Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Two Jucos wanted by Wojo - a SF and a PG  (Read 23045 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: The Two Jucos wanted by Wojo - a SF and a PG
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »
The issue with Umipig (very much a shoot-first 6'0" guard) and Harrel both is that they redshirted due to one-year in residence requirements after transferring D-I to D-I. That said, they are not eligible for the graduate transfer exception. They *could* potentially receive a waiver, but it's not a slam dunk.

Thanks, I was wondering about that, but wasn't sure.  There really aren't a lot of people that could be eligible as a graduate transfer then that fit areas in terms of our needs.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
I agree and think that the only people who think about balancing classes are fans of message boards and particularly scoop.  The coach's know better.  Now, there is always an exception in extreme cases, but that is a rarity.  Otherwise, it is about getting  the best players in and getting ready for next season.

Yes, balancing should not be be all/end all by any stretch, but we're the type of program, as most are, that are going win with strong upperclassmen.  We're not Kentucky and Duke and going to pull in all of these top 30 kids who are going to have immediate impact.  

As things stand today, look at our upperclassmen next season -
Taylor Jr - pretty mediocre player.
JJJ - sucks
Wally - we'll see - athletic, but never got off the bench at Minnesota.
Fischer - hopefully will improve a lot between now and next season, no reason to think that won't happen - has shown himself very well already.

So 1, maybe 2, strong players from above.  Tons of potential in our frosh and soph classes for sure with Henry leading the way,  but to compete again for the upper level of the Big East and an NCAA bid starting next year, we've got to bring in transfers - either Carlino type grad transfers and/or JUCO's.  These two sound like they would be excellent fits to help us immediately in 2015-16.  

It's going to be another rough season next year if we're a team of 6 or 7 freshman, a player of Ellenson's caliber included in that mix or not.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:23:01 PM by HutchwasClutch »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
We really need a talent influx.  I know lots like to refer to the number of top 100 players (recruiting rankings) that we had, but right now reality is that according to draft express, we have 1 top 100 freshman (Du. Wilson) and 1 top 100 sophomore (JJJ), whom will most likely not be considered a top 100 Junior next year.

So we really only have two top 100 players for their class.  Bringing in talent, whether freshman (we got some good ones) or JC players or transfers is very important.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:20 PM »
Inside they will be OK, but who is the point or 2 guard. Assuming Duane will be one of them! Then it is freshman, NN who knows, Hanif not sure either, than can Sandy or JJJ be a good wing. Really need at least one player that can play, like Outlaw.  Have they offered?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Yes, balancing should not be be all/end all by any stretch, but we're the type of program, as most are, that are going win with strong upperclassmen.  We're not Kentucky and Duke and going to pull in all of these top 30 kids who are going to have immediate impact.  

As things stand today, look at our upperclassmen next season -
Taylor Jr - pretty mediocre player.
JJJ - sucks
Wally - we'll see - athletic, but never got off the bench at Minnesota.
Fischer - hopefully will improve a lot between now and next season, no reason to think that won't happen - has shown himself very well already.

So 1, maybe 2, strong players from above.  Tons of potential in our frosh and soph classes for sure with Henry leading the way,  but to compete again for the upper level of the Big East and an NCAA bid starting next year, we've got to bring in transfers - either Carlino type grad transfers and/or JUCO's.  These two sound like they would be excellent fits to help us immediately in 2015-16.  

It's going to be another rough season next year if we're a team of 6 or 7 freshman, a player of Ellenson's caliber included in that mix or not.  
You really have a bug up your a$$ about JjJ don't you?  I think it rivals Ners disdain for Derrick's game. Or do you know JjJ personally and he pi$$ed in your Cheerios or stole your girl? 

In any event, I don't see JjJ's game as bad as you.  Is there anyone else who thinks JjJ is as bad as you do?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
You really have a bug up your a$$ about JjJ don't you?  I think it rivals Ners disdain for Derrick's game. Or do you know JjJ personally and he pi$$ed in your Cheerios or stole your girl? 

In any event, I don't see JjJ's game as bad as you.  Is there anyone else who thinks JjJ is as bad as you do?

I don't think anyone else thinks he is bad.  I think some get overly upset, because they had too high of expectations initially.  He came in with a lofty rating, and has underperformed relative to it.

This offseason he needs to get into the weight room, take as many (or more shots) as Derrick did and keep focus/energy.  I still have high hopes for him and I think everyone else does also.

He has the potential to be very good, but is still a bit rough around the edges.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
They should rerank the classes throughout players college careers. I mean, Juan, Steve and JJJ would have all dropped Miles out of their classe's top 100s. Luke would have been on the edge. Of guys with any college experience only Deonte would have still maintained definite top 100 status. And he was quickly gone. So effectively we had 2 top 100 guys (Duane and Sandy) and one on the borderline (Luke) on this team and they had 10 games total of college experience between them. All things considered I'm not disappointed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
They should rerank the classes throughout players college careers. I mean, Juan, Steve and JJJ would have all dropped Miles out of their classe's top 100s. Luke would have been on the edge. Of guys with any college experience only Deonte would have still maintained definite top 100 status. And he was quickly gone. So effectively we had 2 top 100 guys (Duane and Sandy) and one on the borderline (Luke) on this team and they had 10 games total of college experience between them. All things considered I'm not disappointed.

