[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deonte Burton to Iowa State!  (Read 33446 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
Re: Deonte Burton to Iowa State!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »
Some clown Iowa St. fans on Twitter now saying since they got McKay and Burton that they'll end up with Henry next. Needed that laugh  ;D
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
What role do you think Wojo might play in any appeal Burton makes to the NCAA? Does he need to "testify" about the struggles that Burton's loss had on his ability to practice and play? Basically, does he need to support Burton's request? Any idea whether he would?

Until this, I've never heard about practice or playing being an issue  for him.  He played in every one of MU's games before his transfer.  And the amount he played sure seemed to be based solely on coaches decision.  Wojo mentioned nothing of the sort when he announced he was transferring, neither did Deonte.  And I find it truly impossible to believe if there was such an issue, Wojo would be that insensitive as to say nothing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:02:10 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
I wish him success.

Best of luck, Deonte. Hope Iowa State and a new start brings great things.
We Are Marquette

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »
Until this, I've never heard about practice or playing being an issue  for him.  He played in every one of MU's games before his transfer.  And the amount he played sure seemed to be based solely on coaches decision.  Wojo mentioned nothing of the sort when he announced he was transferring, neither did Deonte.  And I find it truly impossible to believe if there was such an issue, Wojo would be that insensitive as to say nothing.

That's sort of why I was wondering what Wojo might do. I agree with you that his playing time and participation seem to indicate that he was coping with his mother's death. I recall hearing that he missed some practice time (was it even before official practices began?). So, there is a sort of ethical question here: If Deonte tries to get some of his eligibility back, but Wojo doesn't necessarily support the argument that Deonte was so impacted, does Wojo endorse Deonte's request, or does he not?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
That's sort of why I was wondering what Wojo might do. I agree with you that his playing time and participation seem to indicate that he was coping with his mother's death. I recall hearing that he missed some practice time (was it even before official practices began?). So, there is a sort of ethical question here: If Deonte tries to get some of his eligibility back, but Wojo doesn't necessarily support the argument that Deonte was so impacted, does Wojo endorse Deonte's request, or does he not?

I don't think this is a real issue. It's solely up to the NCAA to decide.
We Are Marquette

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
I don't think this is a real issue. It's solely up to the NCAA to decide.

But does the NCAA contact the former school and coaches (MU and Wojo in this case) to gather information to make a decision? If so, wouldn't they ask if and how Deonte was impacted by his mother's death, in terms of missing practices and the like? And, if so, how might Wojo respond?

I don't mean to overly dwell on this, but I'm sincerely curious.

And, I also wish Deonte all the best, in b-ball and life.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:01:45 AM by mug644 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12058558/iowa-state-cyclones-land-marquette-golden-eagles-transfer-deonte-burton?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FYdM5zLErvu%22%7D

Saturday, December 20, 2014
Iowa State lands Deonte Burton
By Jeff Borzello
ESPN.com

Iowa State has struck again in the transfer market.

The Cyclones have landed a commitment from Marquette transfer Deonte Burton, sources told ESPN. Burton chose Iowa State over UCLA.

Burton, a 6-foot-4 forward, was averaging 6.1 points and 1.4 rebounds through nine games before deciding to leave school earlier this month. Because Iowa State has no scholarships this season, Burton will have to pay his own way for the spring semester.

He will become eligible after the first semester next season and will have one and a half years remaining. However, he will apply for a waiver to get this year back due to his mother passing away back in October.

Fred Hoiberg has brought in a number of transfers since taking over at Iowa State. UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones is second on the team in scoring, while Abdel Nader (Northern Illinois) is also contributing.

Another Marquette transfer, Jameel McKay, made his debut Saturday for the Cyclones. Hallice Cooke (Oregon State) is sitting out this season.

Look at all those transfers.

Seems squirmy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
To start at the beginning of next year rather than missing the start of the season. Currently he only has 1.5 years of eligibility. He's pleading the case about his mother, which the NCAA might be okay with since he missed a considerable amount of practice after the event.

I can't see the NCAA giving him a waiver, he played in games and practiced this year. I think he's reaching and will ultimately be turned down. More power to him if it goes through. I find it more interesting that he's supposedly going to pay his own way for the rest of the year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Filing waivers with the NCAA is pretty routine these days.  They are really inconsistent in their application so there is really nothing to lose.  McKay applied for one.  Fischer contemplated it but ultimately decided not to.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
I can't see the NCAA giving him a waiver, he played in games and practiced this year. I think he's reaching and will ultimately be turned down. More power to him if it goes through. I find it more interesting that he's supposedly going to pay his own way for the rest of the year.

Seems that Dawson has a better argument for a waiver, he played 4 minutes in the first game and never again.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
Filing waivers with the NCAA is pretty routine these days.  They are really inconsistent in their application so there is really nothing to lose.  McKay applied for one.  Fischer contemplated it but ultimately decided not to.

I would think Fischer's case for a waiver would be every bit as strong as Deonte's, as he moved CLOSER to home to combat homesickness and escape from a toxic situation at IU.

I don't see the grounds for the NCAA to approve Burton's waiver.  Normally they are granted for moving CLOSER to an ill relative, not FURTHER from the area where a relative has passed.  Anyway, I hope he gets it and finds happiness.

For the life of me I don't understand the transfer rule anyway.  If you transfer after the year, you lose NO eligibility after sitting out 1 year.  As you still have 5 years to play 4.  But, if you transfer mid year and play the following year at the end of first semester, you essentially lose a full year of eligibility.  First semester of last year + Second semester of this year should = 1 year of eligibility, not 2.  Makes no sense to me and never will!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
I would think Fischer's case for a waiver would be every bit as strong as Deonte's, as he moved CLOSER to home to combat homesickness and escape from a toxic situation at IU.

I don't see the grounds for the NCAA to approve Burton's waiver.  Normally they are granted for moving CLOSER to an ill relative, not FURTHER from the area where a relative has passed.  Anyway, I hope he gets it and finds happiness.

For the life of me I don't understand the transfer rule anyway.  If you transfer after the year, you lose NO eligibility after sitting out 1 year.  As you still have 5 years to play 4.  But, if you transfer mid year and play the following year at the end of first semester, you essentially lose a full year of eligibility.  First semester of last year + Second semester of this year should = 1 year of eligibility, not 2.  Makes no sense to me and never will!Also, the NCAA now does not allow immediate eligibility for "hardship" transfers:

www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/ncaa_says_no_more_immediate-el.html

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:53:53 AM by Nukem2 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »

I root for all transfers like these to get waivers, including Burton and Dawson.

The system is already rigged against "student-athletes," so any time any of them can wring any concessions from the system, I'm all for it.

One thing we know is that coaches, athletic directors, university presidents, conference commissioners and NCAA honchos don't need "waivers" to bolt from one job to another pretty much whenever they want to. Even multi-year, multi-million-dollar contracts are meaningless, and they never have to sit out a year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
To start at the beginning of next year rather than missing the start of the season. Currently he only has 1.5 years of eligibility. He's pleading the case about his mother, which the NCAA might be okay with since he missed a considerable amount of practice after the event.
I like Hoiberg, but I cannot help thinking that he is making promisses he can't succeed in. He appealed McKay having to sit out first semester.  It makes me think he is telling players he will get them the year back by appealing. I could see the appeal working, if Burton never played, but he was playing enough to average 6 points.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »

I don't see the grounds for the NCAA to approve Burton's waiver.  Normally they are granted for moving CLOSER to an ill relative, not FURTHER from the area where a relative has passed.  Anyway, I hope he gets it and finds happiness.

For the life of me I don't understand the transfer rule anyway.  If you transfer after the year, you lose NO eligibility after sitting out 1 year.  As you still have 5 years to play 4.  But, if you transfer mid year and play the following year at the end of first semester, you essentially lose a full year of eligibility.  First semester of last year + Second semester of this year should = 1 year of eligibility, not 2.  Makes no sense to me and never will!

It's very simple. Eligibility and redshirts aren't split between years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
I root for all transfers like these to get waivers, including Burton and Dawson.

The system is already rigged against "student-athletes," so any time any of them can wring any concessions from the system, I'm all for it.

One thing we know is that coaches, athletic directors, university presidents, conference commissioners and NCAA honchos don't need "waivers" to bolt from one job to another pretty much whenever they want to. Even multi-year, multi-million-dollar contracts are meaningless, and they never have to sit out a year.

My rule would be that all players get one "free" transfer without sitting. The second requires you sit a year with no exceptions.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
Look at all those transfers.

Seems squirmy!

Any canine regurgitation?

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
My rule would be that all players get one "free" transfer without sitting. The second requires you sit a year with no exceptions.
Nah.  Tampering becomes a huge issue.  And, those " advisors" become an even biggerproblem

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

I feel we would see a lot of teams take the Iowa State approach. The top teams would still go after the 5 stars, but I feel teams will recruit the mid-majors and lower high-majors pretty hard. Kind of how Buzz used Jucos. They were further in development and experience, so they were more ready to compete right away.

Although, I don't really have an alternative to suggest. Every scenario has some negatives.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
Deonte who?

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
I feel we would see a lot of teams take the Iowa State approach. The top teams would still go after the 5 stars, but I feel teams will recruit the mid-majors and lower high-majors pretty hard. Kind of how Buzz used Jucos. They were further in development and experience, so they were more ready to compete right away.

Although, I don't really have an alternative to suggest. Every scenario has some negatives.

You could curb that a bit with a usage rule based on minutes played. Any player that played under "x" minutes per game is free to play right away. No reason Dawson should have to sit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
Nah.  Tampering becomes a huge issue.  And, those " advisors" become an even biggerproblem

I really don't care about either of these issues.  Kids should be able to play immediately. (I wouldn't allow mid-year transfers to be immediately eligible however.)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Deonte applying for waiver makes the story make a little more sense for me. I am sure someone told him that he could get a waiver for sure, so transferring now was in his best interest.

I hope that advice doesn't bite him in the ass.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 04:38:25 PM »

I really don't care about either of these issues.  Kids should be able to play immediately. (I wouldn't allow mid-year transfers to be immediately eligible however.)
The tampering issue is obviously why the one year rule is there in the first place as voted on by the schools years ago.  Otherwise the inmates would be running the asylum.  As long as everybody knows the rule ahead of time, all is fair with allowable exceptions for unusual circumstances (which the NCAA has been granting and/or most schools are accommodating for).

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

For the life of me I don't understand the transfer rule anyway.  If you transfer after the year, you lose NO eligibility after sitting out 1 year.  As you still have 5 years to play 4.  But, if you transfer mid year and play the following year at the end of first semester, you essentially lose a full year of eligibility.  First semester of last year + Second semester of this year should = 1 year of eligibility, not 2.  Makes no sense to me and never will!

Burton doesn't "lose" a year of eligibility.  He only has four, and he's using them all.  Its his choice not to use them in the most efficient manner.  

Look at how he uses his eligibilty:

2013-14:  Eligible at MU
2014-15:  Eligible at MU (by virtue of playing 1st semester)
2015-16:  Eligible at ISU (by virtue of playing 2nd semester)
2016-17:  Eligible at ISU
Four seasons of eligibility used--zero lost.

If he wanted to have more playing time at ISU, he could have done this:
2013-14:  Uses Eligible year at MU
2014-15:  Uses Eligible year at MU (by virtue of playing 1st semester)
2015-16:  Sits out full season
2016-17:  Uses Eligible at ISU (Plays full year)
2017-18:  Uses Eligible at ISU (Plays full year)

This approach also uses his four years of eligibility, but spreads it across five years, which maximizes his playing time.