'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'll give the coaching committee credit..:  (Read 9602 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
I'll give the coaching committee credit..:
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »
In that it takes a lot of work to find the one coach in America who can get out-coached by Oliver Purnell.

If not taking Gabe Levin and Carlino weren't early signs of his "brilliance" then watching his player personal choices and game managent has me wanting to patent "Wojo Bellicheck" t-shirts.

"Brilliantly" push Deonte and Dawson out of the program so you can play Derrick Wilson, Carlino and Juan extensively as they are colletively good for 6 points and 10 unforced turnovers a game.

Then don't start your star center with a NBA body but have him come off the bench. Then teach this center not to develop a five foot jumper and/or find a way to draw aggressive fouls when a zone or double team comes but just to pass out to the opposite side of the 3 point line every time even if the other teams catches on to this.  Meanwhile tell the other players to stop being aggressive too and just pass it around the perimeter so you can throw up a low percentage shot with the shot clock winding down.

Of course having an incompetent and/or crooked official call an absurd charge on Luke Fisher instead of two free-throws doesn't help....that call was another four point swing against us and essentially sealed Marquette's fate today.

The perfect storm above led us losing to one of the worst teams in college b-ball in a quasi home game.

Let's hope 2015 brings wisdom to our coaches as 2014 left a lot to be desired from both Buzz and Wojo.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: I'll give the coaching committee credit..:
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
"I agree"
      --Willie Warrior

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »
Oh hey, haven't seen you since Wisconsin. Please leave again you're not wanted. Mods can we please ban this pretty boy once and for all?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

Of course having an incompetent and/or crooked official call an absurd charge on Luke Fisher instead of two free-throws doesn't help....that call was another four point swing against us and essentially sealed Marquette's fate today.

Garrett clearly was in position in time and drew a pretty easy charging call.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
The charge on Fischer was completely obvious.  Garrett was still, in plenty of time, and his feet were outside the arc.  He should have dumped it off to Duane.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »
Garrett clearly was in position in time and drew a pretty easy charging call.

This is true..

Ignore the troll
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:43:32 PM »
If Wison had a left hand it should have been an easy lay up, never should have dished it to Luke, fundamentals, Derrick needed to take the ball into the middle then three on one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
If Wison had a left hand it should have been an easy lay up, never should have dished it to Luke, fundamentals, Derrick needed to take the ball into the middle then three on one.

Fundamentally you get the ball to the middle.  The problem is that Fischer barreled into the lane out of control.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

Agreed.  Luke had no chance once he got that ball.  He was too close and moving too fast to not foul him on a shot.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Fundamentally you get the ball to the middle.  The problem is that Fischer barreled into the lane out of control.
If de Will would have thrown it to the rim for Luke to go get, it would not have been a charge.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
If de Will would have thrown it to the rim for Luke to go get, it would not have been a charge.

He wouldn't have been able to alley-oop it in from that distance.  Fischer should have dumped it off to Duane who was wide open to his right, with his hands up waiting for the pass.  That IMO was 100% on Fischer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »

He wouldn't have been able to alley-oop it in from that distance.  Fischer should have dumped it off to Duane who was wide open to his right, with his hands up waiting for the pass.  That IMO was 100% on Fischer.

I think Derrick should have thrown the lob to Duane.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »

? Derrick passed the ball behind him to Luke's mid section.  One second earlier, if DWill lobs it up we are not discussing this. Most 7' running the lane aren't expecting a pass to their mid section. It's on Derrick.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »
Agree. Luke had no time to react but go to the hoop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
Of course he had time to react.  He decided to barrel into the guy.

LegalEagle15

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
Derrick needed to take another step or two and force the defender to fully commit to him before making the pass to Luke. It was the right idea, he just made his pass too early.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
In that it takes a lot of work to find the one coach in America who can get out-coached by Oliver Purnell.

If not taking Gabe Levin and Carlino weren't early signs of his "brilliance" then watching his player personal choices and game managent has me wanting to patent "Wojo Bellicheck" t-shirts.

"Brilliantly" push Deonte and Dawson out of the program so you can play Derrick Wilson, Carlino and Juan extensively as they are colletively good for 6 points and 10 unforced turnovers a game.

Then don't start your star center with a NBA body but have him come off the bench. Then teach this center not to develop a five foot jumper and/or find a way to draw aggressive fouls when a zone or double team comes but just to pass out to the opposite side of the 3 point line every time even if the other teams catches on to this.  Meanwhile tell the other players to stop being aggressive too and just pass it around the perimeter so you can throw up a low percentage shot with the shot clock winding down.

The perfect storm above led us losing to one of the worst teams in college b-ball in a quasi home game.

Let's hope 2015 brings wisdom to our coaches as 2014 left a lot to be desired from both Buzz and Wojo.

Hater or Troll???

Either way, the above statements are way overboard.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 09:59:29 PM »
Hater or Troll???

Either way, the above statements are way overboard.

+1

This post is what I hate about message boards, irrational thoughts using poor grammar just meant to troll. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »
The charge on Fischer was completely obvious.  Garrett was still, in plenty of time, and his feet were outside the arc.  He should have dumped it off to Duane.
Bingo, poor decision by derrick. Should have given it up right away to duwil he had an easy basket.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »

Wow, I guess you're a lock to pass out well before midnight.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »

You're right getting carlino was a huge mistake we should totally only have 7 active players instead!
Maigh Eo for Sam

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
Wow clicked on this thread and had no idea why I had OP on ignore.... now I know why

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
Dumbest post started by the stupidest poster on this board.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
Wojo has done a tremendous job. Any one the says otherwise is a dope.

And it will only get better as he gets HIS recruits here.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »
Dumbest post started by the stupidest poster on this board.

While this is a dumb post, weren't you just arguing against fouling when down late in games when trailing because it hardly ever works?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery