[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW  (Read 44039 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Unless we recruit a JUCO or grad student, we probably will have a combo of Duane, Cohen, Cheatham, NN (if applicable), etc, on the court, with each taking turns dominating the ball and playing off it. And absent a true stud PG, that probably would be a good thing.

I think Duane Wilson will be a solid PG, but an even better SG.  And if you look at Duke, they have a history of using 2 PG together.  This year it's Tyus Jones & Quinn Cook but you can go all the way back to Jason Williams & Chris Duhon.  And all the guards have PG responsibilities in transition.  Think of the three amigos as seniors.  Anyone of them could grab a rebound, make a steal, or come up with a loose ball and dribble up court as the PG in transition.  I think that's what Wojo wants his teams to be able to do.

Conventional thinking is that whoever gets the inbounds pass after 95% of made baskets and dribbles across half-court or resets the offense is "the PG" but I think Wojo wants all of his guards to be able to score and have some PG responsibilities.

Exactly.  This isn't Buzz's offense, where you had a point, a post and three switchables.

You can see it in the way they play now.  Derrick brings it up, but he doesn't always initiate the offense.  Oftentimes it's Carlino.  Sometimes it's Duane.

People can't get hung up on who will be *the* point guard.  We are likely looking at multiple players with point guard skills.  And also, please don't try to fit these guys into "traditional" 1-5 positions. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
Face it.. Duane isn't going to get the PG spot over our two resident Senior PG's. This season still has life and college sports aren't like major sports. You don't "rebuild" and simultaneously cast out your senior captains. But I do think Duane will/could be our PG. Watched him at Dominican and he is great at it. Right now on this team he is our undisputed second offensive option. So it's better to have Derrick facilitate our only two guards who can make things happen.

Next year the offensive dynamic and scheme will likely be completely different. But for now Derrick is our point and after him it's Carlino. Wojo believes in rewarding the guys with experience and I honestly have no problem with that.

Please don't forget about Luke.  Restoring offensive balance is the only way to improve our results in Big East play.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
Please don't forget about Luke.  Restoring offensive balance is the only way to improve our results in Big East play.

I'm one of the few on here who still is high on Luke. The problem with him is that he gets doubled so quickly. He seems afraid to put it on the floor and do post moves. And when he is wide open he is hesitant. He will figure it out but right now most of his offense comes off of misses and drive and dishes by the guards.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
Great examples with Wojo's experiences at Duke and reasonable projections for his plans at Marquette.

Unless you have an elite PG -- which we haven't had since Diener, and some might not even bestow "elite" status on him (though I do) -- folks are too into trying to assign labels.

In our Elite 8 year, it was often Junior's job to hand the ball to Vander and get out of the way.

And go ahead, name the Bulls' PG during either of their threepeats.

John Paxson for the first three peat, Steve Kerr for the second, although many would say everything ran through Pippen as the point forward.  Does the triangle offense even require a point guard?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:51:15 PM by LittleWade »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
I can agree with the above statement.  It isn't nearly as atrocious as it was last season.  However, the team desperately needs a 3rd scorer, and everyone knows that won't be Steve, Juan, or evidently Luke against Big East caliber centers - so who does that leave??  JJJ and Cohen.

You can't remove Duane or Carlino.  So which guards minutes can you cut in the hopes to get a 3rd scorer on the floor? 

Again, if we are winning games, no argument.  But, we aren't.  We are losing close games.  The zone mitigates Derrick's best trait - which would be being a solid on ball defender.  The length of JJJ and Sandy would be very beneficial to our zone.

Wojo's insistence to play Derrick 34 minutes a game is where I continue to have a beef.  Not allocating 15-20 of those minutes to Cohen and JJJ is where I absolutely disagree.

I'm not sure why you feel qualified to talk about Big East centers.  Did you play against Big East centers in high school? 8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
I'm one of the few on here who still is high on Luke. The problem with him is that he gets doubled so quickly. He seems afraid to put it on the floor and do post moves. And when he is wide open he is hesitant. He will figure it out but right now most of his offense comes off of misses and drive and dishes by the guards.

I think Luke will be fine.   Every Big East team has players as big as he is, most are more athletic.  He has a bum shoulder.   He has no help down low.    Teams are game planning for him.    He is getting hit with a whole lot of challenges all at once.    This is the year to learn.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »

I expect Luke to have a fine last two seasons at Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
You are absolutely right. He needs to learn to kick it back out, because we do have a couple of three point shooters (and no, I don't mean Juan). Until the last game I had not seen him do that. Of course, he probably figures that if he kicks it back out to Carlino, he will not see it come back again.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
You are absolutely right. He needs to learn to kick it back out, because we do have a couple of three point shooters (and no, I don't mean Juan). Until the last game I had not seen him do that. Of course, he probably figures that if he kicks it back out to Carlino, he will not see it come back again.
Willie, you were doing so good with your Kate Upton comment.  I like that willie.