'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: G'town thoughts  (Read 28627 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: G'town thoughts
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
From the looks of it you got the calls in the first half. We got more calls in the second half.

First half: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 9.
Second half: Marquette 15 Fouls Georgetown 9
OT: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 1

I'm sorry I can't let this one pass because this is simply a dumb way of looking at "who is getting the calls".  MU plays a zone that is designed to limit fouls.  GT plays a much more aggressive defense because they have the bodies to do it.  Just counting up fouls tell you absolutely nothing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
I watched on television, and a lot of the fouls that the crowd got on the refs about, were clearly fouls when you saw them on replay.  Did they miss some?  Sure.  But I think they let a lot go which gave Georgetown an advantage given their size.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
I watched on television, and a lot of the fouls that the crowd got on the refs about, were clearly fouls when you saw them on replay.  Did they miss some?  Sure.  But I think they let a lot go which gave Georgetown an advantage given their size.

Agreed. It was the no-calls on our drives to the hoop that bothered me the most.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
Great effort. Great Big East game. Excellent Coaching. How the Hoyas are not rated is a joke, but the frosh are as talented a bunch as there is. I hope Peak is okay.  Duane and Matt were outstanding. It has been a long time since MU has had a 1-2 scoring performance like that.

Worst officiated game of the season. If playing defense with the hands is a point of emphasis, this crew did not get the memo. The lack of travel at the end of the first was Jim Burr-Tim Higgins BET comical. Corbett was very unprofessional and emotional out there all game, with his bench warnings, comments to fans court side, weird overruling of the three call before the replay on the Carlino shot. Rocky needs to apply a Ners Ban to settle Corbett down.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
Agreed. It was the no-calls on our drives to the hoop that bothered me the most.

I didn't have much issue with what was called, more what wasn't. Drives with contact (especially when GT got free throws the next trip down), uncalled offensive fouls on Smith, and uncalled travels. Lots of whistle swallowing going on.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
From the looks of it you got the calls in the first half. We got more calls in the second half.

First half: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 9.
Second half: Marquette 15 Fouls Georgetown 9
OT: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 1

First half scoring 45-39 Hoyas.  Second half: 42-36 Marquette. GTown was 13-15 at the line in the second, MU was 9-12. MU had to change their physicalness to get back in it. Gtown stayed physical in both halves and were less visible to the refs on style of play.

That said, what MU fans are objecting to is the lack of consistency of the physicality of how the game was called. Very uneven. On at least three occasions, our shooters (Cohen, Duane, Carlino) were fouled clearly on the arms with no calls. These were not 50/50 but blatant misses. Smith and Fischer's paint games were also called very inconsistently. All the MU fans are asking are for is a consistent flow from the officials, not a game where the officials are calling the game differently for each team based on their styles of play.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:06:16 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

connie

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »
Great effort. Great Big East game. Excellent Coaching. How the Hoyas are not rated is a joke, but the frosh are as talented a bunch as there is. I hope Peak is okay.  Duane and Matt were outstanding. It has been a long time since MU has had a 1-2 scoring performance like that.

Worst officiated game of the season. If playing defense with the hands is a point of emphasis, this crew did not get the memo. The lack of travel at the end of the first was Jim Burr-Tim Higgins BET comical. Corbett was very unprofessional and emotional out there all game, with his bench warnings, comments to fans court side, weird overruling of the three call before the replay on the Carlino shot. Rocky needs to apply a Ners Ban to settle Corbett down.
Corbett must have had an aunt visiting.  Very hostile appearance all game.  Started early in the game when Wojo complained and it seemed like Corbett made a run at him.  Kept glaring at the bench.  Kept coming over to huddles during to's.  Not implying anything.  The interaction just struck me as really odd.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
I'm sorry I can't let this one pass because this is simply a dumb way of looking at "who is getting the calls".  MU plays a zone that is designed to limit fouls.  GT plays a much more aggressive defense because they have the bodies to do it.  Just counting up fouls tell you absolutely nothing.

Well Georgetown was driving to the hoop more and shooting layups through traffic and posting up, while Marquette shot mostly jump shots. The way the game was played there's no way to excuse Marquette having so little fouls in the first half. Saying you're in zone so aren't fouling is an even dumber way to look at it.

We all saw what we wanted to see. Hoya fans saw our guys get hacked with out call and felt we got called for touch fouls on the other end. Carlino pushes off every single time. Marquette set numerous moving screens to free up shooters. Every time we breathed on Carlino he got the call. Carlino shoved one of our players and our guy got called for the foul. Marquette fans saw the exact opposite. No one is going to be right one this we're all blinded by our loyalty. This is the last I'll say on it because there's no way one side is going to convince the other they're right.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:42:17 AM by hoyasincebirth »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
Well Georgetown was driving to the hoop more and shooting layups through traffic and posting up, while Marquette shot mostly jump shots. The way the game was played there's no way to excuse Marquette having so little fouls in the first half. Saying you're in zone so aren't fouling is an even dumber way to look at it.

We all saw what we wanted to see. Hoya fans saw our guys get hacked with out call and felt we got called for touch fouls on the other end. Carlino pushes off every single time. Marquette set numerous moving screens to free up shooters. Every time we breathed on Carlino he got the call. Carlino shoved one of our players and our guy got called for the foul. Marquette fans saw the exact opposite. No one is going to be right one this we're all blinded by our loyalty. This is the last I'll say on it because there's no way one side is going to convince the other they're right.

Georgetown had 5 more 2 point field goal attempts than Marquette did.  Doesn't exactly fit the narrative of Georgetown going into traffic while Marquette only chucked from beyond the 3 point line.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
I'm just curious what Wojo's rationale was for taking Duane out for 4 minutes at that stretch of the game..a critical 4 minute stretch...when Duane absolutely had it rolling.  Duane only played 32 in an overtime game, in which he played all 5 of the OT.  Fatal mistake in this game in my opinion.
I agree with this.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
It does take him a little to wind up and release.  I'm not sure I agree he's any quicker right now than he was, but with his height and length, he'll be able to get away with it at the college level regardless because his release point is way up there.  And it probably will get quicker as he gains experience and repetition in practice.
I do not think his release has gotten quicker. I think he has gotten more confident in taking the shot.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

Couldn't disagree with these statements more.  In the first half Georgetown predominantly was shooting from outside or scoring off TOs.  This was because we were in a zone and the game plan seemed to be to exploit the weakness of the zone and shoot over the top.  Second, being in a zone is going to drastically decrease fouls, that is one of the purposes of using a zone.

As for the fouls.  Were there some bad calls that went both ways, absolutely.  In this game though, the glaring misses (Josh Smith had about 40 fouls) and more importantly the non-calls on the last two shots of regulation for MU, were really really bad.  They had the biggest impact on the game, so it was an imbalanced officiated game. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »

In the crew's defense (not they deserve one), the whole emphasis around enforcement of handsy defense is a joke.  Not the emphasis itself (the NCAA does need to crack down on the handsiness), but the fact that they made it an emphasis and quickly folded under the pressure of the SEC and B12 leadership who believe basketball needs to be played more like football (any sport that doesn't feature a broken bone or at least a spray of blood once a game is a major ratings fail down south).  As soon as those two conferences "de-emphasized," it spread like a virus to the other major conferences (most high-major referees don't officiate in one conference exclusively).

Win other words, we didn't get jobbed by the officials yesterday; the game itself has been jobbed by the never-ending quest for ratings.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
I never blame the refs . They are professional and attempting to be fair. Do bad calls happen ?of course they do. I just think over time they even out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
Our two best FT shooters both missed the front end of 1-and-1's, while their two poor-to-mediocre FT shooters shot 17 of 19.  Game

But if only the refs had let them make those free throws we would have won.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2015, 12:26:21 AM »
I watched the game at home and didn't log in to Scoop.  I have to say, I did not come away from watching that game thinking that the officials had a big hand in the outcome one way or the other.  They missed the blatant travel at the half, but otherwise, pretty evenly called.  The big guy is tough to officiate because people bounce off him and contact always looks worse than it is.

Our zone is a lot less effective when the opponent makes threes and has good ball movement.  Georgetown did/does both of those things.

Our two freshmen are not afraid of the moment and are going to be very, very good, especially when they get more consistent.

That was the most entertaining Marquette I can remember game since the 12-13 season.   Basketball is so much more fun to watch when there is lots of scoring.  Hate to lose, but very enjoyable to watch.  If you're going to lose tough games, this is the season to do it, as we're not going anywhere anyway and our younger players learned a tough lesson about the importance of shot selection/ball security in crunch time.

Finally, their crappy foul shooters made big foul shots and one of our better foul shooters missed some big ones in crunch time.  That was the big difference in the end game.

Agree with this.

Even after watching the game from beginning to end, and being bummed about the result, I didn't know the refs were the main reason we lost until I read it on Scoop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
It was the right call...but by the slimmest of margins. If they had called it a three on the floor, I don't think they would have overturned it. I was hoping that they would give it to us because the replay clearly showed DSR fouling Carlino. Kind of like a Cowboys-Lions type situation

I disagree about the call. I think all that viewpoint showed was that it was close enough that the tip of his shoe was between the camera and the line, not that his toe was on the line. There has to be a better vantage point to look at these things.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
College basketball is the most poorly officiated game in the country.  There's zero consistency in what they call. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
I never blame the refs . They are professional and attempting to be fair. Do bad calls happen ?of course they do. I just think over time they even out.

+1

It can happen that at times in a game it seems as most of the 50/50 calls break the way of one team, yet the same happens at times and our team is on the other side of it.  Refs call it as best as they see it.  Things even out over the course of a game
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback