Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke's shoulder  (Read 14447 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Luke's shoulder
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:35:01 PM »

I am concerned about Luke's left shoulder.  He aggravated it without much cause.  He was going up for a shot and the defender chopped at the ball, but not with a huge amount of force.  On the bright side, he returned to the game, and didn't seem to be favoring it.

Does anyone know the extent of his injury?  How did he first injure it?  Is it an injury that will heal or will it require surgery at some point?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Luke's shoulder
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
I am concerned about Luke's left shoulder.  He aggravated it without much cause.  He was going up for a shot and the defender chopped at the ball, but not with a huge amount of force.  On the bright side, he returned to the game, and didn't seem to be favoring it.

Does anyone know the extent of his injury?  How did he first injure it?  Is it an injury that will heal or will it require surgery at some point?

He opted to not have surgery but probably should have once he decided to transfer. Hopefully it'll stay strong and healthy.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
I, too, noticed the shoulder pain.  The look on his face scared me more than seeing the shoulder brace every game.  I was surprised to see him come back after wincing the way he did.  Maybe surgery was in order.  shades of Anthony Pieper- I remember his shoulder getting so bad by the end of the season that he turned his body to catch a pass with his good arm and let his bad-shoulder-arm hang limp.  I obviously hope Luke's is mending rather than deteriorating!

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
I, too, noticed the shoulder pain.  The look on his face scared me more than seeing the shoulder brace every game.  I was surprised to see him come back after wincing the way he did.  Maybe surgery was in order.  shades of Anthony Pieper- I remember his shoulder getting so bad by the end of the season that he turned his body to catch a pass with his good arm and let his bad-shoulder-arm hang limp.  I obviously hope Luke's is mending rather than deteriorating!
We are woefully under-informed to be surmising as to whether Luke should have gone under the knife or not. I know it's Scoop and all, but this is too much.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »
Looked like he had a shoulder separation, possibly some time ago,  that has not healed and was aggrevated by the hit in the game. You have to have had one to understand the type of pain in his face. It is like bone grinding on bone but it did not pop out so back in the game is not a surprise once the pain subsides.

I would expect surgery in the off season. Tendons simply do not tighten automatically. But hey, I'm not a doctor.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
chronic shoulder pain oh well...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
We are woefully under-informed to be surmising as to whether Luke should have gone under the knife or not. I know it's Scoop and all, but this is too much.

Looks to me like he needs knee surgery and a colonoscopy, too. And probably a new barber.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
It was reported that Luke suffered a torn labrum in the fall of his year at Indiana. He elected not to have  surgery. The issue with the non surgical approach is there is an approximate 90 percent reoccurrence rate. All the physical therapy and training in the world doesn't matter.

If he has arthroscopic surgery it takes 22-24 weeks to get cleared to play contact sports. Then realistically your looking at up to 3 months of intense training to recover from the atrophied muscle and get back in shape.

If Luke can make it through the season, which is a big if, he should consider  immediately having surgery as soon as the season is over.  He would probably be ready by next year. The good news with the surgery is he is completely repaired.

I have five digit medical bills from my kids dealing with this  injury . Just by watching Luke I can sense he is having issues that are going to become chronic .

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »
Stick it in a boot between games.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
It was reported that Luke suffered a torn labrum in the fall of his year at Indiana. He elected not to have  surgery. The issue with the non surgical approach is there is an approximate 90 percent reoccurrence rate. All the physical therapy and training in the world doesn't matter.

If he has arthroscopic surgery it takes 22-24 weeks to get cleared to play contact sports. Then realistically your looking at up to 3 months of intense training to recover from the atrophied muscle and get back in shape.

If Luke can make it through the season, which is a big if, he should consider  immediately having surgery as soon as the season is over.  He would probably be ready by next year. The good news with the surgery is he is completely repaired.

I have five digit medical bills from my kids dealing with this  injury . Just by watching Luke I can sense he is having issues that are going to become chronic .

There are different types of torn Labrum's and the surgeries or recommendation for a surgery is highly dependent upon which type of tear.  Similarly the recoveries depend on which type of tear it is and what type of surgery is performed.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
There are different types of torn Labrum's and the surgeries or recommendation for a surgery is highly dependent upon which type of tear.  Similarly the recoveries depend on which type of tear it is and what type of surgery is performed.

correct response

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »

+1000 and the rate of failure on these surgeries is higher than just a "plain" rotator cuff.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
As someone on the internet, I really think he should have had surgery on something. For sure.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:56 PM »

Windy,  I believe you misread my post..., or at least misunderstood it.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 12:05:29 AM »
Stick it in a boot between games.

Yeah, don't we have any shoulder boots?

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
As an internet Doctor, I prescribe scoop some chill pills. His shoulder is going to be a chronic problem, but Steve's knee was ok last year? If you ask the player, they will usually say that they are good to go, because they are competitors. Unless anyone shows me proof of his diagnosis, I don't see the point in speculating what his exact injury is and the best way to fix it. Nobody here knows.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
A fifth of Jack and a handful of oxycodone before every game.

What could possibly go wrong?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
I'm just gonna sit back, relax,  and Respect the Process of Scoop Speculation.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
Looked like he had a shoulder separation, possibly some time ago,  that has not healed and was aggrevated by the hit in the game. You have to have had one to understand the type of pain in his face. It is like bone grinding on bone but it did not pop out so back in the game is not a surprise once the pain subsides.

I would expect surgery in the off season. Tendons simply do not tighten automatically. But hey, I'm not a doctor.

I have a 3rd degree separation in my right shoulder from a snowboarding accident. It's painful for the first year. But after, you forget that it's separated. A small downward slap wouldn't hurt it like that. It only hurts when it's bent in overstretched directions, like when your arm gets tangled up with a defender.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
A fifth of Jack and a handful of oxycodone before every game.

Is there a rule limiting this to just game time, Doc?

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
Is there a rule limiting this to just game time, Doc?

Absolutely not.  Part of my everyday training routine....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
Absolutely not.  Part of my everyday training routine....

I find that a snort of Laphroaig makes it the Holy Trinity

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Many playas have had their middle leg displaced and it didn't hurt their game at all, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
I have a 3rd degree separation in my right shoulder from a snowboarding accident. It's painful for the first year. But after, you forget that it's separated. A small downward slap wouldn't hurt it like that. It only hurts when it's bent in overstretched directions, like when your arm gets tangled up with a defender.

An AC joint injury is a totally different.  Not to mention what kind of complicating injuries/conditions Luke has.  I've had multiple separations on both shoulders from years rugby.  Those have caused me little to no recurring pain (yet).  However, I also had recurring stingers from neck and shoulder nerve compression.  A well placed and unexpected slap on my back can can cause a shot of fire to run down my right arm and a good amount of pain.  It is gone within 30 seconds. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
A well placed and unexpected slap on my back can can cause a shot of fire to run down my right arm and a good amount of pain. 

You receive a lot of these?

I am only an expert on most things, not all, but I think with labrum tears you will sometimes find the real extent of what's up once you actually go into the shoulder... so, how bad it is / the exact procedures / healing & rehab process / etc. may not  be known with great precision until a surgery is performed.

I say drug him up before each game.

Probably will have to call it a season days before selection sunday.. causing us to miss the tourney.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.