'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Juan is now the master  (Read 11674 times)

sgurgs

• Walk-On
Juan is now the master
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:57:05 AM »
Juan to Rosiak:

"I don't mean this in the wrong way, but it's easy to be confident when you know you're going to play and you're going to be able to play through mistakes," Anderson said. "Obviously, we only have eight players. I like the fact that Wojo trusts me enough to let me play through mistakes.  It's easy to build confidence and not clam up in go in the shell when you make mistakes."

-------------------------

Two things to love about this post:

1) The not-so-subtle swipe at Buzz.
2) The fact that he used a Buzzism to do it.  How many times did Buzz qualify sentences with "I don't mean this the wrong way?" 

Looks like they did learn a thing or two over the past few years.

tower912

• All American
Re: Juan is now the master
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
In his other years, if he made mistakes, Jamil, Davante, Chris, Todd, Vander, Deonte, Steve would come in.   The other teams he has played on were all deeper.   And many here last year were complaining about the minutes he DID get.  This year, if he gets thrown, he has to get back into the saddle.    There is no plan B.   He is flourishing.   But does this mean that he should have gotten MORE minutes in previous seasons?  I want to hear someone actually make that argument in a serious fashion and not in some snide aside. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »
In his other years, if he made mistakes, Jamil, Davante, Chris, Todd, Vander, Deonte, Steve would come in.   The other teams he has played on were all deeper.   And many here last year were complaining about the minutes he DID get.  This year, if he gets thrown, he has to get back into the saddle.    There is no plan B.   He is flourishing.   But does this mean that he should have gotten MORE minutes in previous seasons?  I want to hear someone actually make that argument in a serious fashion and not in some snide aside. 

Catch 22 ... Juan is suggesting if he was allowed too play through his mistakes in previous years he would have been in better player.  But given how deep some of his previous teams were, why would you sit any of the guys above to let some underclassman time to figure it out?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but things have come together very well for Juan this year. Glad things have worked out well for him in the end (nh). Lots of hard work and progression to get where he is today. Happy he's at MU.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but developing a player can be done in a number of different ways.  Many times the talents needed to recruit an athlete are not the same ones needed to develop their skills.  BW had much more success with jucos than taking a player out of high school and grooming him.  I think Vander Blue is an example.  He came to Marquette with unique athletic ability and BW instilled toughness and he received solid work in the weight room.  He also needed better skill set development and basketball IQ.  I think Wojo would have done better on those aspects.  We'll never know but my guess is the skills would have come quicker and he would be further on in his career.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »
I don't mean this the wrong way, but there is a long history in college basketball of young players getting frustrated early on and then blooming in their Junior and Senior years. Cohen has a very short leash this year. If he is tough enough to stick it out I imagine he will be forgiven a lot more in two and three years. Anderson is a bit of an oddity in that he did not have early success and waited his turn. Now it is here so good for him. Go for it Juan!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
2015 Meme Tourney Watchlist

I don't mean this the wrong way.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
2015 Meme Tourney Watchlist

I don't mean this the wrong way.

I don't mean this the wrong way, but relax. Respect the Process.
Relax. Respect the Process.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
In his other years, if he made mistakes, Jamil, Davante, Chris, Todd, Vander, Deonte, Steve would come in.   The other teams he has played on were all deeper.   And many here last year were complaining about the minutes he DID get.  This year, if he gets thrown, he has to get back into the saddle.    There is no plan B.   He is flourishing.   But does this mean that he should have gotten MORE minutes in previous seasons?  I want to hear someone actually make that argument in a serious fashion and not in some snide aside.  

Excatly spot on Tower.  I'm very happy Juan is playing well this year, but for him to take a jab about his minutes in his prior years is showing an utter lack of humility and honesty about his own play.  There's a reason he started looking to transfer and found tepid interest, especially at the high major level.    Enjoy your success and shut up already, no one who watched you prior to this season is buying how unfairly you were treated.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:34:30 PM by HutchwasClutch »

brandx

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
Catch 22 ... Juan is suggesting if he was allowed too play through his mistakes in previous years he would have been in better player.  But given how deep some of his previous teams were, why would you sit any of the guys above to let some underclassman time to figure it out?

