[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Deonte Burton to Iowa State!  (Read 33344 times)

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: Deonte Burton to Iowa State!
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »
I guess it's wrong if you don't understand the transfer rules...

could we get the Burton transfer eligibility illustration posted at the top of the page every mid-season so we don't have to have these "when is he eligible and how may semesters he sits out" discussions EVERY year...

Thanks for spelling it out.  But, according to my math, he loses 2 semesters of court time by transferring mid season and playing 2nd semester next season (whether you call it eligibility or not).  At best, he could lose 1 semester, by sitting out 1.5 years.  Either way THAT IS WRONG!  It's that simple!  

It's wrong for Burton, it's wrong for Fischer, it's wrong for every player that transferred mid-season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
I can think of  a lot of reasons to go to UCLA.....and they are all blond, tan, and wear very little due to the warm weather!

And that is why he is going to Iowa State!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Burton only played in 8 games.  If I were him I would apply for a medical redshirt under the context of psychological illness, essentially depression and difficulty dealing with his mother's death.

I think we would all agree that he didn't appear like his usual self and it is completely understandable.  Even leaving the city would be rational as I'm sure some aspects of being around where he grew up brings back memories.

He's a good kid, if he applies for a waiver etc., I hope he gets it.
I am not sure what this would accomplish. He essentially would be redshirting this year and then have to sit out a full year for transferring. That would use three of five years to complete his eligibility, which he would have if he sat out all of next year anyways.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
I am not sure what this would accomplish. He essentially would be redshirting this year and then have to sit out a full year for transferring. That would use three of five years to complete his eligibility, which he would have if he sat out all of next year anyways.

He could get the NCAA to count this entire year as a redshirt year and thus full-fill the sitting out one year as a transfer.  I believe there have been similar cases in the past.  He would then be immediately eligible come next fall and have 3 years to play.

It would be tough, but possible.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
He could get the NCAA to count this entire year as a redshirt year and thus full-fill the sitting out one year as a transfer.  I believe there have been similar cases in the past.  He would then be immediately eligible come next fall and have 3 years to play.

It would be tough, but possible.

I think John Dawson has a much more solid case in that regard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

I think John Dawson has a much more solid case in that regard.

Playing time I agree, but unless I missed something I don't see how he relates it to a medial or psychological illness. Therefor Dawson's case would be very difficult.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »
Playing time I agree, but unless I missed something I don't see how he relates it to a medial or psychological illness. Therefor Dawson's case would be very difficult.

Burtons would be even more difficult.  His psychological illness would have to be season ending and incapacitating. 

Given that he played in the first 8 games, it would appear it was neither.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 04:18:30 PM »

Dawson could say reading Scoop made his head explode!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
I guess it's wrong if you don't understand the transfer rules...

could we get the Burton transfer eligibility illustration posted at the top of the page every mid-season so we don't have to have these "when is he eligible and how may semesters he sits out" discussions EVERY year...

If you read the thread, you would see everyone understands the transfer rules...

the discussion was about the fairness of a mid-year transfer getting to play 6 semesters on the norm, when a year-end transfer gets to play all 8 semesters on the norm. 

Personally, I don't think it is fair to the kid.  But, it's a moot point.  It's not going to change.  Merry Christmas.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
deonte to iowa state
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12058558/iowa-state-cyclones-land-marquette-golden-eagles-transfer-deonte-burton

i believe he will be a good fit.  always a strong competitive ream under hoiberg.  he will join jameel and have 1 1/2 years starting after next fall 1st semester unless the ncaa grants him a bereavement hardship.  i won't hold my breath on that one as the ncaa is kinda anal sometimes.  good luck deonte!  just made a pretty good team better
don't...don't don't don't don't

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: deonte to iowa state
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12058558/iowa-state-cyclones-land-marquette-golden-eagles-transfer-deonte-burton

i believe he will be a good fit.  always a strong competitive ream under hoiberg.  he will join jameel and have 1 1/2 years starting after next fall 1st semester unless the ncaa grants him a bereavement hardship.  i won't hold my breath on that one as the ncaa is kinda anal sometimes.  good luck deonte!  just made a pretty good team better

1) Presuming Hoiberg's still there.
2) I don't see the NCAA giving a bereavement hardship because he left Milwaukee.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: deonte to iowa state
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
the article states that deonte is applying for a waiver due to the passing of his mother...unless he can show them that her passing played a direct result in his drop in playing time and therefore his playing time was so minimal the 1st semester that it shouldn't even qualify as a committed semester...just throwing stuff out there.  regardless, i hope he gets enough time to show case himself, have fun and success
don't...don't don't don't don't

schuesst

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »
How does Wojo let a guy with real talent get away? We are left with stiffs who can't beat the worst team in the league.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
Got the horse to water. It's da drinkin' part he had trouble with, aina? Ain't no big thang. Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »
How does Wojo let a guy with real talent get away? We are left with stiffs who can't beat the worst team in the league.

Always fallout after a coaching change.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »

The players who wouldn't buy into Wojo's style of play left. Both sides will be better off in the long run. Best of luck to the players who left. Wojo has this program going in the right direction.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter