[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW  (Read 44350 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
It is time for Wojo to turn the PG position over to Duane and groom him for the future.  Get him experience the rest of the way from here on out to prepare for next season.  Duane far and away has the best potential to be a PG of anybody on this current roster, or in looking to next year's class.  Duane is quick enough, has good enough handles, can break people down off the dribble...plus if he wants any chance at the next level, he needs to become a bona fide PG 

Perhaps in doing so, we actually find a winning formula yet this year.

PG - Duane
2G - Carlino
3G - JJJ/Cohen
4   - Juan
5   - LUke

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:38:21 AM »
It is time for Wojo to turn the PG position over to Duane and groom him for the future.  Get him experience the rest of the way from here on out to prepare for next season.  Duane far and away has the best potential to be a PG of anybody on this current roster, or in looking to next year's class.  Duane is quick enough, has good enough handles, can break people down off the dribble...plus if he wants any chance at the next level, he needs to become a bona fide PG 

Perhaps in doing so, we actually find a winning formula yet this year.

PG - Duane
2G - Carlino
3G - JJJ/Cohen
4   - Juan
5   - LUke

I understand where you are coming from, but coaches don't think this way. As MattyV (the scooper, not the journalist) is fond of saying, you don't play to maybe be better the next season. You play to win now.

We are six games in. We've lost all our road games and have won all our home games. We've beaten the spread in every one of our losses except for Depaul and Omaha. We've got a three game homestand coming up. Win all three and we have a winning conference record. I think its too early to expect Wojo to pull the plug on this season.

I don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking. I am worried about next year's PG position and I don't have high hopes for this season. But I understand why Wojo wants to keep fighting. I also understand how unfair it is to the seniors to just quit on the season.

Oh and if you moved Duane to PG, Derrick would still be our starting 3G  ;)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
I understand where you are coming from, but coaches don't think this way. As MattyV (the scooper, not the journalist) is fond of saying, you don't play to maybe be better the next season. You play to win now.

We are six games in. We've lost all our road games and have won all our home games. We've beaten the spread in every one of our losses except for Depaul and Omaha. We've got a three game homestand coming up. Win all three and we have a winning conference record. I think its too early to expect Wojo to pull the plug on this season.

I don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking. I am worried about next year's PG position and I don't have high hopes for this season. But I understand why Wojo wants to keep fighting. I also understand how unfair it is to the seniors to just quit on the season.

Why? Because Wojo told you so, right? It is time to try somebody else at PG. And to make you happy, Wojo can play Derrick at PF or SF, if you prefer.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »

So you're saying that's what Marquette coaches are doing by giving Derrick minutes at the point? Ners reads ya.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
Ners,

I know where this thread is headed, and that's fine. I'm going to chose not to participate.

But, if I can ask a favor, can we keep this contained to this one specific thread and not do this after every game in multiple threads for the rest of the season?

I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks dude.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
Why? Because Wojo told you so, right? It is time to try somebody else at PG. And to make you happy, Wojo can play Derrick at PF or SF, if you prefer.

I was basing it on their performance so far. But if Derrick has more games like last night and Cohen and JjJ continue to step up, than Derrick will find his way to the bench.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »
I was basing it on their performance so far. But if Derrick has more games like last night and Cohen and JjJ continue to step up, than Derrick will find his way to the bench.
JJJ did not step up last night and he certainly is not a point guard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »
JJJ did not step up last night and he certainly is not a point guard.

Well obviously but the comment was about what would happen to Derrick if Duane took over the point.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
I think grooming Duane at the point makes all the sense in the world, and you don't even need to alter Derrick's minutes one iota to do so.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
I am not sold that DuWil is the point guard of the future.  Many see him as a 2 guard.

It looks like Wojo is looking at Jucos  to fill the job for next year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
I am not sold that DuWil is the point guard of the future.  Many see him as a 2 guard.

The JC kid can be given a starting position so it has to attractive to any 2 year player.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
I love the idea of bringing in an impact player at PG from the juco ranks. Unfortunately, I don't know if that player exists. There are only two available players listed as PGs in the top 50 JUCOs, #16 Austin Pope from North Idaho College and #29 Dequon Miller from Motlow State Community College (TN). Now I'm not watching any of these kids' games so maybe one of the players listed as SG or SF actually has PG skills. But it seems like the juco talent at PG is limited at best.

I think we are more likely to try and get an impact point guard via graduate transfer. No idea who will be available but I think we have a better shot of find an instant contributor at PG there than JUCO.

Now there are some other JUCOs I would love to add...Kimani Jackson Deswhawn Freeman, or Andrew Zelis for example. Would be nice to add some more depth to the front court.
TAMU

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
Granted. Last game was not a good one for Derrick. But everyone else has trouble dribbling in traffic and against the press. Everyone.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
I love the idea of bringing in an impact player at PG from the juco ranks. Unfortunately, I don't know if that player exists. There are only two available players listed as PGs in the top 50 JUCOs, #16 Austin Pope from North Idaho College and #29 Dequon Miller from Motlow State Community College (TN). Now I'm not watching any of these kids' games so maybe one of the players listed as SG or SF actually has PG skills. But it seems like the juco talent at PG is limited at best.

I think we are more likely to try and get an impact point guard via graduate transfer. No idea who will be available but I think we have a better shot of find an instant contributor at PG there than JUCO.

Now there are some other JUCOs I would love to add...Kimani Jackson Deswhawn Freeman, or Andrew Zelis for example. Would be nice to add some more depth to the front court.
Fine. Find a JUCO PG that we may not find or know how he will perform. We can keep our eye out. In the meantime, give the keys to Duane to see what he can do. We all know Derrick's abilities, and he won't be here next year. We should at least be seeing what Duane can do, which has not yet been done.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »

All good--play to win now. How has that bee working? We are 18 games in and playing at about .500. Since we have already lost all our away games, let's see how somebody else handles the PG at 30 plus minutes a game for several games. We already know how is has been handled.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »

OK, you are not sold. Let's play him there now for some games to see how he sells. Logic: We will not have a PG for next year, and have plenty of 2G's for this year and next. Carlino, JJJ, Sandy, now. Juan can also play there. Next year, same minus Carlino and Juan and adding Cheatham. Plenty of 2G's--let's see what Duane can do.

That should sure answer some questions.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »

This is my concern as well.  Furthermore, given how competitive recruiting is, it's no guarantee you get a JUCO PG.  There also will be transfer options, yet if the player is good, it will also be very competitive to land the kid.

In my view, why would Wojo NOT make Duane the PG of the future?  Duane will always be undersized as a 2 in the Big East.  Highly doubt either Cheatham or Nick (if he even makes it to MU) will be legit options at PG next season.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »

Thats quite a long name

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »
Thats quite a long name

And that's just his last name.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
I also understand how unfair it is to the seniors to just quit on the season.
As long as the shift in minutes from seniors to younger players is based on in-game performance, then Wojo is not "quitting" on his seniors--he's actually doing exactly what you think: trying to win now. He would have been more than justified in doing that with Derrick this year in several games. AmIrightNers?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »
In my view, why would Wojo NOT make Duane the PG of the future?  Duane will always be undersized as a 2 in the Big East.  Highly doubt either Cheatham or Nick (if he even makes it to MU) will be legit options at PG next season.

I agree with this. I think the starting PG job is Duane's to lose for next season. He will have it until somebody takes it from him.

I think an impact transfer at PG would be great for our team. But I do think with a full offseason of work, that Duane would make a quality starting PG next season.
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »
I agree with this. I think the starting PG job is Duane's to lose for next season. He will have it until somebody takes it from him.

I think an impact transfer at PG would be great for our team. But I do think with a full offseason of work, that Duane would make a quality starting PG next season.

In my view, we aren't going to be an NCAA team this season if nothing changes.  Yet, why not make the change this season and see what happens?  In so doing, Duane gains valuable experience for next year, Wojo gets a diagnostic of Duane as a Big East level PG - and both player and coach can learn the necessary areas for improvement as the games will illustrate.

It's not hating on Derrick either to hope the above happens - it just makes sense for the program at this point.  Also, like it or not, Wojo really needs to let JJJ get out there and play 25-30 a game to give both a sense of what he is at this point, what he can improve on - but the game experience will help him grow as a player for next season.

Duane - 30   Derrick 10
Carlino - 30  Cohen 10
JJJ - 27        Cohen 13
Juan - 30      Steve 10
Luke - 30      Steve 10

The above would be the best for the remainder of this year for us to turn it around, as well as help the most for next year.  Perhaps you could add another 5-10 minutes for Derrick and take away 5-10 from JJJ/Cohen combined

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
I'm surprised. This is the first time I've seen someone post negatively towards Derrick

feedback