They were above .500 last year thanks only to the cupcakes. Juan played defense, rebounded and hustled on the floor more than Gardner, Otule, and Jamil. May have shoot just as well, too, if he weren't afraid to be pulled for every missed shot.

Juan is the first to create the legacy for the Wojo years with his style of play.

DiehardMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Excatly spot on Tower.  I'm very happy Juan is playing well this year, but for him to take a jab about his minutes in his prior years is showing an utter lack of humility and honesty about his own play.  There's a reason he started looking to transfer and found tepid interest, especially at the high major level.    Enjoy your success and shut up already, no one who watched you prior to this season is buying how unfairly you were treated.

Geez... Rosiak asked him a question and he answered.  We are inferring a jab at Buzz, he didn't come out and say it.  He said with only 8 guys you get to play through mistakes (because there are no other options), but also that Wojo is trusting him.

Have a beverage.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 04:04:49 AM »
Great comment by Juan Anderson.

That is absolutely true. Good coaching will recognize who needs to be able to do that [play through mistakes] and not hurt your team while they are on the floor when you do allow them some leeway.

Juan would always hustle give high energy and play hard so you can always work with that.

Now in fairness to coaches there is a difference between repeated mistakes, mental mistakes, and physical or constant execution mistakes I know...

You have a job to do too. But it is all about leverage and power tripping most of the time. Playing or lack thereof is a powerful weapon.

Some can be seem more severe then others and some of those just cannot be overlooked if they are repetitive. . . for very long.

In my estimation Deonte Burton needed the opportunity to "play through mistakes" too...more so than anyone else on the entire team.

And John Dawson simply never got the  change to make mistakes at all.

Mistakes can be a learning tool as well for good and bad and for better and for worse. Good job Juan...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:14:25 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 04:25:43 AM »
What? You shut up...lol. What kind of crap is that?

Don't tell him to shut up when he is being real. He did not say anything out of order.

What is your problem!?  

What he said was truthful. People who don't play basketball at his level  stop critiquing what he said! You need to play through stuff.

What is wrong with that? What he said was truthful and honest! From what I have seen, he played hard and some players you have to let it play out if you believe in them. If you don't and you show it by a quick hook and I impatience as a coach, why shouldn't he have looked to get  a spot somewhere else?

I thought he got a quick hook under Buzz and not enough plays that were called for him early on so he could adjust to the college pace with his shot and get confidence in that area of his game.

Now in hindsight there are two players that he played with who played his position and are now starring in the NBA in those early years like [Butler and Crowder and DJO] so maybe Buzz was right.

But I would not have played Trent Lockett over him but Buzz might have thought he had to.

And then if there were favorites or guys who were not working as hard in practice who played more in games and he thought he should have been in there more...what is wrong with that?

But don't chastise him for making a statement like this. Playing time does matter.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 04:27:25 AM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but things have come together very well for Juan this year. Glad things have worked out well for him in the end (nh). Lots of hard work and progression to get where he is today. Happy he's at MU.
ABSOLUTELY.

I AM AS WELL!

Class71

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
I said it was a confidence issue with Juan last year and this confirms it. It should be no surprise that some folks get angry and fight hard when someone basically tells them they can not get it done. (i.e. Butler, Crowder, etc.). Then there are others who take it to heart and fail. Some coaches simply do not understand what motivates one person demotivates another. Top coaches can pick out the different personalities and change their approach. I will let you decide if Buzz is capable to adapt to the differences in people. Hint, take a look as to how Buzz is handling VT's problems.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
I said it was a confidence issue with Juan last year and this confirms it. It should be no surprise that some folks get angry and fight hard when someone basically tells them they can not get it done. (i.e. Butler, Crowder, etc.). Then there are others who take it to heart and fail. Some coaches simply do not understand what motivates one person demotivates another. Top coaches can pick out the different personalities and change their approach. I will let you decide if Buzz is capable to adapt to the differences in people. Hint, take a look as to how Buzz is handling VT's problems.

Arguably the best high school coach ever, in any sport, is York HS (Elmhurst IL) cross country head coach Joe Newton.  He's been their 52 years (yes, since 1962!)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Newton_%28coach%29

He has a reputation of being so tough he could make Bobby Knight blush.  But he also said that reputation is misplaced.

He argues that the secret to his success is to know which players (or runners in his case) need a kick in ass and which players need a hug and give them what they need.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »
Arguably the best high school coach ever, in any sport, is York HS (Elmhurst IL) cross country head coach Joe Newton.  He's been their 52 years (yes, since 1962!)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Newton_%28coach%29

He has a reputation of being so tough he could make Bobby Knight blush.  But he also said that reputation is misplaced.

He argues that the secret to his success is to know which players (or runners in his case) need a kick in ass and which players need a hug and give them what they need.

Yes, but it's a very inexact science.  And even the great coaches can't figure out every single player. 

Wojo said it himself not long ago, as a player, he always felt the burden was on him to prove he had earned/deserved playing time (paraphrasing, but that was definitely the gist of what he said).

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

In my estimation Deonte Burton needed the opportunity to "play through mistakes" too...more so than anyone else on the entire team.

Why more so than anyone else?  Because he's local?  Because his Mom died recently?  This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. Give it up.

Now in hindsight there are two players that he played with who played his position and are now starring in the NBA in those early years like [Butler and Crowder and DJO] so maybe Buzz was right.

But I would not have played Trent Lockett over him but Buzz might have thought he had to.

Trent was a huge reason they got to the Elite 8. And two players?  You list 3.  Maybe you shouldn't post at 4 am. You're not at your best.  Though I'm not sure you have a best.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »

That is one bad basketball thought.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
I think there is a bit of a difference between giving a guy major minutes and letting him play through a mistake.

Juan wasn't one of our better players his first two seasons to be sure. He didn't deserve more minutes. Last year, one could argue that given our lack of success, it would have been worth a shot to try something else; I have made that argument and I still think it's viable, but others have disagreed and I respect those opinions.

That all pertains to minutes.

As for mistakes ...

I don't see how it teaches much to put a kid in, watch him make one mistake, pull him immediately and then not play him again all game. Much better would be to see if he can play through the one mistake and then, if he makes it again, pull him, explain the reasons he was taken out, and then give him another chance later on.

Wojo did exactly that recently -- and not with a kid but with Derrick, his "pet." On consecutive possessions, Derrick failed to feed the post even though Luke had fought for good position. So Wojo pulled Derrick, left him on the bench for several minutes, but did put him back in after talking to him. On his very first possession after re-entering the game, Derrick looked for Luke and made a nice pass to him.

THAT is coaching, and Wojo has done it many times this season.

Now, I will admit it is easier to coach like that with an 8-deep team as opposed to a 12-deep team. Still, Buzz certainly did have opportunities to do similar coaching but all too often chose to use his doghouse as if it were a gulag.

Just my opinion, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
Talked to one of Juans best friends, said he lost his confidence as a player, as it was obvious he was bad most of the last 3 years.  It was either him or Buzz not getting the best out of
him, never liked how Buzz played him, he had a 3 minute window then was taken out for the rest of the game last year, that has to get into a kids head.  I can see why he wanted to transfer
but nobody wanted him, why would they?  He is definitely improved but I think having another 20 lbs on him makes a difference between his senior year and freshman year, reminds me of
Sandy Cohen, real skinny, needs 20 more pounds as well.  Sandy has a better outside shot then Juan.  I expect Sandy will be much improved by his senior year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
I can see why he wanted to transfer but nobody wanted him, why would they? 

That is not why he was looking to transfer.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
Please share what his reason for transferring was.  Family/home issues?  Thanks.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
Please share what his reason for transferring was.  Family/home issues?  Thanks.

Family illness was the reason he considered transferring.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »
I thought Juan demonstrated a base set of skills over the last 3 years. Unfortunately they were not applied at the same time or consistently. He looked nervous on the court as a result. I think his own lack of confidence may have contributed to the coaches lack of confidence.  This is the first year he has applied the skills all at the same time and on a consistent basis. Net result is that he has blossomed and is now realizing on his full potential as a player . I believe if he keeps up this pace over the course of the year, we are going to perform well as a team .

Now he just has to explain his formula for success to STjr........