[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Naming Rights for New Arena or Naming Rights to Medical School

Marquette Medical School
Marquette Arena

Author Topic: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?  (Read 18015 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »
What would be a better investment for Marquette buying naming rights to the  new Milwaukee Bucks related arena or to Medical College of Wisconsin (formerly our Medical School). Assume it would take a $50 million investment for either one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:50:11 PM by Texas Western »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Poll: Which is A Better Investment for MU?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
My gut is Medical College, but I don't know if/how that would work.

As far as a MU arena... provided the logistics work (which is NOT a small challenge), I still don't think it's a good idea. MU doesn't have enough programming to use the facility enough to make it worth it.

You'd be paying big dollars for prime real estate and an expensive building, just to let it sit for 300+ days per year.

Hell, an indoor fieldhouse for soccer, lacrosse, track, etc. would get more use.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
I believe you forgot to include a "none of the above" choice.
Have some patience, FFS.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
My gut is Medical College, but I don't know if/how that would work.

As far as a MU arena... provided the logistics work (which is NOT a small challenge), I still don't think it's a good idea. MU doesn't have enough programming to use the facility enough to make it worth it.

You'd be paying big dollars for prime real estate and an expensive building, just to let it sit for 300+ days per year.

Hell, an indoor fieldhouse for soccer, lacrosse, track, etc. would get more use.
I think the biggest mistake of the last 50 years was giving up the medical school name. So I am assuming if we contributed $50 million they would give us back the name ( an assumption)

As to the arena, it would be the New downtown arena and we are just buying the name rights.

I agree wholeheartedly about the indoor fieldhouse. That would change the dramatically change the dynamic of the school for the kids.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
I think the biggest mistake of the last 50 years was giving up the medical school name. So I am assuming if we contributed $50 million they would give us back the name ( an assumption)

As to the arena, it would be the New downtown arena and we are just buying the name rights.

I agree wholeheartedly about the indoor fieldhouse. That would change the dramatically change the dynamic of the school for the kids.

I think changing the medical school back to "Marquette School of Medicine" is more complicated than just slapping a new name on it.  It would have to become a Jesuit institution again in every sense of the word.  Also, wasn't the main reason it got spun off was that it became a major financial drain? That would eat up that $50 million in no time.

And who cares about Marquette Medical School going away (and in name only) except a few alum?  I am not trying to be a smart ass, it's an honest question.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
and why would the Bucks let another team put their name on the new Bucks arena?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »

Well, if it's just naming rights, then I don't want the arena at all. As far as medical college, again, I don't know the logisitics/challenges of such a plan, so I'll plead ignorance.

AND, in theory, I'm not necessarily in favor of a fieldhouse either. While I love shiny new things, I'd like MU to continue to lay out a plan where they can be efficient and viable in the future. A new fieldhouse is fun and all, but tuition cannot climb forever, so I'd like to see how they are planning for the future.  

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
and why would the Bucks let another team put their name on the new Bucks arena?
The Bucks wouldn't mind if the are the highest biddder. Going rates got be $3M/year so I bet naming right will sell for 25 years/75 million. I doubt MU would pay that when they could just invest that in the university for better building/etc. The bball team provides enough publicity.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
I believe you forgot to include a "none of the above" choice.

+1

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:47:43 PM »
I think it is interesting that people throw around these 8-figure amounts like it's cash that is currently burning a hole in President Lovell's pocket.

Marquette is never going to have that kind of money to spend a vanity project unless someone donates it - and in that case, it will go to whatever project the donor wants to spend it on.  And that project would likely carry the donor's name, not Marquette's.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
I think it is interesting that people throw around these 8-figure amounts like it's cash that is currently burning a hole in President Lovell's pocket.

Marquette is never going to have that kind of money to spend a vanity project unless someone donates it - and in that case, it will go to whatever project the donor wants to spend it on.  And that project would likely carry the donor's name, not Marquette's.

A Scooper can dream!

I vote for MUScoop College of Medicine at Marquette University, where everyone is the expert.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
I think the question is flawed.  Naming rights is just crap.  Either an its a partial investment in MCW or in the new arena.  I'd vote for investing in the arena way before I'd invest anything in MCW.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »
Just a theoretical exercise on a slow Tuesday afternoon to get view points. Obviously we need a benefactor.

Having our name on a top 50 medical school might be worth it in some peoples estimation. May upgrade our overall perceived status in a meaningful way and also tie in about 2/3 of the undergraduate majors .

I am thinking of the naming right as an alternative to investing in the equity of the arena, which is effectively a contribution .  At least with naming we got Marketing and intangible benefits.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
Just a theoretical exercise on a slow Tuesday afternoon to get view points. Obviously we need a benefactor.

Having our name on a top 50 medical school might be worth it in some peoples estimation. May upgrade our overall perceived status in a meaningful way and also tie in about 2/3 of the undergraduate majors .

I am thinking of the naming right as an alternative to investing in the equity of the arena, which is effectively a contribution .  At least with naming we got Marketing and intangible benefits.

I have friends that work at MCW so I'm more "aware" of it than most and I'm hard pressed to imagine there are any tangible marketing benefits for putting Marquette's name on it.  Plus other than money, what does MCW get out of the deal?  Do they really need to change brands at this point?

This strikes me as the same thing as longing for a football team.  A money pit that's only benefit is to make some alumni who remember when such things were MU feel vindicated.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »

It's a meaningless exercise. It would be like putting up a poll on whether jsglow's next wife should be Kate Upton or Heidi Klum.  It's not going to happen (for a variety of reasons), so why bother?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
It does sort of beg the question though, I wonder why MCW completely got rid of the Marquette name, rather than being Marquette Medical College but a different legal entity?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
It does sort of beg the question though, I wonder why MCW completely got rid of the Marquette name, rather than being Marquette Medical College but a different legal entity?

Why would they keep Marquette in the name without any affiliation to the university?  And if the university was divesting the group at the time, why would Marquette want it's name associated with it?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »
It's a meaningless exercise. It would be like putting up a poll on whether jsglow's next wife should be Kate Upton or Heidi Klum.  It's not going to happen (for a variety of reasons), so why bother?

I know that is totally ridiculous.....who would even compare Kate Upton and Heidi Klum.  Nobody would pick Heidi in that scenario.

Now if it's a poll of Kate Upton vs Blake Lively we've got a whole other ball game.

;D

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
It's a meaningless exercise. It would be like putting up a poll on whether jsglow's next wife should be Kate Upton or Heidi Klum.  It's not going to happen (for a variety of reasons), so why bother?

I thought you were Kate Upton....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
I thought you were Kate Upton....

Yeah, I get that a lot.....
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »
I know that is totally ridiculous.....who would even compare Kate Upton and Heidi Klum.  Nobody would pick Heidi in that scenario.

Now if it's a poll of Kate Upton vs Blake Lively we've got a whole other ball game.

;D

I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for as a wife and whether you are thinking long term or short term.

Heidi is way, way, wealthier.  Plus she can hold up her end of a conversation.  And  you already know she ages well.

If you have ever seen Kate when it's not Sports Illustrated swimsuit shoot season, you can tell that girl has trouble keeping her weight down.  I have a feeling she is going to blow up like a balloon as soon as she is "retired".
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Neither. Putting our name on the arena just doesn't feel like a big deal. Whether it's the Mecca, or Bradley Center, or BMO Harris Bradley Center, the arena name hasn't mattered. Could it be a recruiting tool to have our name mentioned every time the Bucks play? Sure, but not as much as a new athletic dorm like Kentucky's Coal Lodge.

As far as the Medical College, as mentioned before it would have to be a full Jesuit institution. I just don't see that happening.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
Neither
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
Can't we put our name on Potawatomi and share the revenue?  Damn, I knew we should have kept the Native American mascot...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »
if mu has that kind of money, might as well start a football team with the marquette name on the jerseys, cheerleaders with the marquette name on, coaches with shirts and marquette name on, a field with marquette name...
don't...don't don't don't don't