collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ban New England from Super Bowl?  (Read 19244 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Ban New England from Super Bowl?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
Was there a second shooter?

Only Mr. Ruby... err, Goodell.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-triggers-stat-spat-as-analysts-attempt-to-solve-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

The patriots fumble A LOT less then every other NFL team, including dome teams

“Whoa. In this case NE is at the top of the list, and the next best team is a distant second. Notice how the second team [Baltimore] through the second to last team [Philadelphia] have rates that are within 1 or 2 plays of each other. NE, however, is better than the next best team by 20 plays per fumble.”

“Can you deny that the Patriots did not change dramatically in fumble rate since the 2006 season?” he asked. “Can you deny that the Pats are significantly better than the rest of the NFL since then?”

Is this deflate-story really a bunch of media hype that is analogous to corked bats in baseball like all my Pats friends tell me?  I'm not so sure.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-triggers-stat-spat-as-analysts-attempt-to-solve-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

The patriots fumble A LOT less then every other NFL team, including dome teams.

I'm not really sure what to make of the fumbling data, and there seem to be "experts" on both sides of the issue.

But, because I know that perception equals reality and because I hate the Patriots, I really hope they fumble six or seven times in the Super Bowl.  That would add some fuel to the fire.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
Here is the solution:
The team with the worst record is given a choice:  lose your first round pick and you get to play in the Superbowl.  If that team says no way, then the team with the second worst record is asked to take that deal, and so on down the line.
The best part about this plan is that nobody in the entire country would argue with any of it, and everybody would be thrilled to watch the new game without the least bit of commentary.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 06:34:14 AM »
The commissioner, in his annual state of the game presser on Friday, said no one wrote down the pre-game football pressures.  So they don't know if the balls started under inflated.

Translated, the investigation is over.  Nothing will come of this.  The league will probably apologize to the Patriots. In fact, the whitewash will be so complete they will probably give the Patriots extra draft picks to compensate for their "Pain and suffering."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:36:20 AM by Heisenberg »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
They should.   Tempest in a teapot.    Designated meme for this Super Bowl.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »
They should.   Tempest in a teapot.    Designated meme for this Super Bowl.  

You're correct it is a bunch of nothing.  And if Brady did exactly what Rodgers did the following day and said "I like my balls under-inflated so I had them under-inflated, next question" ... this would have been over in 20 minutes. (Recall the following day that Rodgers said he likes his balls over-inflated and they submit them with too much pressure and most of the time they pass.)

Instead Belichick and Brady went full Sgt. Schultz.  That is the issue.

The cover-up is always worse than the crime.  The issue here is whether the Patriots are covering this up.

(To put it in a political sense, what difference does it make that Nixon bugged the Watergate hotel, he won by 49 states and would have won anyway.  Why didn't we let that issue die after two days?  Answer, it was all about the cover-up.)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »

(To put it in a political sense, what difference does it make that Nixon bugged the Watergate hotel, he won by 49 states and would have won anyway.  Why didn't we let that issue die after two days?  Answer, it was all about the cover-up.)

Three reasons "we" didn't let it die - Woodward, Bernstein and Bradlee. If the press chooses to go after power it does usually end up being about the cover up because powerful people and institutions reflexively cover bad stuff up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »

The patriots fumble A LOT less then every other NFL team, including dome teams

“Whoa. In this case NE is at the top of the list, and the next best team is a distant second. Notice how the second team [Baltimore] through the second to last team [Philadelphia] have rates that are within 1 or 2 plays of each other. NE, however, is better than the next best team by 20 plays per fumble.”

“Can you deny that the Patriots did not change dramatically in fumble rate since the 2006 season?” he asked. “Can you deny that the Pats are significantly better than the rest of the NFL since then?”

Is this deflate-story really a bunch of media hype that is analogous to corked bats in baseball like all my Pats friends tell me?  I'm not so sure.

This was totally debunked by Nate Silver and a bunch of actual statisticians.  The claims this guy made were so mathematically wrong and logic flawed, but people couldn't wait to glob on to it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 12:30:44 PM »
You're correct it is a bunch of nothing.  And if Brady did exactly what Rodgers did the following day and said "I like my balls under-inflated so I had them under-inflated, next question" ... this would have been over in 20 minutes. (Recall the following day that Rodgers said he likes his balls over-inflated and they submit them with too much pressure and most of the time they pass.)

Instead Belichick and Brady went full Sgt. Schultz.  That is the issue.

The cover-up is always worse than the crime.  The issue here is whether the Patriots are covering this up.

Now ESPN is tweeting that it might have only been 1 of the 12 footballs that was underinflated, not 11 of the 12.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
This was totally debunked by Nate Silver and a bunch of actual statisticians.  The claims this guy made were so mathematically wrong and logic flawed, but people couldn't wait to glob on to it.

Someone with more time than I please do a forum search for a Chicos quote lambasting Nate Silver's credibility.  I don't recall any specific examples, but there's got to be something somewhere.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.