[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW  (Read 44288 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »
Wojo showed his willing to shake up minutes by playing whoever was hot last night. Derrick and Juan's minutes decreased. Sandy and Steve's went up. We've got a big homestand coming up. Let's see who steps up and takes their minutes by force.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
I think grooming Duane at the point makes all the sense in the world, and you don't even need to alter Derrick's minutes one iota to do so.

Fine. Find a JUCO PG that we may not find or know how he will perform. We can keep our eye out. In the meantime, give the keys to Duane to see what he can do. We all know Derrick's abilities, and he won't be here next year. We should at least be seeing what Duane can do, which has not yet been done.

I wonder if there is any correlation between those posters that accuse a coach (like Buzz or Wojo) of throwing a season and those posters who actually wish that they would do so.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:57:30 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »
I wonder if there is any correlation between those posters that accuse a coach (like Buzz or Wojo) of throwing a season and those posters who actually wish that they would do so.

LOL - I'll take your bait MURS.  I don't believe Wojo is "throwing this season."  I stand by my belief that Buzz was giving admin a Big F You on the way out of town last year.

Lastly, I assume you are implying that if we went to the lineup I suggested in this thread - that would be indicative of trying to throw the season??  Sorry, but just like last year, when you and some others preached patience, Buzz's teams get better, blah, blah - the same is holding true this year and will continue to hold true - we aren't going to win at a decent clip if nothing changes.  Now, we may not win anymore if Wojo does make the change - but at least you are getting playing experience for the future, a diagnostic for the player and coach next year - and that is in the long term interests of the program.  Period.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
LOL - I'll take your bait MURS.  I don't believe Wojo is "throwing this season."  I stand by my belief that Buzz was giving admin a Big F You on the way out of town last year.

Lastly, I assume you are implying that if we went to the lineup I suggested in this thread - that would be indicative of trying to throw the season??  Sorry, but just like last year, when you and some others preached patience, Buzz's teams get better, blah, blah - the same is holding true this year and will continue to hold true - we aren't going to win at a decent clip if nothing changes.  Now, we may not win anymore if Wojo does make the change - but at least you are getting playing experience for the future, a diagnostic for the player and coach next year - and that is in the long term interests of the program.  Period.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
Why anyone would argue against guys earning minutes and for handing them out undeservedly is beyond me. Put in the work, get better, earn the minutes. It's hardly a difficult concept.

All this stupid "give minutes for the sake of it" crap is why we have so many entitled kids that want everything handed to them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »

I'd say that all eight scholarship players are receiving plenty of playing time Ners.  I've stood up for you on many occasions because I don't subscribe to the belief that coaches are perfect in their decision making.  In this case I think you're wrong.

Derrick Wilson is one of the best five players on this team this season.  He was terrible last year.  He's improved quite a bit since last season yet he is never going to be what your definition of a point guard should be.  He had a awful night last night (as did many others).  We can argue about potential but when the roster is eight deep and the playing time is fairly equitable thus far (it has been) I'd say everyone is having a chance at development this season.

Is the four minute per game difference that Derrick gets (31.2) over Duane (27.2) the extra four minutes Duane needs to develop???

Think about that for one second.  You're complaining about what amounts to a medium length pop song on the radio in terms of minutes played per game.  Over the course of a season it barely adds up to a feature length film.

Do you really want to go on record saying that the amount of time it takes to watch The Shawshank Redemption is the reason why Duane Wilson won't reach his potential for next season?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

I'd say that all eight scholarship players are receiving plenty of playing time Ners.  I've stood up for you on many occasions because I don't subscribe to the belief that coaches are perfect in their decision making.  In this case I think you're wrong.

Derrick Wilson is one of the best five players on this team this season.  He was terrible last year.  He's improved quite a bit since last season yet he is never going to be what your definition of a point guard should be.  He had a awful night last night (as did many others).  We can argue about potential but when the roster is eight deep and the playing time is fairly equitable thus far (it has been) I'd say everyone is having a chance at development this season.

Is the four minute per game difference that Derrick gets (31.2) over Duane (27.2) the extra four minutes Duane needs to develop???

Think about that for one second.  You're complaining about what amounts to a medium length pop song on the radio in terms of minutes played per game.  Over the course of a season it barely adds up to a feature length film.

Do you really want to go on record saying that the amount of time it takes to watch The Shawshank Redemption is the reason why Duane Wilson won't reach his potential for next season?

Hi Matty - I understand your point.  And I agree Derrick is MUCH better this year than last - though I'm not sure I believe he is one of the 5 best players on the team.  And while you raise good points about their minute distribution only being separated by 4 minutes - the bigger issue to me is this:  Though Wojo's offense does involve a good deal of interchange among the guards - Derrick has been the primary ball handler bringing the ball up the court, initiating the offense.

