Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Michigan state..  (Read 30730 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Michigan state..
« on: December 20, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Are they a bad loss now????

?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Michigan state..
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Losing to a SWAC team at home.   :o
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
Are they a bad loss now????

?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(

Maybe, but we are a different team now that Luke is playing. We'll know what kind of team we have after the first 5 games in conference.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
Losing to a SWAC team at home.   :o

Not a typical SWAC team tho.

Chris Thomas is one of the more talented kids in college basketball, period
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Seriously, they are 2-8.  Chris Thomas is shooting 41% from the field, 28% from 3 and 58% from the FT line.  He as an assist to TO ratio of around 0.6. 

They are a typical SWAC team.

Michigan St. has lived by the 3 this season.  Today they were 4-21. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »
Seriously, they are 2-8.  Chris Thomas is shooting 41% from the field, 28% from 3 and 58% from the FT line.  He as an assist to TO ratio of around 0.6. 

They are a typical SWAC team.

Michigan St. has lived by the 3 this season.  Today they were 4-21. 

Sometimes numbers are misleading.

Dig deeper.

And get back to me in March!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
You can disagree with JB, but you would be wrong.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

Dig deeper.

Well for them to be playing in March they have to get past Southern, which I don't think they can.  I would also take Tre Lynch from Southern over Thomas.

Also, his numbers are almost identical to last year, so I doubt they are misleading.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
Well for them to be playing in March they have to get past Southern, which I don't think they can.  I would also take Tre Lynch from Southern over Thomas.

Also, his numbers are almost identical to last year, so I doubt they are misleading.

Most anything can happen in a conference tourney, so there's certainly a good chance Texas Southern doesn't make the NCAA tourney. However, any decent person would project them to be there (despite being 2-8 today).

For what purpose you'd be taking Tre Lynch I don't know, but you may have him and I'll gladly take Chris.

Thomas' numbers season-to-date are very similar to last year's. Differences include a diff team and a major, major one ---> strength of competition this year is FAR better than a year ago. Let's see how things progress the rest of the year.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but as others have pointed out you may disagree with me on this, but you are wrong.

(PS - I'm kind of kidding in the tone above, but VERY serious about both Chris and Texas Southern)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
One of the more talented kids in college basketball period, is one of the biggest exaggerations I have seen.

You can't be serious with that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:33:18 AM »

Before yesterday, they had one win and 8 double digit losses. They've played a tough schedule, but calling that anything other than an awful loss would be a lie. Texas Southern could run the table in the SWAC and that would still be a bad loss.

The truth lies somewhere in between. TSU may be a SWAC title contender, but they are still a SWAC team. Michigan State isn't as good as they usually are. There's no sugar coating that this is a game they should win 100 out of 100 times.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »

Dig deeper.

I'd love for you to expand on "Dig deeper"?  At what exactly? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:44 AM »
Before yesterday, they had one win and 8 double digit losses. They've played a tough schedule, but calling that anything other than an awful loss would be a lie. Texas Southern could run the table in the SWAC and that would still be a bad loss.

The truth lies somewhere in between. TSU may be a SWAC title contender, but they are still a SWAC team. Michigan State isn't as good as they usually are. There's no sugar coating that this is a game they should win 100 out of 100 times.

The SWAC is usually toward the bottom of conference RPI ratings and oftentimes their champion participates in one of the Dayton play in games.  Texas Southern may be the best of that bunch, but that simply means it is the top turd on the dungpile.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
I'd love for you to expand on "Dig deeper"?  At what exactly? 

He cannot reveal his secrets!!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »

The truth lies somewhere not in alignment with what you said. This is not a game they should have won 100 out of 100 times.

Anyway.. Texas Southern IS (not may be) a SWAC title contender. If you dispute that you are wrong.
Texas Southern does have a 5-star recruit and a Big Ten transfer.
Texas Southern does have a former Big Ten head coach.

I said they are not a typical SWAC team. Fully stand by that.

Chris + NBA

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
The truth lies somewhere not in alignment with what you said. This is not a game they should have won 100 out of 100 times.

Anyway.. Texas Southern IS (not may be) a SWAC title contender. If you dispute that you are wrong.

Chris + NBA

Thomas may have once been a 5-star recruit, in 2012.  Because of legal and academic troubles he went to JC.  He greatly underperformed there and no one would touch him.  He went to Marshall, and was mediocre at best, got into legal troubles again and had to transfer.  He has continued to be mediocre at best at Texas Southern.

Maybe he has the talent to turn it around, but history says he was over-rated or wasted his talent.  I can't see how any NBA team would gamble on a mediocre talent at the lowest levels of D1 basketball that is a known character/legal problem.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

Chris + NBA

Because of all that, TSU will contend for the SWAC. But this is a team that lost their last 3 by 91 points. Tough competition? Sure. But no tougher than MSU usually is. The Spartans lost because they aren't as good as they normally are. Tom Izzo hasn't lost a buy game since 2002. Maybe 100/100 is hyperbole, but barely.

Michigan State is down this year. They don't have the quality or experience they have typically had the past 15 years. They were overrated in the preseason and were overrated being in the top-25. They should be a tourney team, but they are more suited for the 9-12 seed lines than the top-4 they are accustomed to.

If this was a typical MSU team, they win this game. That's no disrespect to TSU, it's just that teams like that shouldn't lose to SWAC teams. Just like Marquette shouldn't lose to Omaha. These things happen, but the reason is more about the host than it is the buy opponent.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »

Chris + NBA

You've really got a hard on for these guys and most notably Thomas. Blowing your load all over gopher hole as well.

He isn't that good...

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
Because of all that, TSU will contend for the SWAC. But this is a team that lost their last 3 by 91 points. Tough competition? Sure. But no tougher than MSU usually is. The Spartans lost because they aren't as good as they normally are. Tom Izzo hasn't lost a buy game since 2002. Maybe 100/100 is hyperbole, but barely.

Michigan State is down this year. They don't have the quality or experience they have typically had the past 15 years. They were overrated in the preseason and were overrated being in the top-25. They should be a tourney team, but they are more suited for the 9-12 seed lines than the top-4 they are accustomed to.

If this was a typical MSU team, they win this game. That's no disrespect to TSU, it's just that teams like that shouldn't lose to SWAC teams. Just like Marquette shouldn't lose to Omaha. These things happen, but the reason is more about the host than it is the buy opponent.
I agree with this analysis, MSU is down this year .Still by any accounts losing to Texas Southern is unacceptable .

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2014/12/20/michigan-state-texas-southern/20699709/

It is almost worth a loss like this to get quotes like this from Izzo.   And all the players admitting culpability, as well as dreading what was to come in the Sunday practice. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »
For anyone who is intrigued by the Texas Southern talk, here is an article I found that is a good write up of the program.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/23/mike-davis-reloads-texas-southern-with-a-big-ten-transfer-and-former-five-star-prospect-chris-thomas-deverell-biggs/
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Seriously, they are 2-8. 

But they are a really skilled 2-8