[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University named Loser of the Week  (Read 7133 times)

KipsBayEagle

Marquette University named Loser of the Week
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
According to a segment on Special Report with Bret Baier.  The editor of The Weekly Standard called Marquette University the loser of the week for suspending a professor critical of a teaching assistant's decision to not allow discussion of gay marriage in her philosophy class because it may be perceived as homophobic.  This has been discussed ad nauseum but it is interesting to see that this story is now getting national attention.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: Marquette University named Loser of the Week
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »
Coming from Fox News, I'll take that as a good thing.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »

Oh boy how long did it take you to think up something so clever? I bet you say back in your chair and though "good job, bro. I'm so good at this". ... Fuçkwit

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »

dude-like them or not(in your case, not) they are the highest rated cable news station for like-ever.  so lots of people saw this-comprende?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
dude-like them or not(in your case, not) they are the highest rated cable news station for like-ever.  so lots of people saw this-comprende?

So a couple of hayseeds might now have heard of Marquette.

Don't worry, they'll have forgotten about it by the time Honey - boo-boo is over.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »
Admissions taking a big hit.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
Oh boy how long did it take you to think up something so clever? I bet you say back in your chair and though "good job, bro. I'm so good at this". ... Fuçkwit

I'm glad to see you have a basic comprehension of the English language.. or is that the Zima talking?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 06:10:07 AM »
According to a segment on Special Report with Bret Baier.  The editor of The Weekly Standard called Marquette University the loser of the week for suspending a professor critical of a teaching assistant's decision to not allow discussion of gay marriage in her philosophy class because it may be perceived as homophobic.  This has been discussed ad nauseum but it is interesting to see that this story is now getting national attention.

This is the first time I have ever heard that the Weekly Standard hands out a "loser of a week."  So I don't think this is something that is all that serious.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
The weekly standard editor that said that was Steve Hayes.  He grew up in Wauwatosa and went to Depauw in Indiana (and the Columbia journalism school).

I wonder if he has family/friends that went to MU that turned him on to the story.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »
The weekly standard editor that said that was Steve Hayes.  He grew up in Wauwatosa and went to Depauw in Indiana (and the Columbia journalism school).

I wonder if he has family/friends that went to MU that turned him on to the story.
Probably read it on Scoop. Now it's a national story.  Scoop has long arms.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
So a couple of hayseeds might now have heard of Marquette.

Don't worry, they'll have forgotten about it by the time Honey - boo-boo is over.
Hayseeds?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Hayseeds?

weak attempt to downplay the bad pr marquette is getting from this story.  so if you watch fox news, you must be an out of touch, live out in the boon docks simpleton, listening to dueling banjos ringing in your ears...i guess.  air balllll
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »
Admissions taking a big hit.

This won't help recruiting.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »
weak attempt to downplay the bad pr marquette is getting from this story.  so if you watch fox news, you must be an out of touch, live out in the boon docks simpleton, listening to dueling banjos ringing in your ears...i guess.  air balllll
Well ....

" If Fox News viewers want to be informed about current events, they might as well turn off the TV.
A poll released by Fairleigh Dickinson University on Monday found that people who get their news from Fox News know significantly less about news both in the U.S. and the world than people who watch no news at all."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/fox-news-viewers-informed-current-events-don-watch-news-study-finds-article-1.981257

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
Well ....

" If Fox News viewers want to be informed about current events, they might as well turn off the TV.
A poll released by Fairleigh Dickinson University on Monday found that people who get their news from Fox News know significantly less about news both in the U.S. and the world than people who watch no news at all."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/fox-news-viewers-informed-current-events-don-watch-news-study-finds-article-1.981257

lol.. old nonsense from FDU. "Story" on this survey in NJ gets repeated every few months... sad.

This entire story is stupid (the suspension part.. the real story - the nutso teacher, is valid. Terminate her!). FREE McAdams...

But as he points out, "The 'suspension' is a bit of a joke, since it's Christmas break and we aren't teaching."

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »
lol.. old nonsense from FDU. "Story" on this survey in NJ gets repeated every few months... sad.

This entire story is stupid (the suspension part.. the real story - the nutso teacher, is valid. Terminate her!). FREE McAdams...

But as he points out, "The 'suspension' is a bit of a joke, since it's Christmas break and we aren't teaching."

I'll note you didn't actually refute the study's findings.
Anyhow, they followed up the NJ survey with a nationwide survey. The findings were the same.
Probably just some liberal conspiracy, though.

Researchers asked 1,185 random nationwide respondents what news sources they had consumed in the past week and then asked them questions about events in the U.S. and abroad. On average, people correctly answered 1.6 of five questions about domestic affairs.

Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education, and other demographic factors.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/01/30/does_watching_fox_news_make_you_less_informed.html

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
I find that preposterous since I watch network and Fox News. How could someone who has no exposure to news know more than someone who has the interest to be exposed?
I mainly watch fox to get news on things the others don't cover or merely in passing I.e. Anything that reflects negatively on the administration.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
I find that preposterous since I watch network and Fox News. How could someone who has no exposure to news know more than someone who has the interest to be exposed?
I mainly watch fox to get news on things the others don't cover or merely in passing I.e. Anything that reflects negatively on the administration.

There are plenty of ways to get exposure to news without a television, i.e. newspaper, magazine, interweb.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
I'll note you didn't actually refute the study's findings.
Anyhow, they followed up the NJ survey with a nationwide survey. The findings were the same.
Probably just some liberal conspiracy, though.

Researchers asked 1,185 random nationwide respondents what news sources they had consumed in the past week and then asked them questions about events in the U.S. and abroad. On average, people correctly answered 1.6 of five questions about domestic affairs.

Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education, and other demographic factors.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/01/30/does_watching_fox_news_make_you_less_informed.html

Of course they don't tell you what the questions were. My complaint with our fifth estate is not what they report but rather what they don't report and consider not news. If it were not for Fox would be discussing the McAdams and Abate story at all?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:48:24 AM by muwarrior69 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Is it just me or does a research project to determine if Fox News viewers are less informed than those who consume no news at all sound like it may have a confirmation bias issue?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
There are plenty of ways to get exposure to news without a television, i.e. newspaper, magazine, interweb.

I find Scoop to be particularly informative and intellectually stimulating.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Is it just me or does a research project to determine if Fox News viewers are less informed than those who consume no news at all sound like it may have a confirmation bias issue?

It's just you.
The study wasn't directed at just Fox News, and it found similar ignorance among MSNBC viewers. Just not as ignorant.
Why not take a few minutes to read it before offering a critique?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »

I'd have to agree. To answer the question "correctly" those who consume no news at all must have found that information from somewhere; they just didn't get it out of thin air.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »

They must have left out the all important fact that McAdams is, in fact, a d-bag

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
I'd have to agree. To answer the question "correctly" those who consume no news at all must have found that information from somewhere; they just didn't get it out of thin air.

Shockingly enough, there are more sources for news than just your television.