[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Stamp on the Program  (Read 10769 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Wojo's Stamp on the Program
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
I'm willin' to give Wojo time to put his own mark on our program. Doesn't really matter what the W-L record is in the short term. It is important, however, that he runs the entire basketball operation as he's been trained, as an assistant, to do. I'm certain he's formulated his plan, both on and off the court, as to how he wants to proceed.
Long term, we'll be just fine. Give him a few years to bring in his own players and carve out his identity. It's all good.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wojo's Stamp on the Program
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
I feel the same. There's a huge difference between last year and this, despite the similar records. You can see growth in the players and the coaches. The zone adjustment was major, and the players have adapted well. Sandy and Duane both look better as the season goes on and neither is afraid to take the big shot. Last year I kept thinking why won't they come together, this year I'm thinking how great they'll be when they do.

We will be dancing in 2016.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:39:23 PM »
Crean was 15-14 his first two years. O'Neal was 16-14(?), 11-17(?) and 16-13. McGuire was 8-18(?) and 14-12. The trouble most of you have is you think MU should be an NCAA team even though they were picked by everyone to finish 7th to 9th in Big East. In most cases those picks were made assuming Mayo would be on the team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
Preach
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
I'm willin' to give Wojo time to put his own mark on our program. Doesn't really matter what the W-L record is in the short term. It is important, however, that he runs the entire basketball operation as he's been trained, as an assistant, to do. I'm certain he's formulated his plan, both on and off the court, as to how he wants to proceed.
Long term, we'll be just fine. Give him a few years to bring in his own players and carve out his identity. It's all good.

I disagree. This man is being paid too much for mediocrity. And lest you forget: we are Marquette. We deserve nothing less than victory. How dare you, sir

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
He has a ways to go to match his predecessor.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Crean was 15-14 his first two years. O'Neal was 16-14(?), 11-17(?) and 16-13. McGuire was 8-18(?) and 14-12. The trouble most of you have is you think MU should be an NCAA team even though they were picked by everyone to finish 7th to 9th in Big East. In most cases those picks were made assuming Mayo would be on the team.
Mike Deane is the standard I use for Wojo. Deane was 21-12 and 23-8 his first two years. With our recruiting class Wojo should be able to catch up .

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
Mike Deane is the standard I use for Wojo. Deane was 21-12 and 23-8 his first two years. With our recruiting class Wojo should be able to catch up .

Other than Wojo's first recruiting class (which, we all know not all recruits live up to expectations), what's your thinking behind using Mike Deane as the benchmark?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Mike Deane is pretty much the opposite of Wojo.  Deane came to MU after 8 years as a mid-major head coach.  He was a decent bench coach, but not a great recruiter.

Wojo has proven himself, for one year at least, to be a good recruiter, but has never been a head coach before but served for many years as an assistant on one of the top programs in the country.

I have no idea why anyone is using Deane as a standard for Wojo.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
Other than Wojo's first recruiting class (which, we all know not all recruits live up to expectations), what's your thinking behind using Mike Deane as the benchmark?
I think Deane proved across several programs that he was a good bench coach and achieved solid results here at Marquette (100-55). If Wojo can perform as well as Deane I will be very pleased. If he performs to the level of Buzz and Crean it will be icing on the cake. He has shown he can recruit , I am less sanguine about his coaching ability and his ability to work with players who have a different personality than him.  I believe he has more than enough talent to win this year. Hopefully we can become the spoiler in the Big East conference tournament. Saturday was encouraging .

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:16 PM »
I think Deane proved across several programs that he was a good bench coach and achieved solid results here at Marquette (100-55). If Wojo can perform as well as Deane I will be very pleased. If he performs to the level of Buzz and Crean it will be icing on the cake. He has shown he can recruit , I am less sanguine about his coaching ability and his ability to work with players who have a different personality than him.  I believe he has more than enough talent to win this year. Hopefully we can become the spoiler in the Big East conference tournament. Saturday was encouraging .

Different personality? WTF?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
I have no idea why anyone is using Deane as a standard for Wojo.

+1.

For starters, Wojo doesn't wear those damn sunglasses.

... which reminds me, has anyone seen that user recently?
Relax. Respect the Process.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
Deane won early at MU because he inherited good players from O`Neill.After Kevin`s players were gone they sucked,because Deane could not recruit.He brought in guys like Bart Miller ,John Polonowski and Greg Clausen.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Deane won early at MU because he inherited good players from O`Neill.After Kevin`s players were gone they sucked,because Deane could not recruit.He brought in guys like Bart Miller ,John Polonowski and Greg Clausen.
He also brought in guys like Brian Wardle who was a pretty good player.

Here is an interesting article when Deane was fired.
http://journaltimes.com/sports/cords-deserves-blame-for-mu-s-fall-not-deane/article_978a7cbe-8dcd-5251-9292-3c18fcd27cb0.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
Different personality? WTF?

TW believes that JjJ is being mistreated/mishandled by Wojo. He thinks because Wojo is more serious and JjJ is a "goof ball" that Wojo is unjustly benching him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

connie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »

I have higher aspirations.  You should as well.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
+1.

For starters, Wojo doesn't wear those damn sunglasses.

... which reminds me, has anyone seen that user recently?

Deane has a medical condition

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:27 PM »

http://journaltimes.com/sports/cords-deserves-blame-for-mu-s-fall-not-deane/article_978a7cbe-8dcd-5251-9292-3c18fcd27cb0.html

Interesting in what way?  In how it ripped the guy who hired the guy who took us to the Final Four?  And then hired the guy who took us to two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight?  In how it (very wrongly) predicted a return to the Dukiet era? 

After year two, Deane's record got progressively worse each season until he was fired.  And that's what you hope for for MU hoops?  I hope the opposite - that we get better each year.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:55:11 PM by GooooMarquette »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »

My goodness.  Are you seriously suggesting that this article was in any way accurate?  Just a couple years later, everyone knows that this guy's "hot take" was horribly, horribly wrong.

I aspire for Wojo to be more than Mike Deane.  Way more.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 09:53:48 PM »

My goodness.  Are you seriously suggesting that this article was in any way accurate?  Just a couple years later, everyone knows that this guy's "hot take" was horribly, horribly wrong.

I aspire for Wojo to be more than Mike Deane.  Way more.
The article was just one guys opinion, which I found interesting. I have a different opinion of Cords than the author.

I sincerely hope Wojo leads us to the promised land. In the meantime if he can reach Mike Deane level it will be great. Deane won 437 college games and understands how to coach. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
Interesting in what way?  In how it ripped the guy who hired the guy who took us to the Final Four?  And then hired the guy who took us to two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight?  In how it (very wrongly) predicted a return to the Dukiet era? 

After year two, Deane's record got progressively worse each season until he was fired.  And that's what you hope for for MU hoops?  I hope the opposite - that we get better each year.

Believe Cottingham hired Buzz.  Cords not involved.  Buzz obviously didn't connect well with Cords for whatever that's worth.  Hopefully Cords and Lovell got it right on Wojo.  My guess is he'll end up somewhere between the success of Buzz and Crean - which is ultimately acceptable/solid at a school like MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
Deane has a medical condition

Same one as Bono?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:50 AM »
I sincerely hope Wojo leads us to the promised land. In the meantime if he can reach Mike Deane level it will be great. Deane won 437 college games and understands how to coach. 

Deane went 66-29, including one NCAA tournament victory, in his first three years at Marquette, relying almost exclusively on O'Neill recruits Eford, Pieper, McCaskill, Crawford, Hutchins, Miller and Abraham.

In 1997-98, when he still had the outstanding Hutchins but otherwise had to rely on his own recruits, Deane went 20-11 overall, 8-8 in the conference, and didn't get a postseason bid. In 1998-99, when he had to rely exclusively on his own recruits, he was 14-15 and deservedly got fired.

He then went to Lamar, where his brilliant game coaching led to records of 15-16, 9-18, 15-14 and 13-14 in four seasons before he got canned. He then went 95-113 at Wagner before getting the heave-ho after going 5-26 in his seventh season.

Yes, it takes some incredible Xs-and-Os ability to accumulate 5 whole victories in a program's seventh season!

You like Deane's 437 wins? Well, how do you feel about his 332 losses?

Over a 32-game season, that .576 winning percentage translates to an annual record of 18-14.

Stop embarrassing yourself by hoping any Marquette coach displays the incredible acumen of Mike Deane.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 03:03:27 AM »

Death on call

Shark

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 03:25:00 AM »
Believe Cottingham hired Buzz.  Cords not involved.  Buzz obviously didn't connect well with Cords for whatever that's worth.  Hopefully Cords and Lovell got it right on Wojo.  My guess is he'll end up somewhere between the success of Buzz and Crean - which is ultimately acceptable/solid at a school like MU.

The guy has 8 scholarship players on a team that saw quite possibly the most drastic roster turnover in recent school history. Wojo hasn't even had a non-conference season with a big man. Most teams have two. We had 0. He hasn't even brought in any recruits. And we're all sitting here predicting how successful he's going to be 5+ years down the line? Jeez. Slow times on scoop it seems.

feedback