I want to see Duane in that role so we get him experience for next year, see what he has this year, and see how it affects the team.  I also feel that the program would benefit more long term if 20 of Derrick's current 30 minutes were given to JJJ and Cohen.  I also do believe we'd have a better chance of winning if this did take place as well.

But again, I agree Derrick is much improved over last year - yet I don't see it being enough to help this team win in such a way that we have a chance at NCAA.  Perhaps, we catch a little lightening in a bottle and go on a run if we turn the keys over to Duane and the youngsters  - and if not, we weren't likely making the NCAA anyway.  Not sure anyone much cares if we go to the NIT - though to not make it last year was embarrassing considering what that team had in the way of talent.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:44:57 PM by NersEllenson »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
While I'd obviously prefer to make the NCAAs, the NIT would make me happy, and that would actually benefit the kids. It would be a nice badge for seniors that missed all postseason last year, and playing those games would be a good experience for the young players that have never played a postseason tournament.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
It appears, from at least one poster who claims to be near the coaching staff, that the staff believes Cheatham to be the PG next year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »
While I'd obviously prefer to make the NCAAs, the NIT would make me happy, and that would actually benefit the kids. It would be a nice badge for seniors that missed all postseason last year, and playing those games would be a good experience for the young players that have never played a postseason tournament.

That's a good point.  Though I see it as being the likely outcome whether we make a change or don't make a change.  But I cannot see this team making the NCAA if nothing changes.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
Why anyone would argue against guys earning minutes and for handing them out undeservedly is beyond me. Put in the work, get better, earn the minutes. It's hardly a difficult concept.

All this stupid "give minutes for the sake of it" crap is why we have so many entitled kids that want everything handed to them.

Ding Ding Ding!! Spoken like someone who actually played competitive sports.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
It appears, from at least one poster who claims to be near the coaching staff, that the staff believes Cheatham to be the PG next year.

I, myself, am not close to the coaching staff.  I was a manager my frosh year for Buzz/Autry during the DJO/Crowder Sweet 16 season.  But the other manager in my class is still there (all the credit to him) and occasionally fills me in on things I am curious about.  I've let him know I bring a little of what he says to this board and he doesn't mind.....so there.....no bridge burned.

A few weeks back I asked him who Wojo was looking at to assume PG duties next year since Derrick and Matt will both be graduating.  All he told me was that Duane could take the reigns but that the staff really loves the prospect of Haanif running the point.  Of course that is months away, but it is worth discussing with opinions I respect on this board.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
I, myself, am not close to the coaching staff.  I was a manager my frosh year for Buzz/Autry during the DJO/Crowder Sweet 16 season.  But the other manager in my class is still there (all the credit to him) and occasionally fills me in on things I am curious about.  I've let him know I bring a little of what he says to this board and he doesn't mind.....so there.....no bridge burned.

A few weeks back I asked him who Wojo was looking at to assume PG duties next year since Derrick and Matt will both be graduating.  All he told me was that Duane could take the reigns but that the staff really loves the prospect of Haanif running the point.  Of course that is months away, but it is worth discussing with opinions I respect on this board.

Thanks for the info.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »

Brew - The problem is, that largely, based on the on floor play - It doesn't merit giving 35+ minutes per game in conference play.  Particularly to a guy that isn't integral to the future of the program.  At some point, when the lights are on, you HAVE to perform.  Some coaches have a hard time trusting underclassmen.  Plain and simple.

I've worked with salespeople who had to make 80 calls per day to even have a chance at success, while others can make 20 and consistently outperform them.  Though you love the grinder, and hard working guy - eventually production matters - and when it comes time for a promotion/raise - the guy who produces gets the raise.

Playing the underclassmen isn't playing them for the sake of playing them - it wouldn't even be a debate if the upperclassmen were performing at a good level.  (But they aren't.)  Playing the young guys is investing in the future of your program.  And that has value.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »

Nobody accused Wojo of throwing the season. And there is absolutely no evidence that if Duane was given significant minutes at PG this year to see what happens that is throwing the season. Everybody knows  Derricks's skill set and many are still praying that he can lead us to many victories, but that is not happening. Everybody also knows we need a PG next year. But very few want to change it up to see what Duane can do. How do you know until you try him? Answer: You do not. So give him the keys to see how he does. If he fails, then those people can say I told you so. If he plays well or even average, then he may be the solution. Seems logical. 
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »
So, allegedly the staff believes that Cheatham will be the answer, so we do not try somebody now to see how he performs? Does not make sense. And besides, we have been told that Wojo wants to win now, so why not try it now. Lots can happen between now and next year that could make the "staff's" feelings change.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
So, allegedly the staff believes that Cheatham will be the answer, so we do not try somebody now to see how he performs? Does not make sense. And besides, we have been told that Wojo wants to win now, so why not try it now. Lots can happen between now and next year that could make the "staff's" feelings change.
Do you really think a coaching staff comprised primarily of former elite college guards doesn't already know what Duane can do?  That's why many think this whole line of reasoning is asinine. 

They know.  Let me say that again -- THEY KNOW

They know that Derrick is the best option.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
Do you really think a coaching staff comprised primarily of former elite college guards doesn't already know what Duane can do?  That's why many think this whole line of reasoning is asinine. 

They know.  Let me say that again -- THEY KNOW

They know that Derrick is the best option.

And as the poster said - they feel Duane is a viable and capable option at the PG right now.

So like the last coaching staff, this coaching staff, can continue to beat the dead horse of playing Derrick Wilson 30+ minutes per game, and continuing to see us lose at a high rate.   Or try an alternative, and at minimum see if it makes a difference for THIS season.  (Not to mention gain valuable diagnostic data on Duane as a GAME (not practice) player at the PG position.)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Brew - The problem is, that largely, based on the on floor play - It doesn't merit giving 35+ minutes per game in conference play.  Particularly to a guy that isn't integral to the future of the program.  At some point, when the lights are on, you HAVE to perform.  Some coaches have a hard time trusting underclassmen.  Plain and simple.

I know people don't like aspects of Derrick's game, but right now turnovers are killing us. The reason Derrick is the primary ballhandler is because he can be trusted to protect the ball. Playing him only 10-15 minutes would almost certainly lead to more turnovers.

Are there cases where the trade off might be worth it? Sure. But thus far, neither Duane nor Jajuan have proven they are at that level. Jajuan's shooting hasn't earned it and Duane's ballhandling hasn't earned it.

Like him or not, we need what Derrick brings to that role, and I'm confident we will miss those parts of his game next year. I still have high hopes for both of those guys, but they will learn more and become better players if they earn time rather than just being thrown to the wolves and going it goes well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
So like the last coaching staff, this coaching staff, can continue to beat the dead horse of playing Derrick Wilson 30+ minutes per game, and continuing to see us lose at a high rate.   Or try an alternative, and at minimum see if it makes a difference for THIS season.  (Not to mention gain valuable diagnostic data on Duane as a GAME (not practice) player at the PG position.)

Irony.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
And as the poster said - they feel Duane is a viable and capable option at the PG right now.

Well, it seems negative punishment doesn't work that well. Maybe try positive punishment? Positive or negative reinforcement?

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
I would like to see Duane get the chance to run the team . I think Duane and JJJ together give us a very nice transition duo, as Cohen matures he is also part of that style of play. Also it would greatly benefit Luke.

I want to win now and belief that Duane gives us more of a chance to win than Derrick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »

I want to win now and belief that Duane gives us more of a chance to win than Derrick.

Email the coaches.  I am sure they would appreciate your input.

I'm sure they get a good laugh out the ones that Buzz printed out and left taped to the wall about John Dawson.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
I know people don't like aspects of Derrick's game, but right now turnovers are killing us. The reason Derrick is the primary ballhandler is because he can be trusted to protect the ball. Playing him only 10-15 minutes would almost certainly lead to more turnovers.

Are there cases where the trade off might be worth it? Sure. But thus far, neither Duane nor Jajuan have proven they are at that level. Jajuan's shooting hasn't earned it and Duane's ballhandling hasn't earned it.

Like him or not, we need what Derrick brings to that role, and I'm confident we will miss those parts of his game next year. I still have high hopes for both of those guys, but they will learn more and become better players if they earn time rather than just being thrown to the wolves and going it goes well.
You do not know who else can be trusted with the ball. Yes TO's are killing us (BTW our TO's are substantially less than opponents this year).--other areas are also killing us are: rebounding; FT shooting; poor shooting; lack of height and depth, and so on. What level is it that Duane and JJJ not at? Derrick's? I for one am comfortable that Duane could dribble the ball around the perimeter as well as Derrick. Of course we will not find out until we try it for a while. Instead we will sit  back and say that Derrick is better playing PG for 30 plus per game with the same results, you and others will not admit that it might be a good idea to try something different. Never change what is not getting the job done to see if it might do better. Right?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
I must admit I hold my breath whenever Duane is on the perimeter and tries to take his defender off the dribble. Hope the staff is working with him on that first step.
Awfully close to traveling more often than not.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria