[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Al as a setting for a game?  (Read 15393 times)

mug644

• All American
The Al as a setting for a game?
« on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »
This photo gives an idea, but I'd love to hear from folks that were there about how it was having a regular season game at the Al.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=400588376&photoId=4375835

Benny B

• All American
Re: The Al as a setting for a game?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
I understand all the cons of it being a late start on a Friday the weekend before Christmas during break against the cuppiest cupcake in the bakery at surge pricing, but I was quite disappointed in the turnout.  There's no reason we shouldn't have packed the house.  That said, my wife and I had awesome seats as a result of the low turnout from the sweater vests, and the environment was awesome.

Actually this was perfect for us since the in-laws are already in town for the holidays (read: babysitting) and we scored a room at the Badassador Hotel for $62 off Priceline (advertised special, not name your own). But I digress...

Basketball is a game best enjoyed up close and personal in contrast to all of the other major sports where the best seats are a certain distance and elevation from the field/rink.  I know I sound like a broken record, but there is no amount of amenities that can make any arena able to host the Shrine Circus or Monster Jam a great place to watch basketball.

The pre- and post- game was also much better being on campus.  I've been to various other campus sites for football and basketball games, and that's the one thing I will admittedly say where MU is a second class citizen is the game day experience.  Sure, it's nice to play in an NBA arena, but part of the lasting allure of college sports is the reliving the memory of being a carefree (relatively speaking... that's right kids, it doesn't get any easier) college student again, and not being on campus definitely takes something away from that.

I really wish the Al were just a touch bigger so that we could do this for one or two games a year, or even a conference matchup once in a while, but that would have required us not falling flat on your face in the Final Four.  I love MU basketball, I take a lot of pride in our program, but there's a missing piece that I can't help but wish was there.

All said... I loved it and would do it again without hesitation.

How did it look on TV?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 08:08:29 AM »
It looked great on television.  I would rather Marquette have a 10,000 seat on campus arena than be a tenant in an NBA arena for the reasons you bring up.  Not going to happen though.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:18:04 AM »
It looked great on television.  I would rather Marquette have a 10,000 seat on campus arena than be a tenant in an NBA arena for the reasons you bring up.  Not going to happen though.

I'm still holding out hope that Lasry and Edens will do the right thing and move the Bucks to Seattle...
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
My dream is for fox sports to do a 1 and 1 on campus special versus nova. This would make it fair as each away team has the same disadvantage, it would make it a big game allowing for the higher price, and hopefully fox sports would pitch in for lost revenue from smaller attendance. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »
I'm still holding out hope that Lasry and Edens will do the right thing and move the Bucks to Seattle...

And how would that help marquette, milwaukee or them?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:57 AM »
Not to burst all the AL love but this change did not impact my experience one bit as a television viewer. Also when the BC is packed with 18k it is awesome. Why would we want to play in a popcorn stand when we can get the revenue from an NBA arena?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Wasn't able to go last night, but I think it'd be nice to do one or two of the buy games there over Christmas break.

IMHO the key would be to handle the ticket sales differently.  Instead of making it a separate purchase, maybe play two buy games there, and randomly assign each season ticket account to go to one of them.  Give them two tix regardless of the number they normally have, and build the cost into the package.  I'd bet the numbers come pretty close to getting each account two seats, with enough left for students around over break.

Sure beats making every season ticket holder sit through a preseason game that doesn't even count at the BC.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »

The ignorance of this comment is off the charts.  So if the Bucks don't get a new arena, where do you propose MU play?  Where is the money for a 10,000 seat, on-campus auditorium coming from, over what time period?

You may hate the Bucks and the NBA, but having the luxury of playing in their arena/s, has been huge for MU.

On TV, the Al looked no different than any other small gym you see for various regional schools.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
And how would that help marquette, milwaukee or them?

It wouldn't. I think he's trying to be funny...or something.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:24 AM »
Also, the current owners can't move the team.  If they don't get a new arena, the team goes back to the league and the owners get their money back and can not repurchase after relocation.

There is not a scenario where Lasry and Edens own the Bucks in Seattle as per terms of the agreement they made with Sen. Kohl.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
I don't have problem w/ 1 game there, but the BC/ bigger venue is much better..But I was disappointed with our seats. We are men and women season Tix holder w/ great seats in the BC lower bowl, sect 204.  We sent in our request for tix for the game.  We also wanted lower sect seats with seatbacks.. We got our tix behind the MU bench, approx 9 rows up.  Just b4 the game started, we saw a WHOLE HS BB team, from ILL, get seats from row 1 thru like 6. I don't think they paid the same $$ we did.  There were plenty of seats open higher up. I think more Season tix holders should have got those "prime" seats.  OK Im done w/ my rant... 8-)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
It reminded me of going to a Northwestern game in Evanston.. or DePaul at Alumni Hall.  I saw most of my 'sweater vest' contemporaries there and a couple of students.  It was pretty much a cross section of the crowds at the BC, but I wasn't in the bleachers.  In some ways it had the proximity to the court that I always recall was the case at the Arena-although that is through rose colored memories.  Liked it, I'd do it again-not just because the true fan always supports his team but it was great getting the 'small venue, high school gym' feel again. 
Reminded me of the MU alumni games at MUHS.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
I don't have problem w/ 1 game there, but the BC/ bigger venue is much better..But I was disappointed with our seats. We are men and women season Tix holder w/ great seats in the BC lower bowl, sect 204.  We sent in our request for tix for the game.  We also wanted lower sect seats with seatbacks.. We got our tix behind the MU bench, approx 9 rows up.  Just b4 the game started, we saw a WHOLE HS BB team, from ILL, get seats from row 1 thru like 6. I don't think they paid the same $$ we did.  There were plenty of seats open higher up. I think more Season tix holders should have got those "prime" seats.  OK Im done w/ my rant... 8-)

I remember seeing the team you're talking about.  Those exact same seats behind the AAMU bench were empty, so it might be an NCAA requirement to have seats reserved behind the bench for both teams, and that's how Marquette spent the bunch on their side.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
Brewtown.. I don't have a prob w/ them getting tix. But these were $40 ea.. THEY could have been in the upper part.  I think those were $10 and still a good view... Doing it this way, I think they did a disservice to TRUE MU fans and season tix holders.  I will call the office Mon and complain.. 8-)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Quote from: Mak=topic=45782.msg679694#msg679694 date=1419087537
The ignorance of this comment is off the charts.  So if the Bucks don't get a new arena, where do you propose MU play?  Where is the money for a 10,000 seat, on-campus auditorium coming from, over what time period?

You may hate the Bucks and the NBA, but having the luxury of playing in their arena/s, has been huge for MU.

On TV, the Al looked no different than any other small gym you see for various regional schools.
Not going to hijack the thread... the comment was written here in jest.  If you want to talk about it, my feelings on the matter have been written about the "Arena" thread; feel free to resurrect if you'd like to discuss further.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »
Back to the original question.   I was at the game and did not enjoy the Al.   It reminded me of being at a game Welsh Ryan arena.   Had a JV feel to it.   Also, I like beer with my basketball. 

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
The pre- and post- game was also much better being on campus.  I've been to various other campus sites for football and basketball games, and that's the one thing I will admittedly say where MU is a second class citizen is the game day experience.  Sure, it's nice to play in an NBA arena, but part of the lasting allure of college sports is the reliving the memory of being a carefree (relatively speaking... that's right kids, it doesn't get any easier) college student again, and not being on campus definitely takes something away from that.

I could not disagree with this more.  I think the MU game day experience is fantastic with all the bars/restaurants around the BC.  To me, it's the perfect hybrid of a college/pro environment, and it's a nice reflection of MU.  We're not a stereotypical campus setting with open space, we're a gritty urban campus, and the area around the BC is a nice reflection of that.  I'll take our game day experience over anywhere else I've ever been.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
There was no beer! We cannot even talk about this further.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
I could not disagree with this more.  I think the MU game day experience is fantastic with all the bars/restaurants around the BC.  To me, it's the perfect hybrid of a college/pro environment, and it's a nice reflection of MU.  We're not a stereotypical campus setting with open space, we're a gritty urban campus, and the area around the BC is a nice reflection of that.  I'll take our game day experience over anywhere else I've ever been.
Totally agree.  Besides, The Al makes zero sense financially and no decent teams would play there. Should not schedule games there in the future.  Now, if MU were to play in the NIT or other post-season event, The Al would be a far better game environment than a mostly empty BC.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
Brewtown.. I don't have a prob w/ them getting tix. But these were $40 ea.. THEY could have been in the upper part.  I think those were $10 and still a good view... Doing it this way, I think they did a disservice to TRUE MU fans and season tix holders.  I will call the office Mon and complain.. 8-)

So you're complaining because HS kids got a nice experience and you're out a whole $40. Merry Christmas to you too

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
So you're complaining because HS kids got a nice experience and you're out a whole $40. Merry Christmas to you too

Haha, I had the same thought. And he going to call to complain! Some student in the call center is going to have to awkwardly apologize and assure him that *if* there is ever another game at the Al, Marquette will reevaluate how the tickets are handled. Also, have you ever actually sat directly behind a bench? Those boys are tall and you can't exactly ask them to sit down.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Also, the current owners can't move the team.  If they don't get a new arena, the team goes back to the league and the owners get their money back and can not repurchase after relocation.

There is not a scenario where Lasry and Edens own the Bucks in Seattle as per terms of the agreement they made with Sen. Kohl.

Yea, a lot like the provision Howie had with the Okies from Muskogee not to move the Sonics to Bumunnatural carnal knowledge...

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Not complaining about the $40  but...   Marquette would have been way better if at first they offered tickets for $25 and all you could buy versus trying to make them appear "desirable" by limiting them to 2 and $40...

they lost a lot of people with that tactic...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »

the jesuit thing to do would be b!tch about kids getting too good of tickets.  if you want to take the time to complain about something, i could list 100 things more important. 

feedback