[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cable companies  (Read 4957 times)

jesmu84

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Cable companies
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/no-need-for-speed-cable-industry-opposes-25mbps-broadband-definition/

Opposing growth? Shocked

They're not opposing growth, they're opposing the idiocy of the policy.  Today the FCC declared anyone not getting 25Megs download speed is no longer considered broadband.  That is hilarious. 

What the pipe carriers are upset about it having to build 8 lane highways to everyone, even if 2 people live on that highway.  The costs are going to be enormous and inefficiencies through the roof.  I was at a conference yesterday with many of the global backbone folks and they are just amazed at the stupidity....many of these guys were engineers.  Just talking about the massive waste.  On the business side, the gov't wants companies to do all of this and on the other hand bitching a fit when the companies try to recoup their costs.  Go figure.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:59:30 AM »
Chicos. You're hilarious. We can do nearly 90mbps over the air (LTE),  better than that over power, phone lines, and cable (i.e. copper).  

Try to keep up with technology.  (I thought Cali was supposed to be at the forefront on tech???)

My former home town (Longmont, CO) is going to have gigabit (1000mps) access to everyone (80k people) in a couple years...as a government organization, for less than $100/month.

Probably, partially because of that, Centurylink around Denver is now building their own fiber network.

This isn't hard.

And in case you missed this part...

But changing the definition doesn't create any immediate impact other than lowering the percentage of Americans who have "broadband" and shaming Internet providers that don't offer broadband speeds.

So, uh...it's really just a marketing problem.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:15:49 AM by rocky_warrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:33 AM »
It's weird companies care at all, actually. Typically, they just ignore whatever is in place and market whatever they want with little/no consequence.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374564,00.asp

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Rabbit farts 25 Mbps.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »
Chicos. You're hilarious. We can do nearly 90mbps over the air (LTE),  better than that over power, phone lines, and cable (i.e. copper).  

Try to keep up with technology.  (I thought Cali was supposed to be at the forefront on tech???)

My former home town (Longmont, CO) is going to have gigabit (1000mps) access to everyone (80k people) in a couple years...as a government organization, for less than $100/month.

Probably, partially because of that, Centurylink around Denver is now building their own fiber network.

This isn't hard.

And in case you missed this part...

So, uh...it's really just a marketing problem.

Oh, I'm well versed in it.  Working on a number of AT&T LTE initiatives right now for video, including automotive next stage products.  So thanks, but I've kept up just fine....and paid now to do so.

You are citing extremes in your examples, which is my entire point and those that are pushing back.   The average LTE speeds in this country are nowhere close to 90.  They are nowhere close to 50.  Avg speeds right now around 18mbps.  This is a big country, with a huge footprint, most of it rural.  That's the beef.  It's one thing to say they are going to have to improve networks where urban centers are....where they can actually make back their money.  Quite a different story when you are having to build out the rest of the country where there is no ROI.  That was my point and their point.  To get the average speed up to 25mbps per second in a country this size, means wasting money and resources to serve too small a population.  In some urban centers, it can get to 78, 85, even 90 in ideal networks, but that is not the reality for the country.

I'm happy to provide you with many industry leading technical and business related articles on the subject if you wish.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:09:59 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
The fiber lines is a red herring.  If you at lucky enough to live in a DMA that has fiber and furthermore in that neighborhood.  I always chuckle at things like so and so is getting Google fiber in your city.  Then you look at where it is actually deployed...notice it isn't in the poorer parts of town.

It ends up looking like a gerrymandered congressional district footprint.

That's the reason why Verizon has all but stopped FiOs buildout out...the cost is insane and the payback forever. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
The fiber lines is a red herring.  If you at lucky enough to live in a DMA that has fiber and furthermore in that neighborhood.  I always chuckle at things like so and so is getting Google fiber in your city.  Then you look at where it is actually deployed...notice it isn't in the poorer parts of town.

It ends up looking like a gerrymandered congressional district footprint.

That's the reason why Verizon has all but stopped FiOs buildout out...the cost is insane and the payback forever. 

I don't blame Verizon for their decision. But they should probably give the money back then....

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131012/02124724852/decades-failed-promises-verizon-it-promises-fiber-to-get-tax-breaks-then-never-delivers.shtml

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
Oh, I'm well versed in it.  Working on a number of AT&T LTE initiatives right now for video, including automotive next stage products.  So thanks, but I've kept up just fine....and paid now to do so.

You are citing extremes in your examples, which is my entire point and those that are pushing back.   The average LTE speeds in this country are nowhere close to 90.  They are nowhere close to 50.  Avg speeds right now around 18mbps.  This is a big country, with a huge footprint, most of it rural.  That's the beef.  It's one thing to say they are going to have to improve networks where urban centers are....where they can actually make back their money.  Quite a different story when you are having to build out the rest of the country where there is no ROI.  That was my point and their point.  To get the average speed up to 25mbps per second in a country this size, means wasting money and resources to serve too small a population.  In some urban centers, it can get to 78, 85, even 90 in ideal networks, but that is not the reality for the country.

I'm happy to provide you with many industry leading technical and business related articles on the subject if you wish.

But again, you miss the point that they just can't advertise it as a broadband connection. They can sell connections, and price them as they choose.

So I'm not quite sure what you're angry about.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »
I don't blame Verizon for their decision. But they should probably give the money back then....

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131012/02124724852/decades-failed-promises-verizon-it-promises-fiber-to-get-tax-breaks-then-never-delivers.shtml

These companies hate all the gov't inference in their businesses with all the regulations and......
Wait, I mean these companies love the gov't interference and the billions in cash handed to them with no strings attached.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:48:25 PM by brandx »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 07:04:48 PM »
These companies hate all the gov't inference in there businesses with all the regulations and......
Wait, I mean these companies love the gov't and the billions in cash handed to them with no strings attached.

Corporate welfare? Come on ... that doesn't exist. If it did, it might hinder the "welfare queen" narrative that Reagan started and his sheeple parrot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
Corporate welfare? Come on ... that doesn't exist. If it did, it might hinder the "welfare queen" narrative that Reagan started and his sheeple parrot.

Well, that wasn't at all political. Thanks.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
My definition of "Welfare Queen" is the lady ahead of me in line wearing a fur coat who paid with food stamps and drove off in a RR.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
Well, that wasn't at all political. Thanks.

No kidding.  82, you're better than that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
But again, you miss the point that they just can't advertise it as a broadband connection. They can sell connections, and price them as they choose.

So I'm not quite sure what you're angry about.

Because it leads to irrational people making really dumb comments like "why can't we be connected like South Korea" and irrational people all too often get elected by irrational people  which then becomes law and policy as they have no idea what they are doing.

It becomes a game of irrational dominoes.

The other day at a conference the CEO of SeaChange spoke and he had a funny line.  He was talking about the technical literacy of people now despite all the technology.  He had a slide and some of the words were crossed out intentionally so he could put in a PC label ...."post literate" generation....which got a lot of people in the room laughing.  The common person in this country has no clue on this stuff, but they can't wait to demand it all, but they also don't want to pay for it.  It's amazing what we have done as a society where so many people think stuff should be free, or only certain people \ corporations should  pay for it.

Destructive
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:01:06 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

brandx

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Of course, I have never heard even one person say they should get cable TV for free, but maybe if you keep saying that, it will suddenly be "true".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
My definition of "Welfare Queen" is the lady ahead of me in line wearing a fur coat who paid with food stamps and drove off in a RR.

Actually, some of the British Royal Family are essentially on the dole...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »

Linda Taylor.....Cadillac

brandx

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
Rather than increasing speeds or lowering prices, incumbent broadband providers have instead turned towards trying to outlaw municipal broadband networks through increased political contributions. In some cases, lobbyists for the broadband providers actually have written the language found in proposed anti-municipal broadband laws.

But in Maine, we have a state with maybe the worst broadband situation in the country. According to some rankings, Maine is dead last or near dead last in terms of broadband speeds. Several cities in Maine responded to their lack of current broadband competition by formulating plans to start their own municipal broadband network.

How did Time Warner Cable respond to this plan? As the Portland Press Herald notes, Time Warner Cable hosted Maine lawmakers at a resort by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. At this meeting, Time Warner Cable “tried to convince legislators that government owned-broadband is a bad idea.”

Just as the legislative session was starting in January, Time Warner invited Maine lawmakers to an overnight “Winter Policy Conference” at a resort in Cape Elizabeth, where the company tried to convince legislators that government owned-broadband is a bad idea. The guests were served steak dinners and some were put up for the night in rooms that retail for $205 to $355 per night. - Portland Press Herald

Essentially, they are trying to influence lawmakers behind closed doors. What makes this even more unbelievable is that some of the lawmakers tried to pass off this trip as an “educational forum” about Maine’s broadband situation. It was educational enough for Time Warner Cable to also pay for any lawmakers “partners or spouses.”

But what exactly were they told?

Attendees were given a presentation by two New York legal scholars who asserted that, contrary to what the legislators might think, government-operated networks are neither necessary nor a good public investment. They were also given a presentation by pollster Mary Anne Fitzgerald on a Time Warner-commissioned survey. State Rep. Sarah Gideon, D- Freeport, who attended only Friday’s session, was skeptical of the survey’s section on broadband because some the questions were “leading.” - Portland Press Herald

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
Attempts to corrupt government officials are both both wrong and as old as time. 

You don't fix this by granting government increased control.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.