[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Myron's 10 Most Disappointing Teams  (Read 63181 times)

Benny B

• All American
Myron's 10 Most Disappointing Teams
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/101958/top10thursday-most-disappointing-teams

Fortunately, the editors are on the ball over at ESPN.com this morning.  I managed to get my hands on the original post Myron submitted for publication:

---------------------

#Top10Thursday: Most disappointing teams
January, 8, 2015
By Myron Medcalf | ESPN.com

So, this isn't one of those feel-good lists. If your favorite team is mentioned here, it's not a good thing.

We're nearly halfway through the season. There's plenty of time for change -- for better or worse.

As of now, however, the following are the 10 most disappointing programs in 2014-15.

But first, here are three teams that barely missed the cut:

Syracuse -- Recent news that DaJuan Coleman will not play this season because of an injury only added to Cuse's woes. The Orange offense, in terms of efficiency, hasn't been this bad in more than a decade. But a 2-0 start to ACC play after Wednesday's gutsy win over Georgia Tech could mean Jim Boeheim's squad has found its mojo.

Florida -- The Gators have played a top-10 schedule and only suffered one bad loss on a freakish ending against Florida State. They essentially lost their starting five from last season and the leadership that those veterans provided.

Connecticut -- Yes, the Huskies are 2-5 against the BPI's top-100. That's not good for the defending national champs, but they're still ranked 20th in adjusted defensive efficiency. And those back-to-back one-point losses to Yale and Texas were the result of wacky last-second shots.

Marquette -- I'm from Milwaukee, and I saw a picture of Al McGuire once.  Needless to say, I am disappointed in the Warriors (I'm from Milwaukee, so I don't have to apologize for calling Marquette by it's old nickname).  I had them picked to finish last in the Big East, and here they are in seventh place.  Irregardless, their sole conference win against Providence on the road would otherwise help there tournament resume if not for the fact they lost to DePaul in a home game at the US Cellular Arena.  By the way, I'm from Milwaukee, so forgive my referring to an arena by it's old monikker.

Agree with this list? Disagree? Tell us on Twitter by using #Top10Thursday.

1. North Carolina Tar Heels

The bar can't change midseason. Before 2014-15 commenced, the talk around the Tar Heels centered on a possible Final Four run, national title contention and a challenge to Duke for the ACC crown. Maybe even winning it. The Tar Heels have lofty efficiency numbers, but you're supposed to beat Butler, Iowa (home) and Notre Dame (home) -- at least two of the three -- if you're a legit title contender. North Carolina hasn't met expectations yet.

2. Kansas State Wildcats

Has anyone heard from the Wildcats lately? With Marcus Foster (6-for-20 in the last three games), who cracked the first team of the preseason all-Big 12 squad, anchoring a unit that reached the NCAA tourney last season, it appeared that Bruce Weber's squad would slide into the conference mix at some point. Guess there's still time, but Kansas State's five sub-50 losses (BPI) and current three-game losing streak aren't exactly inspiring.

3. Michigan Wolverines

John Beilein usually finds a way. That's been the norm for the Wolverines. Nik Stauskas followed Trey Burke. And Caris LeVert entered this season as the next NBA-level wing for the Wolverines. But LeVert doesn't play power forward or center, so he can't help Michigan with its issues in the paint -- 323rd in offensive rebounding rate after Mitch McGary turned pro and Jon Horford transferred -- and that's a major problem for a program that has losses to Eastern Michigan and NJIT, and is ranked 75th in adjusted defensive efficiency.

4. Colorado Buffaloes

Here's the weird thing. This is essentially the same team that reached the NCAA tournament after Spencer Dinwiddie suffered a season-ending knee injury last season. The Buffaloes don't have any signature wins, and Hawaii is the worst of their six losses. Their offense is ranked 127th in adjusted efficiency. They're not a Pac-12 sleeper. They're just asleep.

5. Massachusetts Minutemen

What the heck is happening in Amherst? Yes, the Minutemen lost Chaz Williams, who obviously meant a lot to the program. That's not a legit excuse, though. They've lost to St. Bonaventure (No. 113 in BPI) by 14 and Florida Gulf Coast (No. 170 in BPI) by nine. They're 3-6 in their last nine. This is a sharp decline from last season when they were one of the nation's early surprises.

6. Harvard Crimson

Tommy Amaker's team has built a strong rep with three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and back-to-back advances to the second round. The expectations have changed with that success, though. And the Crimson haven't met them. They began the year at No. 25 in the preseason AP poll. And then they lost to Holy Cross (No. 269 in BPI), Virginia (by 49 points!) and Arizona State by double digits.

7. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The Cornhuskers (No. 108 in BPI) were ranked in the preseason after last year's run to the Big Dance, the program's first since 1998. Things looked good this offseason, and then a mediocre offense got worse (259th in adjusted offensive efficiency per Ken Pomeroy). And they're committing turnovers on 21 percent of their possessions. NBA prospect Terran Petteway is committing 3.8 turnovers per game.

8. Memphis Tigers

Josh Pastner is a nice guy. But that doesn't mean a thing if your program is underachieving. Yes, Memphis lost a veteran backcourt that played a significant role for the Tigers in recent years. But Shaq Goodwin and Austin Nichols form a solid frontcourt. You just don't expect to see any Memphis team get whipped by every solid squad on its schedule to date (24-point loss to Baylor in November) while also suffering losses to Stephen F. Austin and Tulane.

9. UCLA Bruins

When Steve Alford accepted a big contract to lead the Bruins, he also accepted the responsibility of pumping out respectable units, even though UCLA is one of a few blue-chip programs that are perennially stripped of talent by the one-and-done culture. Still, Kevon Looney is a lottery pick. Alford's son, Bryce, is a solid guard. Norman Powell and Tony Parker are good. But the Bruins are ranked 134th in adjusted offensive efficiency. Yes, the Bruins have faced the No. 6 strength of schedule in the country, but they've also been embarrassed (five consecutive losses, including a 32-point loss at Utah over the weekend) against that slate.

10. Michigan State Spartans

First, the good. Michigan is now ninth in adjusted defensive efficiency, per Ken Pomeroy. The Spartans can compete in the Big Ten with top-10 defense. Now, the bad. Well, there was the Texas Southern loss (Branden Dawson didn’t play). They're 3-4 against the BPI top 100. They just crushed an Indiana team that was also a candidate for this list. That's promising, but their challenges on offense are not.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warrior of Law

• All American
Re: Myron's 10 Most Disappointing Teams
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
Dreadful journalism.  1) De Paul game was in Chicago; 2) Providence game was at home; and 3) MU no longer plays at the arena.  30 seconds of research, on the ESPN website, would have yielded all of this information.  Does he hold a paid position?
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
He used "irregardless." Tar and feathers are too good for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »
Myron is still a moron.  Marquette doesn't play in the Cell (which is the same thing he said this spring).  

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10987296/looking-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball

Dude has a serious hang up about Marquette.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
 Picked MU last, they are currently 7th, every conceivable fact wrong......this guys is just sad. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
Just when you think Myron couldn't get any dumber
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
It's been edited and Marquette was taken out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
It's been edited and Marquette was taken out.

Editor probably decided to fact check him for once
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Just when you think Myron couldn't get any dumber

You have to wonder if Myron is intentionally trolling MU fans at this point.  I'm a firm believer in Hanlon's razor but this is too dumb to be accidental.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
He used "irregardless." Tar and feathers are too good for him.

Ha!  I was thinking the same thing.
It's not a word and people still use.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Marquette -- I'm from Milwaukee, and I saw a picture of Al McGuire once.

Seems like trolling MU fans for living in the glow of 1977.

Needless to say, I am disappointed in the Warriors (I'm from Milwaukee, so I don't have to apologize for calling Marquette by it's old nickname).

More trolling?

I had them picked to finish last in the Big East, and here they are in seventh place.

So wouldn't that be good?

Irregardless,

Not a word.

their sole conference win against Providence on the road

That game was at home.

would otherwise help there tournament resume

That's the wrong "there".

if not for the fact they lost to DePaul in a home game

It was on the road.

at the US Cellular Arena.

We don't play there.

By the way, I'm from Milwaukee,

Yeah, third time he said "I'm from Milwaukee", it is either trolling or someone at ESPN hacked his page to troll him.

so forgive my referring to an arena by it's

Wrong use of it's.

old monikker.

Moniker is misspelled.

So that's seven errors in one paragraph, three "I'm from Milwaukee" quotes, and complaining about a team that he picked 10th for being in 7th. Either Myron is trolling Marquette fans or someone else hacked this and is trolling Myron. At a cursory read, I didn't notice any other glaring grammatical errors, so this has to be a troll one way or the other.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

So that's seven errors in one paragraph, three "I'm from Milwaukee" quotes, and complaining about a team that he picked 10th for being in 7th. Either Myron is trolling Marquette fans or someone else hacked this and is trolling Myron. At a cursory read, I didn't notice any other glaring grammatical errors, so this has to be a troll one way or the other.

Well done on the troll job Benny.  This is the first person that picked up on it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »
He got one thing right - three of his ten most disappointing teams are from the BIG.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Seems like trolling MU fans for living in the glow of 1977.

He says "here are 3 teams that barely missed the cut" and then mentions 4, with Marquette being the last one as if someone added it at the end.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:55:42 AM by hairy worthen »

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
On the Sky Zone robbery article, they have inside as "incide".  Maybe they have just completely given up at this point, ready to close the doors when their building comes down for the new Arena.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
That's brutal.

Somebody send it to deadspin. They might pick it up.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »
I have staff who aren't strong enough writers to submit written work to clients without my review.  Their grammar, accuracy, and presentation are light years ahead of this moron.  Yet ESPN still employs him, and publishes this pollution on a website with heavy traffic before it bothers to edit?  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
Guys as brewcity pointed out...Benny did this.  He's the troll.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
Goshdammit Benny
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
The troll by Benny was to real.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
Ugh.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »
This guy has consistently been against Marquette over the years. Everyone should email him with the editorial corrections.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
Guys as brewcity pointed out...Benny did this.  He's the troll.

I'm so damn gullible.  Damn you Benny

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Nice troll Benny.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
nm