[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Naming Rights for New Arena or Naming Rights to Medical School

Marquette Medical School
Marquette Arena

Author Topic: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?  (Read 18018 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2015, 02:11:43 AM »
I hope we don't use SHU as a measuring stick. If we do, we're doomed.

Are you suggesting any school with an endowment like SHU or lower is doomed?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
I don't think the medical school is on Marquette's radar. Nor do I think it will be anytime soon. I also personally think it shouldn't be. The university has much bigger (or more immediate might be the better term) problems to face (tiny endowment, cost of tuition, woefully out of date rec center, inadequate housing, lack of elite professors) that need to addressed before they can start thinking about wants like a medical school.

This. Unless some donor writes MU a nine-figure check (and let's assume he/she would not have given the money for any other purpose), starting a medical school would only divert funds and attention from Marquette's more pressing needs.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
I hope we don't use SHU as a measuring stick. If we do, we're doomed.

SHU was used as an example because they've figured out how to finance a medical school.  We apparently haven't.  Maybe you're right - we're doomed.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »
I don't think the medical school is on Marquette's radar. Nor do I think it will be anytime soon. I also personally think it shouldn't be. The university has much bigger (or more immediate might be the better term) problems to face (tiny endowment, cost of tuition, woefully out of date rec center, inadequate housing, lack of elite professors) that need to addressed before they can start thinking about wants like a medical school.

By the way, besides the endowment which I already addressed, the university is and has been addressing housing for several years. I don't consider updating the rec center to be a huge priority (it is much more a "nice to have"), although I agree with you it is out of date. I disagree on the lack of elite professors and would argue that a med school would be a perfect vehicle to bring even more in. The cost of tuition is something every university is dealing with. I don't see why Lovell couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:02:35 AM by Bleuteaux »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
SHU was used as an example because they've figured out how to finance a medical school.  We apparently haven't.  Maybe you're right - we're doomed.

Perhaps "we" have figured out how to finance a medical school, but just don't want to.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »

Look, just because Seton Hall doesn't spend their money wisely doesn't mean we have to. I would be surprised if Seton Hall exists in 50 years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »
Are you suggesting any school with an endowment like SHU or lower is doomed?

No, but I'm suggesting non-elite private schools are doomed
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »

I agree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
By the way, besides the endowment which I already addressed, the university is and has been addressing housing for several years. I don't consider updating the rec center to be a huge priority (it is much more a "nice to have"), although I agree with you it is out of date. I disagree on the lack of elite professors and would argue that a med school would be a perfect vehicle to bring even more in. The cost of tuition is something every university is dealing with. I don't see why Lovell couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I have worked at four different universities, one of them is division 2. I have visited dozens more. Marquette has the worst housing and rec facilities of any university that I have witnessed. We are decades behind other universities. That's including the "upgrades" we've made to housing in the last few years.

The endowment is way too small for a university of our prestige.

Elite professors don't come to Marquette anymore. They go to the large state schools. Marquette doesn't have enough to offer them in terms of research opportunities.

And yes every school is dealing with cost of tuition, but small privates like us have a much bigger problem than the state schools.

I also think you underestimate the cost of a medical school. As chick said, we would need a 9 figure donation that was earmarked for a medical school.
TAMU

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »

Do you consider MU "elite" right now? Because I don't. Things like medical schools get you there.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
I have worked at four different universities, one of them is division 2. I have visited dozens more. Marquette has the worst housing and rec facilities of any university that I have witnessed. We are decades behind other universities. That's including the "upgrades" we've made to housing in the last few years.

Elite professors don't come to Marquette anymore. They go to the large state schools. Marquette doesn't have enough to offer them in terms of research opportunities.

And yes every school is dealing with cost of tuition, but small privates like us have a much bigger problem than the state schools.

I also think you underestimate the cost of a medical school. As chick said, we would need a 9 figure donation that was earmarked for a medical school.

Medical school = biggest research opportunities in academia.

By the way, although startup costs are significant (which is why you partner with a medical system) there is nothing preventing it from becoming revenue neutral or revenue positive....R&D = medical discoveries, patents, new drugs, therapies, etc which can all bring in money. If you have a university run hospital that is also a revenue generator.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

Regaining control of MCW would probably cost MU $250M.  Starting its own medical school from scratch, even more.  I agree that the money would be better served going to the endowment (it needs to be $1B+).  

But the original question asked (I'm assuming for the same amount of money) what would be better, naming rights, or the medical school.  Without a doubt if somehow it was that cheap, getting MCW back would be awesome.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »
Do you consider MU "elite" right now? Because I don't. Things like medical schools get you there.

I do. Top 100 rankings also get you there. Medical schools are money sucks for years and years before they start to have a positive impact.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
I do. Top 100 rankings also get you there. Medical schools are money sucks for years and years before they start to have a positive impact.

Which would be relevant if the question was whether MU should start a med school from scratch.  It wasn't; the question was whether MU should get MCW back if it could.

I have no idea if that's possible, but talking about start up costs and "money sucks for years and years" is totally irrelevant given the initial question.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »
Perhaps "we" have figured out how to finance a medical school, but just don't want to.

Given MU's track record of decisions regarding the med school, that's quite plausible.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »

Are there any particular schools that you think MU should try to emulate?  Should MU aim to be, say, a Midwest version of Georgetown, for instance?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »

Ehhhhh

U of Phoenix is for-profit, and it has plenty of issues. But I would not call it a diploma mill. It has been around a long time and does actually do some good for some people. I would liken it to DeVry. Most importantly, they are both regionally accredited schools (regional accreditation is the most important). Unlike some for-profit schools, I would argue a degree from U of Phoenix or DeVry are certainly better than no college degree, in terms of finding a job. Plenty of people at my office have degrees from these schools, and have successful careers.

There are plenty of for-profit schools that are much more egregious in their practices than U of Phoenix, and that are not accredited.

Fewer and fewer people, it seems....

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/25/investing/university-of-phoenix-apollo-earnings-tank/index.html

feedback