'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Two Jucos wanted by Wojo - a SF and a PG  (Read 23114 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
The Two Jucos wanted by Wojo - a SF and a PG
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:38:50 AM »
Hope he gets them. Players with these skill sets are what is needed. Throw in a big bodied rebounder and we'd be in real good shape.

Ty Outlaw. 6-6 210 SF
Strong athlete with nice range

Shawn Smith 6-4 PG.
High emotion, high energy kid.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/469744?referrer_id=1430256

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
Re: The Two Jucos wanted by Wojo - a SF and a PG
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:11:44 AM »
Do you really think he will sign two jucos?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
Why not? So long as both are on track for graduation.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
They both didnt go the typical juco route out of HS.  They played a year at D1 and transferred to Lee for a year instead of sitting out like a regular transfer.  That's what Mike Kinsella did too.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:22 AM »
Ty Outlaw 6-6 210 SF
Strong athlete with nice range
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/469744?referrer_id=1430256

He's a juco and his last name is Outlaw!  No reason for concern here!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »
He's a juco and his last name is Outlaw!  No reason for concern here!

Last time we had both a Bo and Lee on the roster we did something special...

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »
I don't know if he will sign two Jucos but it seems clear he is looking at them.  So this idea that we will sign NO Jucos does not seem to be true.  I for one would be very happy with these two guys.  It would give us more balance next year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I don't know if he will sign two Jucos but it seems clear he is looking at them.  So this idea that we will sign NO Jucos does not seem to be true.  I for one would be very happy with these two guys.  It would give us more balance next year.

I agree ... in the longer run it is better to balance off the classes. 

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
If you watch some highlights of Outlaw he has a HM skill set as a small forward and seems to be able to knock down the 3 at high level in JUCO.  I like him the best of the ones I looked at.  I don't think we go over 12 this year in Ships.  That would be 6b new guys.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
I'm not sure how strong their interest is in Smith yet. Though based on the staff's trips I do think 1-2 JUCOs are likely. Outlaw looks like a great fit, but Smith is more a SG. There are other legit PG targets that seem like better fits.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
There are other legit PG targets that seem like better fits.

Who? The true PGs among the JUCO ranks is quickly drying up. I don't really see any impact freshman left at the PG position either. Closest thing is Marcus LoVett but I think we've moved on from him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
My choice would probably be Dequon Miller. Agree that I haven't heard us mentioned with LoVett in awhile.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 07:34:56 PM »
It is impossible to count on a Carlino/Lockett-like transfer.   MU is going to be very young next year and completely unsettled at the point.    An accomplished JUCO PG and Wing are good hedges against inexperience, transfers, or delayed entries.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
I hope these JC kids realize that

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
It is impossible to count on a Carlino/Lockett-like transfer.   MU is going to be very young next year and completely unsettled at the point.    An accomplished JUCO PG and Wing are good hedges against inexperience, transfers, or delayed entries.   

I would love to see that kind of transfer. Not sure what is out there as far as RS Senior Guards (that may then have another year of eligibility), but a guard that can shoot from 3 would be great. 

Isiah Umipig from Seattle.
KT Harrell from Auburn.

No insight whatsoever, but the two above would have red-shirted a year (so may be able to graduate) and still have a year of eligibility.  Someone like this would be a godsend next year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
Wow better tell the coaches, how long did it take you to find those names?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
If it all goes belly up at SMU, I would fall all over myself to see Nic Moore here.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »
If it all goes belly up at SMU, I would fall all over myself to see Nic Moore here.

If? This is Larry Brown we're talking about.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:19 AM »
If? This is Larry Brown we're talking about.

Good point  ;D

Should have said if it goes belly up this year. Sounds like the Ponies may have trouble right around the corner, and Moore is a stud with 4 years behind him. Should be eligible to transfer either way, but a tourney ban may hasten the process.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:16:37 PM by brewcity77 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
I would love to see that kind of transfer. Not sure what is out there as far as RS Senior Guards (that may then have another year of eligibility), but a guard that can shoot from 3 would be great. 

Isiah Umipig from Seattle.
KT Harrell from Auburn.

No insight whatsoever, but the two above would have red-shirted a year (so may be able to graduate) and still have a year of eligibility.  Someone like this would be a godsend next year.

The issue with Umipig (very much a shoot-first 6'0" guard) and Harrel both is that they redshirted due to one-year in residence requirements after transferring D-I to D-I. That said, they are not eligible for the graduate transfer exception. They *could* potentially receive a waiver, but it's not a slam dunk.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
I agree ... in the longer run it is better to balance off the classes.  

After years of watching early departures for pros, transfers, players not pan out (either due to athletics or academics), players who are able to contribute as underclassmen, players who have limited contribution due to injuries, medical redshirts, etc. etc. etc., you would think people would stop suggesting that there is value in trying to "balance the classes."

I hope to God that "balancing the classes" has absolutely ZERO consideration in Wojo's calculus when recruiting for next year, and 100% of his decision making is focused on "Can this player help us win in 2016".  Period.  

The furthest I'd suggest he go would be if he feels 100% comfortable that he has a strong first 10 or 11 players for 2016, THEN take a chance on a couple of projects--NOT to balance classes, but because he thinks they can develop into a strong player. Or to take a high-quality transfer that has to sit out a year--again because he's a great player, not because he'll be a soph/junior/senior and you need one more in that class.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:22:51 AM by The Equalizer »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Good point  ;D

Should have said if it goes belly up this year. Sounds like the Ponies may have trouble right around the corner, and Moore is a stuff with 4 years behind him. Should be eligible to transfer either way, but a tourney ban may hasten the process.

SMU is gonna get burned to the ground, yet Syracuse and UNC get to go about their business with no interference. The NCAA continues to be a joke.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
After years of watching early departures for pros, transfers, players not pan out (either due to athletics or academics), players who are able to contribute as underclassmen, players who have limited contribution due to injuries, medical redshirts, etc. etc. etc., you would think people would stop suggesting that there is value in trying to "balance the classes."

I hope to God that "balancing the classes" has absolutely ZERO consideration in Wojo's calculus when recruiting for next year, and 100% of his decision making is focused on "Can this player help us win in 2016".  Period.  

The furthest I'd suggest he go would be if he feels 100% comfortable that he has a strong first 10 or 11 players for 2016, THEN take a chance on a couple of projects--NOT to balance classes, but because he thinks they can develop into a strong player. Or to take a high-quality transfer that has to sit out a year--again because he's a great player, not because he'll be a soph/junior/senior and you need one more in that class.

I agree. You recruit for need and not to balance classes. I do like transfers that have to sit out. You need 13 players for practice, but not for games.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
SMU is gonna get burned to the ground, yet Syracuse and UNC get to go about their business with no interference. The NCAA continues to be a joke.

And lets not forget Penn State...which now gets to pretend nothing ever happened. You're right. The NCAA is a pathetic, worthless joke.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »

I agree and think that the only people who think about balancing classes are fans of message boards and particularly scoop.  The coach's know better.  Now, there is always an exception in extreme cases, but that is a rarity.  Otherwise, it is about getting  the best players in and getting ready for next season.

feedback