his own recruits, he was 14-15 and deservedly got fired.

He then went to Lamar, where his brilliant game coaching led to records of 15-16, 9-18, 15-14 and 13-14 in four seasons before he got canned. He then went 95-113 at Wagner before getting the heave-ho after going 5-26 in his seventh season.

Yes, it takes some incredible Xs-and-Os ability to accumulate 5 whole victories in a program's seventh season!

You like Deane's 437 wins? Well, how do you feel about his 332 losses?

Over a 32-game season, that .576 winning percentage translates to an annual record of 18-14.

Stop embarrassing yourself by hoping any Marquette coach displays the incredible acumen of Mike Deane.
Wojo inherited 11 strong players , he already ran off 3 . At least Deane had the common sense to work with what he had.

If Wojo can go 100-55 with 2 NCAA and 2 NIT I will be pleased.

Deane made the tournament with 3 different programs. A journeyman coach yes for sure . Doesn't take away from the performance .

Here is a funny article on Deane .
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/15/why-matt-brady-brought-mike-deane-to-jmu/

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:25 AM »
Wojo inherited 11 strong players , he already ran off 3 . At least Deane had the common sense to work with what he had.

Deane made the tournament with 3 different programs. A journeyman coach yes for sure . Doesn't take away from the performance .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/15/why-matt-brady-brought-mike-deane-to-jmu/

If Deane coached today I would wager more of those players would have left.....times have changed

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
How many of today's players would be able to tolerate a timeout after the first basket given up and/or getting pulled from the game when giving up a basket in what would end up being a 47-42 loss?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:25 AM »
Reading this thread has made me dumber. Can't believe I did it. Mike Deane? Really? We are discussing Mike Deane and camparing him to Wojo? Really?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »

Why don't you believe people when they tell you Wojo had no say in the Mayo situation? Do you have actual, first-hand knowledge that Wojo "ran off" Burton?

Like was mentioned in the "silver lining" thread, you keep making these assumptions, that, unless the players or Wojo told you what the interactions were like, you have little idea. You would be arguing to high-heaven if others were making the assumptions you are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
The article was just one guys opinion, which I found interesting. I have a different opinion of Cords than the author.

I sincerely hope Wojo leads us to the promised land. In the meantime if he can reach Mike Deane level it will be great. Deane won 437 college games and understands how to coach. 

It wasn't "interesting."  It was flat out, 100% wrong.  Mike Deane wasn't a bad coach a la Dukiet.  But he certainly wasn't what I would aspire any Marquette coach to become.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »

Dear God TW. Mayo ran himself off the team. Wojo did kick him off, but he wouldn't have been able to keep him even if he had wanted to (which he didn't want to). Burton tragically lost a parent. He transferred to get away from Milwaukee because of the pain. Were there other reasons in play? Possibly. But Burton never leaves the program if his mother wasn't taken from him so soon. And Dawson? Wojo didn't run him off. Wojo didn't play him because from Saturday, November 15 to Thursday, December 18 we played exclusively in close games that were decided in the last couple minutes of the game (besides getting run over by Ohio State). You don't play the literally WORST player on your roster when the game is on the line. The kid is a hard worker and was a great representative of the program. He had to transfer to the worst team in the Big South conference to find playing time.

I don't like losing any more than the next guy. But these statements you keep making are just ridiculous.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »

Nice article. I liked Mike Deane personally, thought he was a stand up guy. Good coach, too. Not a bad one on one recruiter either (he was in good shape with D Wade before TC arrived). But Mike's expectations for the program were lower than the alumni and the administration and that's not a good recipe for long term success. I expect more from Wojo than Mike delivered and think you're view is a decidedly minority one.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
Yes

For real?  I always thought it was just him being a d-bag.  I remember the coach from the Dolphins had some condition that required him to wear tinted glasses. 

And I also remember back in the day there was a player from Cincy that wore glasses when he played.  As a kid I thought that was so cool, "this dude is lighting it up (pun intended) while rockin sunglasses!! SUNGLASSES!"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
And I also remember back in the day there was a player from Cincy that wore glasses when he played.  As a kid I thought that was so cool, "this dude is lighting it up (pun intended) while rockin sunglasses!! SUNGLASSES!"

