[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Naming Rights for New Arena or Naming Rights to Medical School

Marquette Medical School
Marquette Arena

Author Topic: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?  (Read 17949 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
If it was possible, the medical school.  Having a medical and law school gives a school lots of visibility and respect in the academic community.  I agree with Tex Western - relinquishing control to the state was the biggest MU mistake in decades.  

I helped the med school with a fundraising drive - calling MU Med School alums - shortly after the change.  Typical responses:

- "Sure, I'd be happy to donate...as soon as you get the Marquette name back!"  Click.
- "What are you talking about, I didn't go to that school."  Click.
- "You don't need my money now that you're taking state dollars."  Click.
- Click.

It was a lot of fun.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »
I'm kinda shocked by the answers.  I get that it's a completely hypothetical and not even possible.

But, the only good marketing choice for naming rights would be the Marquette Arena.  Naming the med school that only gets you regional recognition in the exact same region you already have recognition.

The Los Angeles Lakers (and every other NBA team) playing the Milwaukee Bucks at Marquette University Arena on national TV gets you much more bang for your hypothetical marketing dollars.

Look at University of Phoenix Stadium as an example.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
Does anyone view the University of Phoenix as a serious academic institution...or is it merely the .com school that happens to have paid to name a stadium?

My impression has always been the latter.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
Does anyone view the University of Phoenix as a serious academic institution...or is it merely the .com school that happens to have paid to name a stadium?

My impression has always been the latter.

No. It's a for-profit diploma mill. Point is though, like Rocky noted, the marketing and recognition are the important pieces.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »
I'm kinda shocked by the answers.  I get that it's a completely hypothetical and not even possible.

But, the only good marketing choice for naming rights would be the Marquette Arena.  Naming the med school that only gets you regional recognition in the exact same region you already have recognition.

The Los Angeles Lakers (and every other NBA team) playing the Milwaukee Bucks at Marquette University Arena on national TV gets you much more bang for your hypothetical marketing dollars.

Look at University of Phoenix Stadium as an example.

If main arena was renamed the Marquette Arena, people outside of Wisconsin would have one of the following two questions:

1. Why are the Bucks playing in a college arena?
2. When did the Bucks move to Michigan?
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Best investment is for MU is to grab the land from the Interchange to the River.  Naming rights ain't worth diddly for a university. Real estate is where it is at for a non-profit, and there are some good deals in that tract.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:31 AM »
It was 1968, the year of the Tet offensive. The Marquette University School of Medicine was losing lots of money. It became the Marquette School of Medicine, Inc. When it came to getting state money, the name had to be changed so that all the upstate people didn't have the idea that tax dollars were going to a religious institution. Voila! - Medical College of Wisconsin. It ain't coming back.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:47 AM »
For $50M they could build a new business school and have money left over.  I vote that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 06:45:22 AM »
We got a better chance of gettin' Willie and the Warriors back, than MCW morphin' into the 15th Street Medical School again, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 10:18:06 AM »
No. It's a for-profit diploma mill. Point is though, like Rocky noted, the marketing and recognition are the important pieces.

Ehhhhh

U of Phoenix is for-profit, and it has plenty of issues. But I would not call it a diploma mill. It has been around a long time and does actually do some good for some people. I would liken it to DeVry. Most importantly, they are both regionally accredited schools (regional accreditation is the most important). Unlike some for-profit schools, I would argue a degree from U of Phoenix or DeVry are certainly better than no college degree, in terms of finding a job. Plenty of people at my office have degrees from these schools, and have successful careers.

There are plenty of for-profit schools that are much more egregious in their practices than U of Phoenix, and that are not accredited.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:20:37 AM by Bleuteaux »

MU8285

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
This strikes me as the same thing as longing for a football team.  A money pit that's only benefit is to make some alumni who remember when such things were MU feel vindicated.

In that vein though, there is clearly a value to having a football team beyond making alumni feel good.  There was never one when I was there, so no big deal.  But my niece is getting ready to pick a college.  She was admitted to Marquette.  She listed as one of the reasons she will not be going there as the lack of a football team.  She thinks football Saturdays will be important to the overall college experience. 

I know some of you will come down on her for felling that way, but the point is if one kid feels that way, there are probably a lot more than do too.  So don't say bringing back football has no value.  Might not be worth the investment, but it has value.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
If Marquette could reclaim ownership of the Medical College of Wisconsin it would be a huge huge deal.  It would immediately make MU a tier 1 research University.  It would have more research dollars than many AAU schools.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »

If you have ever seen Kate when it's not Sports Illustrated swimsuit shoot season, you can tell that girl has trouble keeping her weight down.  I have a feeling she is going to blow up like a balloon as soon as she is "retired".

That's for future me to worry about
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:06 AM »
In that vein though, there is clearly a value to having a football team beyond making alumni feel good.  There was never one when I was there, so no big deal.  But my niece is getting ready to pick a college.  She was admitted to Marquette.  She listed as one of the reasons she will not be going there as the lack of a football team.  She thinks football Saturdays will be important to the overall college experience. 

I know some of you will come down on her for felling that way, but the point is if one kid feels that way, there are probably a lot more than do too.  So don't say bringing back football has no value.  Might not be worth the investment, but it has value.

my nephew from the chicago area did the same.  he loved marquette-location, academics, basketball tradition...but-wanted saturday football.  so he goes to traditional perennial football power-indiana, and gets tom crean as a bonus, but he got his academics fulfilled.  remember, he made this decision coming out of high school. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
Medical schools bring acclaim and positive attention.

Arenas could be filled with the likes of Bob Dukiet and stay hollow.

SS Marquette

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »
If Marquette could reclaim ownership of the Medical College of Wisconsin it would be a huge huge deal.  It would immediately make MU a tier 1 research University.  It would have more research dollars than many AAU schools.
This is how I look at it. It is why I framed the question. It is why I think it was the biggest mistake our school made. Should be a priorty of Lovell.

Look at what Seton Hall is doing...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/seton_hall_medical_school.html

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
This is how I look at it. It is why I framed the question. It is why I think it was the biggest mistake our school made. Should be a priorty of Lovell.

Wow. Maybe MU should seriously look into this, even just a study of what the feasibility and costs would be. For the record, our endowment is almost twice Seton Hall's (about $240 mil vs. about $560 mil). The article says they are splitting costs with a local health network. If MU could partner to do that with Aurora or Columbia St. Mary's it might actually be worth a look. Hell, Aurora already has a hospital on campus. MU already has a top notch biomedical sciences/engineering program. It would create Milwaukee jobs, and I bet Walker would throw some state money at it. Yes, MCW is in Milwaukee, but there are only 2 medical schools in the whole state, and with the ACA and many doctors retiring in the next decades, the demand will be going through the roof.

I'm not saying it necessarily would work, but I agree, its worth a feasibility study.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:47:30 PM by Bleuteaux »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for as a wife and whether you are thinking long term or short term.

Heidi is way, way, wealthier.  Plus she can hold up her end of a conversation.  And  you already know she ages well.

If you have ever seen Kate when it's not Sports Illustrated swimsuit shoot season, you can tell that girl has trouble keeping her weight down.  I have a feeling she is going to blow up like a balloon as soon as she is "retired".
Looks like Justin Verlander  has to wait till she is retired...
http://okmagazine.com/photos/justin-verlander-kate-upton-proposed-she-said-no-marriage/photo/1001185127/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »
The article says they are splitting costs with a local health network. If MU could partner to do that with Aurora or Columbia St. Mary's it might actually be worth a look. Hell, Aurora already has a hospital on campus.

Wheaton Franciscan may be an even better option. It's the largest hospital system employer in the state and has three hospitals in the Milwaukee metro area. It's the fastest growing system, but unlike the other big systems it doesn't really have a signature specialty, like St Mary's burn unit, Aurora's cardiac center at Luke's, or Froedtert's trauma center and medical college.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »
Wheaton Franciscan may be an even better option. It's the largest hospital system employer in the state and has three hospitals in the Milwaukee metro area. It's the fastest growing system, but unlike the other big systems it doesn't really have a signature specialty, like St Mary's burn unit, Aurora's cardiac center at Luke's, or Froedtert's trauma center and medical college.

Wheaton is definitely not the biggest hospital employer in the state. I believe Aurora is actually the largest employer in the state (any type). Three hospitals within Milwaukee County with additional hospitals in Ozaukee, Kenosha, and Waukesha counties as well as further north (Oshkosh for sure). Unfortunately, Aurora has a partnership with UW Health for the medical school and residency/fellowship programs.

As a proud grad of the MU Physician Assistant program (hence, WarriorPA) I know the biomedical sciences program is absolutely top notch in addition to the PA and PT programs. The College of Health Sciences is under appreciated. The biomedical sciences major is actually the largest major on campus and I've heard rumors that they are not even considering students for acceptance with ACT scores less than 28.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:43:35 AM by WarriorPA »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:37 PM »
That's right, Aurora is largest, Wheaton is fastest growing (at least according to their press). But yeah, Aurora is UW, Froedtert is MCW. CSM or Wheaton are the two main options. Having worked for CSM I'd avoid them at all costs. Already closed the Columbia campus and have constantly been downsizing. Ascension Health (CSM's parent company) has tons of national interests and isn't vested in Wisconsin. Right now their only focus is keeping their head above water.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

Yep.  If SHU can find the resources to develop a med school from scratch, MU should be able to find a way to regain naming rights and control over MCW.  Maybe partner with GE Medical Systems, like SHU is partnering with Roche?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »
I don't think the medical school is on Marquette's radar. Nor do I think it will be anytime soon. I also personally think it shouldn't be. The university has much bigger (or more immediate might be the better term) problems to face (tiny endowment, cost of tuition, woefully out of date rec center, inadequate housing, lack of elite professors) that need to addressed before they can start thinking about wants like a medical school.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »
I don't think the medical school is on Marquette's radar. Nor do I think it will be anytime soon. I also personally think it shouldn't be. The university has much bigger (or more immediate might be the better term) problems to face (tiny endowment, cost of tuition, woefully out of date rec center, inadequate housing, lack of elite professors) that need to addressed before they can start thinking about wants like a medical school.

Our endowment is twice the size of SHU's

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2015, 12:31:10 AM »
Our endowment is twice the size of SHU's

I hope we don't use SHU as a measuring stick. If we do, we're doomed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.