? Luke is much better, and in the same class, than Deonte. Deonte was averaging 6.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 0.5 apg. Luke is averaging 10.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 1.2 apg. As much as the offensive numbers favor Luke, Luke's defense is infinitely better than Deonte as well. If Deonte "would have still maintained top 100 status" then I am completely unsure of how Luke would be "borderline." It's not even close.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
I don't think they'll suck next year. Losing Carlino, but the team this year is 1 player away from winning some of these games. Put Ellenson in place of Juan and they might be 5-2 in Big East.

I also don't think JJJ sucks, he's had big games but is lacking confidence. Once he gets it back and works on his jumper & strength he'll be a good player. Duane, Fischer, Cohen & Ellenson is a solid 4, the rest can be role players.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
Really need at least one player that can play, like Outlaw.  Have they offered?

As of yet I don't believe so. They did visit a practice last week.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »
? Luke is much better, and in the same class, than Deonte. Deonte was averaging 6.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 0.5 apg. Luke is averaging 10.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 1.2 apg. As much as the offensive numbers favor Luke, Luke's defense is infinitely better than Deonte as well. If Deonte "would have still maintained top 100 status" then I am completely unsure of how Luke would be "borderline." It's not even close.

I was talking going into the season. Deonte was coming off of a season where he made the Big East all freshman team. Last season Luke played 10 minutes a game against the cupcakes and sat out the 2nd semester.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
I was talking going into the season. Deonte was coming off of a season where he made the Big East all freshman team. Last season Luke played 10 minutes a game against the cupcakes and sat out the 2nd semester.

Ahh gotcha.  Makes sense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »

PT has your back....coming soon
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 07:23:57 PM »
Brad Winton @JucoRecruiting  ·  56 minutes ago
South Florida has offered 2015 guards Ty Outlaw and Shawn Smith from Lee College.

Will Wojo offer...?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
I think you have to throw Luke's numbers from the first two games. I suspect when the Big East season is done that Luke's Big East numbers will be pretty comparable to Deonte's last season's Big East numbers. Luke is the better defender, but they need to stop passing the ball to him. The last game it was more effective for Luke to pass the ball to Derrick underneath the basket than it was for Derrick to pass the ball to Luke underneath the basket and it had nothing to do with the passing.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »
And lets not forget Penn State...which now gets to pretend nothing ever happened. You're right. The NCAA is a pathetic, worthless joke.

NCAA should never have gotten involved in Penn State to the extent they did.  It was a criminal matter, not a sports matter.  The crimes were heinous and you can't do enough bad things to Sandusky as far as I'm concerned, and I would have no problem if Penn State fired everyone associated with the football team.

If Penn State fought the sanctions and fines in court, I don;t see how the NCAA could win.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
NCAA should never have gotten involved in Penn State to the extent they did.  It was a criminal matter, not a sports matter.  The crimes were heinous and you can't do enough bad things to Sandusky as far as I'm concerned, and I would have no problem if Penn State fired everyone associated with the football team.

If Penn State fought the sanctions and fines in court, I don;t see how the NCAA could win.

That's like saying a player shouldn't be fined or suspended for a DWI or for domestic violence because it doesn't involve playing the game of football or basketball.  Those are criminal matters, not sports matters.  But they hurt the brand and the image of the organizations that they work/play for, and thus they should be penalized.  Just like PSU should be penalized for the disgusting way in which their program was run.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
I don't think they'll suck next year. Losing Carlino, but the team this year is 1 player away from winning some of these games. Put Ellenson in place of Juan and they might be 5-2 in Big East.

I also don't think JJJ sucks, he's had big games but is lacking confidence. Once he gets it back and works on his jumper & strength he'll be a good player. Duane, Fischer, Cohen & Ellenson is a solid 4, the rest can be role players.

JJJ has had how many "big games? Please, he is mediocre at best. He has shown virtually nothing and that explains exactly why he has taken a seat on the bench, just like he did last season. Next year is not going to be pretty unless some experience arrives. I don't want to hear about how great all the Freshmen coming in are. They are Freshmen and we have plenty of experience at MU as to how that works out. HE hopefully will be the big exception for us.

So, STJ, Duane, Sandy, Luke and maybe JJJ will be the only experienced players coming back. Add in HE and this still is an NIT team without more help.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Not sure Ive ever used the ignore function as much as I have this season seeing the lack of rational posts from a few posters and bad mouthing the program/wojo/the players and also the future of mubb. It's simply embarrassing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 09:10:15 AM »
Hope he gets them. Players with these skill sets are what is needed. Throw in a big bodied rebounder and we'd be in real good shape.

Ty Outlaw. 6-6 210 SF
Strong athlete with nice range

Committed to Virginia Tech. Do we know anyone who works there? I forget.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
Balance Schmalance.  These are one year schollies.  Use 'em and then Wojo-"out"-ski.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »
Committed to Virginia Tech. Do we know anyone who works there? I forget.

If I were a JUCO, I certainly would listen to what Buzz is selling.  His track record in THAT department is strong.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
If I were a JUCO, I certainly would listen to what Buzz is selling.  His track record in THAT department is strong.
Yes, Buzz had a great track record at selling......wait for it.....phony Bull Shice!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
Yes, Buzz had a great track record at selling......wait for it.....phony Bull Shice!

I guess Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder are kicking themselves now for listening to Buzz.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
I guess Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder are kicking themselves now for listening to Buzz.
Yeah, and McKay, Burton, Dawson, Du. Wilson, JJJ, Taylor, etc., all who bought his BS. Save the gas Little Wade--because all Buzz is  a Huckster--but keep defending the phony cowboy who peddles a huge BS line.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback