Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Al as a setting for a game?  (Read 15391 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: The Al as a setting for a game?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
I enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two at a basketball game.    The on campus arena environment would be pretty boring/grumpy with no alcohol and plenty of snobs.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
Not going to hijack the thread... the comment was written here in jest.  If you want to talk about it, my feelings on the matter have been written about the "Arena" thread; feel free to resurrect if you'd like to discuss further.

Sorry I didn't know you were joking.

As for the Al, it was fine novelty one time, but nothing unique or special.  Many other teams have similar small gyms that they proport to be special and really aren't.  UWM tried and failed with this experiment and now are back at Mecca/US Cellular/Panther arena.  Playing in a NBA arena is a huge plus in terms of amenities and experience, even if that arena is the worst of its kind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
We enjoyed ourselves.  Clearly the Al isn't a place that MU should/could regularly play at.  But it made the experience unique against a lesser buy opponent.  There was some energy in the building and I can imagine that it would have been great for a more competitive game.  What I particularly enjoyed was the easy ability to make a campus evening of it.  Began the night at Chili, ended the night at Caf's.  All good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Not to burst all the AL love but this change did not impact my experience one bit as a television viewer. Also when the BC is packed with 18k it is awesome. Why would we want to play in a popcorn stand when we can get the revenue from an NBA arena?

The BC rarely has 18,000 and otherwise it is cavernous.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »

But when it does have 18,000 it's amazing. See #1Uconn Vs Marquette 2008(?)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
But when it does have 18,000 it's amazing. See #1Uconn Vs Marquette 2008(?)

I would rather have a smaller, more intimate arena that can be amazing on a more regular basis.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »

I would rather have a smaller, more intimate arena that can be amazing on a more regular basis.

We average like 15k fans.  I know the BC is not an ideal facility to watch bball but it's not like we need that much smaller of a facility.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
We average like 15k fans.  I know the BC is not an ideal facility to watch bball but it's not like we need that much smaller of a facility.

I suppose we could double ticket prices to decrease demand without lowering revenue.
Have some patience, FFS.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »
Nice little venue. Still...a bit peeved. I paid more for a seat at the Al than at the Bradley Center and it was "backless"....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »

I think we get a bit spoiled. I bring a lot of different friends/family to games and they are amazed at the game setting from the Jumbotron, students, band, food, surrounding area from pre/post game. Even during cupcakes. They absolutely love the environment. The Allstate is "cavernous". 

That said, what you and others are saying is that MU can do more to make the game day experience better and more intimate (besides the Kiss Cam) which would improve it for the regulars. Also think a new arena would offer a lot more options for this.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
Mu only complaint would be the Annex.  We first went to Sobelmann's which was predictably packed.  Then we tried The Annex.  It was half full so we were in luck.  Turns out they still had a 30 minute wait because they only had 2 servers.  There were 3,000 people coming to campus who does their scheduling?  So we ended up next door at Jimmy John who had 8 people working.

Heg's, Louie D's and Gyros all would have been good places to take the kids.  I have come to accept that MU feels the need to tear everything down but at least put systems in place to manage what you do have. 

And before you all go there...but for the 2 year old we would have hit Chili.  In fact my 6 year old and I almost peeled off and did that.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
I don't think Marquette averages any where near 15k this year.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
The low pitch in the lower seats in the BC cause for major bigg niggin obstruction in front of most seats.  Sitting in comparable seats in the AL provides a significant improvement in experience.  

The new venue will accommodate basketball viewing, I'm sure.

The Al was great!  Sorry most of you missed it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
I don't think Marquette averages any where near 15k this year.

BIS (butts in seats), no.  Tickets sales, probably.  [The NCAA gathers/reports the latter.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »
I predict ticket sales will not hit a 15K average this year...

BIS (butts in seats), no.  Tickets sales, probably.  [The NCAA gathers/reports the latter.]

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
I expected a loud crowd. I thought the atmosphere was disappointing, but the game was so boring all do not know how it could of had good atmosphere.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »

Are Tickets Sales & Tickets Issued counted the same?  I read in Crain's Report some are given to grade school, charities, etc.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

Are Tickets Sales & Tickets Issued counted the same?  I read in Crain's Report some are given to grade school, charities, etc.

I believe only actual sales are counted in the official tally by the NCAA.  Tickets that are given away, donated, etc. by the university do not contribute to attendance figures.

Keep in mind that a good portion of the tickets that are donated to charities, grade schools, etc. were actually purchased by someone and then returned to the university to give away, so in that case, they would be counted.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
I believe only actual sales are counted in the official tally by the NCAA.  Tickets that are given away, donated, etc. by the university do not contribute to attendance figures.

Keep in mind that a good portion of the tickets that are donated to charities, grade schools, etc. were actually purchased by someone and then returned to the university to give away, so in that case, they would be counted.

Thanks, I was curious because the article I read was in regards to DePaul and their numbers for the last several years.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »
Venue doesn't matter, play to your standard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two at a basketball game.    The on campus arena environment would be pretty boring/grumpy with no alcohol and plenty of snobs.

Yes, because the campus arena environments at Duke, Storrs, Hinkle, the Palestra, etc., are infamously boring and grumpy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback