[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of Regulation  (Read 10420 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: End of Regulation
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
The "puppies" as Raftery says, weren't behind the line.  Tops of both shoes definitely appeared to be touching the line.  I thought it was the right call making it a two.

Huh? The right foot looks behind the line and there is no way you can say definitely. The angle was horrible, no way they would have reversed had it been called a 3.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
I remember an NCAA tourney game a few years ago that involved a 10 minute review of the exact same type of scenario.   Kentucky v MSU?    Maybe?    End of regulation shot, edge of shoe may or may not be on the line......   It was a tough call.    Regardless of the initial call, there wasn't definitive video evidence to overturn either way.    Of course, more camera angles might have shown it more clearly, but a regular season conference game doesn't have as many cameras.    Ah, well.   Exciting game.   Would have loved for that shot to have been a 3.   Not meant to be.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
I remember that one too. Patrick Sparks for Kentucky with the three from the top of the key. No wait it was a two. No, it was a three....

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
I get needing to review plays at the end of the game and believe they got this right, but the time it takes to do this is commical. It took over 5 minutes to review. If it isn't clear just get on with it.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »
How come they had a view from above on the review of the earlier three pointer, but not for the one at the end of regulation?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
How come they had a view from above on the review of the earlier three pointer, but not for the one at the end of regulation?

I think the refs did, but FS1 didn't
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »
I watched a replay of the game. After seeing the feet and the line close up, I am satisfied it was a two. It was not a case of one foot, but both were basically toeing the line. I think it would of been overturned, if it had been called a three.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »
The only thing the replays clearly showed from that shot was the Smith-Rivera fouled Carlino on the arm when he shot.  Go back and take a look.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
I think he's much better than that. He's got a very nice skill set to work with. A game like today is a good learning experience for him as far as getting pushed around like he did. I will put money he will have a big game against Seton Hall.

With his ability, he could very well be an NBA draft pick in a couple years IMO.

In a few years, absolutely.  What I was trying to say is too many people before the season thought he was going to be some dominant force this year.  He's a nice player, but he needs a few years.  One of those guys (like many bigs) that had their way in high school, formed a few bad habits that don't work in college, but he's learning.

I like the kid.  Liked him for IU, like him for MU.  He just needs time.  Would also like him to get that shoulder fixed, as there are times it looks to be really bothering him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »
In a few years, absolutely.  What I was trying to say is too many people before the season thought he was going to be some dominant force this year.  He's a nice player, but he needs a few years.  One of those guys (like many bigs) that had their way in high school, formed a few bad habits that don't work in college, but he's learning.

It certainly doesn't help that he's completely alone up there. Steve and Juan hardly do the work in the low post needed to free him up at all. It's not their fault, that's just not their game. Luke could really use a PF that can hit the mid-range jumper (like Jamil did for Davante).

Luke's game needs work. He needs to go up stronger, needs to put it on the floor less, and needs to develop more options than just that little jump-hook. But if Otule can develop offensive moves (his left-pivot developed after his first injury and was pretty effective) I'm sure Luke can do the same. Wojo has proven to be a very, very good big man coach in the past. I have a feeling with better interior options and another year of coaching Luke will be better next year.

And I know a lot of people also complain about his rebounding, which I understand, but how often in the last game did the ball come down and Luke was the only guy around the hoop, surrounded by 4 Georgetown players? Rebounding needs to be a team effort. Just like on offense, he can only do so much when he's alone up there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.