[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'town thoughts  (Read 28854 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: G'town thoughts
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
I try not to blame the refs or complain about reffing because in general bad calls go both ways and they more or less even out, but this was the most one sided game I've seen called in as long as I can remember.  Really poor reffing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
I disagree. He's bigger than everyone else. He shouldn't be punished for it like he is most games. He should be allowed to use his body like every other player smaller than he is. He gets fouled every time he touches the ball but refs let most of it go because he's bigger. There were tons of bad calls that went Marquette's way too. Not saying we didn't get some lucky calls, but the refs were hardly one sided in this game. They were bad both ways at times, but not nearly as bad as some of the other games we've had this season. For the most part they let the teams play. It's big east basketball.
Don't know if you noticed, but at one point in the game he ran over Derrick so badly that he helped him up and apologized.
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
Don't know if you noticed, but at one point in the game he ran over Derrick so badly that he helped him up and apologized.

That was on a foul by Duane who was hanging on his arm.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »

I thought Smith got away with a lot, but that was a complete non-issue.   Foul a second or two before, Smith is lowering his arms while walking and Derrick ends up under him.    No intent, and both knew it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

That was on a foul by Duane who was hanging on his arm.
No it was the one they called late on Fish. By the time they called the foul late he had ran right over Derrick while they were going for the loose ball. The announcers pointed it out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
No it was the one they called late on Fish. By the time they called the foul late he had ran right over Derrick while they were going for the loose ball. The announcers pointed it out.

OK, but that was clearly a foul by Luke.  This is always the problem with big guys.  They should be allowed to move like any other player.  But when they create space with their shoulders and such, it should be a foul.  They undoubtedly missed some, but I don't think it was as one sides as many here are claiming.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
Once Fish fouled out we had a hard time on the ofensive side. Fischer down on the post is probably one of the most important aspects of this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
Once Fish fouled out we had a hard time on the ofensive side. Fischer down on the post is probably one of the most important aspects of this team.

Right, and our double teaming of Smith is was directly lead to Campbell's three, which was the beginning of the end for MU.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 07:48:05 PM »
OK, but that was clearly a foul by Luke.  This is always the problem with big guys.  They should be allowed to move like any other player.  But when they create space with their shoulders and such, it should be a foul.  They undoubtedly missed some, but I don't think it was as one sides as many here are claiming.
I know Luke fouled him like 5 secs before, but they didn't call the foul until they were scrambling for the loose ball. Should have called Luke's foul much earlier, they didn't. Should have been a no call by the time he ran over Derrick, but at that time is when they called the foul on Luke.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »
From the looks of it you got the calls in the first half. We got more calls in the second half.

First half: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 9.
Second half: Marquette 15 Fouls Georgetown 9
OT: Marquette 3 Fouls Georgetown 1

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
I agree about the missed travel calls, but not on the fouls.  Smith is the "Building," and guys jut bounce off of him.  And Carlino was acting more than getting fouled.  Dude is just too big and strong.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »
I agree about the missed travel calls, but not on the fouls.  Smith is the "Building," and guys jut bounce off of him.  And Carlino was acting more than getting fouled.  Dude is just too big and strong.
I was at the game....Smith was bouncing people..those are fouls.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »
I was within a few feet of Smith's play. I watch a great deal of college basketball. He clearly travelled and fouled on numerous occasions without a call, quite abnormal. He's great player but those bunny hops are completely illegal. One he had his third foul, the refs were simply not going to call the 4th unless he punched somebody. Don't get me wrong Marquette still could have found a way to win. Neither half was called in Marquette's favor, not even close. Georgetown dodged a bullet with some help.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
MU had 3 fouls to give at the end of the first half.  Juan should have grabbed the guy as he dribbled around him.  Travel or no travel, brain fart by the coaches and players there.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
MU had 3 fouls to give at the end of the first half.  Juan should have grabbed the guy as he dribbled around him.  Travel or no travel, brain fart by the coaches and players there.
show me a
Coaching staff that says 'hey let's give fouls at the end of the first half to run out the clock.' Asinine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »

MU has only 3 frontline players - I don't think we'd want another foul on any of them.  As it was, Luke fouled out and Juan finished with 4 fouls.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2015, 11:01:44 PM »
MU has only 3 frontline players - I don't think we'd want another foul on any of them.  As it was, Luke fouled out and Juan finished with 4 fouls.

He clearly should have called timeout, put the twins in and instructed them to powerslam Josh Smith just after they inbound the ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
During the game all I could think was Josh Smith's face is very punchable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
During the game all I could think was Josh Smith's face is very punchable.

Really?  He seemed mostly emotionless and just got down to work.  Not demonstrative with the refs.  When Derrick and him got tangled up he went over and apologized.  I can think of players a lot much punchable than him.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »
show me a
Coaching staff that says 'hey let's give fouls at the end of the first half to run out the clock.' Asinine.

It wasn't so much to run out the clock, it's the guy is running as fast as he can past half court towards the basket. I think most coaches would take a side out of bounds with 1 second left versus a guy with a head of steam from 30 feet with one second left.  It's not that asinine. I do agree though that our limited number of players hurt us in that situation in terms of fouling.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
I watched the game at home and didn't log in to Scoop.  I have to say, I did not come away from watching that game thinking that the officials had a big hand in the outcome one way or the other.  They missed the blatant travel at the half, but otherwise, pretty evenly called.  The big guy is tough to officiate because people bounce off him and contact always looks worse than it is.

Our zone is a lot less effective when the opponent makes threes and has good ball movement.  Georgetown did/does both of those things.

Our two freshmen are not afraid of the moment and are going to be very, very good, especially when they get more consistent.

That was the most entertaining Marquette I can remember game since the 12-13 season.   Basketball is so much more fun to watch when there is lots of scoring.  Hate to lose, but very enjoyable to watch.  If you're going to lose tough games, this is the season to do it, as we're not going anywhere anyway and our younger players learned a tough lesson about the importance of shot selection/ball security in crunch time.

Finally, their crappy foul shooters made big foul shots and one of our better foul shooters missed some big ones in crunch time.  That was the big difference in the end game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
I was at the game.  I thought the refs made some bad calls, but I didn't see it as overly one-sided. What I did walk away with was the sight of seeing Sandy drain a couple relatively difficult shots with the poise of a senior.  Flashes reminiscent of what Novak showed back in 2003.

The kid could be big time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:45 AM »
I was at the game.  I thought the refs made some bad calls, but I didn't see it as overly one-sided. What I did walk away with was the sight of seeing Sandy drain a couple relatively difficult shots with the poise of a senior.  Flashes reminiscent of what Novak showed back in 2003.

Sandy's release has gotten quicker in the last two weeks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »

Agree with you except his game is much more multi-dimensional than Novak right now, and will be come even more so with experience, but while he's got a nice shot, Novak's release and range are rare.  We may never see a shooter like Novak again, he had a unique talent.  But Sandy can handle it, shoot it, isn't afraid to drive and get in the lane, and when he get's in there, can make difficult shots - did so again yesterday.  And when his feet get set, he's got a real nice shot.  THen on D, his length causes problems. 

Sky's the limit with him.  He has everything to have an excellent MU career.  Wojo already trusts him in crunch time, which says an awful lot for a true freshman.

And agree even more about yesterday's officiating.  It was a difficult game to officiate, and they didn't overcall fouls, and did call them both ways.  I think FT's until the end when we were trying to foul were pretty even throughout.  That all said, they did royally blow the obvious travel at the end of the first half, which directly impacted the outcome.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
Sandy's release has gotten quicker in the last two weeks.  

It does take him a little to wind up and release.  I'm not sure I agree he's any quicker right now than he was, but with his height and length, he'll be able to get away with it at the college level regardless because his release point is way up there.  And it probably will get quicker as he gains experience and repetition in practice.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:08:48 AM by HutchwasClutch »

feedback