Ah yeah. Damon Flint.

Those were some battles with Huggy's teams. Fun times.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »
Dear God TW. Mayo ran himself off the team. Wojo did kick him off, but he wouldn't have been able to keep him even if he had wanted to (which he didn't want to). Burton tragically lost a parent. He transferred to get away from Milwaukee because of the pain. Were there other reasons in play? Possibly. But Burton never leaves the program if his mother wasn't taken from him so soon. And Dawson? Wojo didn't run him off. Wojo didn't play him because from Saturday, November 15 to Thursday, December 18 we played exclusively in close games that were decided in the last couple minutes of the game (besides getting run over by Ohio State). You don't play the literally WORST player on your roster when the game is on the line. The kid is a hard worker and was a great representative of the program. He had to transfer to the worst team in the Big South conference to find playing time.

I don't like losing any more than the next guy. But these statements you keep making are just ridiculous.

Thank God Buzz didn't totally screw us last year by trusting Dawson in the Overtime win at GTown on the road.  Clearly the stage and moment were WAY too big for the kid.  Meanwhile the team is losing to the likes of UNO, and eeking out home win against NJIT, and even though we have an elite guard defender in Derrick - somehow Wojo is forced to change to zone defense, as our guards (primarily Derrick and Carlino) can't shut off blow by penetration.  LOL.  But he can't dare risk playing a kid like Dawson.  Okay Wojo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Thank God Buzz didn't totally screw us last year by trusting Dawson in the Overtime win at GTown on the road.  Clearly the stage and moment were WAY too big for the kid.  Meanwhile the team is losing to the likes of UNO, and eeking out home win against NJIT, and even though we have an elite guard defender in Derrick - somehow Wojo is forced to change to zone defense, as our guards (primarily Derrick and Carlino) can't shut off blow by penetration.  LOL.  But he can't dare risk playing a kid like Dawson.  Okay Wojo.

If you think Derrick is the reason we switched to a zone defense, you truly have no clue about the game of basketball, and apparently your years of high school basketball were wasted on you because you managed to come away from the experience without learning a damn thing about the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
Why don't you believe people when they tell you Wojo had no say in the Mayo situation? Do you have actual, first-hand knowledge that Wojo "ran off" Burton?

Like was mentioned in the "silver lining" thread, you keep making these assumptions, that, unless the players or Wojo told you what the interactions were like, you have little idea. You would be arguing to high-heaven if others were making the assumptions you are.
Whatever happened to Mayo was Mayo's problem. Don't believe that Wojo had no say in Mayo's outcome. He is the HC. He was probably given opportunity to say whether he wanted him or not. Obviously he chose not to. Burton, I do not believe was "run off", although probably saw his PT limited because of Wojo's style of play, and players there and coming in. Now Dawson was run off. Just like Buzz ran people off.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »
I got an idea.  Why don't we just move to the A10?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

Does this mean you admit Dawson was the worst player on the roster last season?  ;D

As you are a fan of saying, context matters. Dawson was one of two PGs on the roster last season, playing him was a necessary evil. This season, we have Derrick, Carlino, and Duane to play the point. He had a good game against Georgetown no doubt. But he never had a single performance even close to it ever again. I'll use another one of your favorite sayings, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. One game doesn't make a projection for a career. I guess Notre Dame should have started Rudy all four years because of those last few minutes his senior year?

Everyone not named Derrick Wilson or Juan Anderson was struggling with the man to man defense, Taylor and Carlino being the worst offenders.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:07:58 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
even though we have an elite guard defender in Derrick - somehow Wojo is forced to change to zone defense, as our guards (primarily Derrick and Carlino) can't shut off blow by penetration.  LOL.  But he can't dare risk playing a kid like Dawson.  Okay Wojo.
EVERY. FRIGGIN.THREAD

Seriously Mods?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback