[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Radio Show Last Night  (Read 12624 times)

brandx

Re: Wojo Radio Show Last Night
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
Disagree with pretty much everything you said.

brandx

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
Remember when him and Derrick were bickering back and forth going into a timeout at the Orlando Classic and Wojo stepped between them and Juan yelled "f*ck you!" at Wojo?  Not sure why I just thought of that but the "different sense of confidence and leadership" made me think of that.  Was that moment ever discussed on Scoop?

I didn't think of that - but it's another good example of Juan being totally invested in the team and Wojo knowing it.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
Uh, I think Wojo meant the players that produce the most in practice are the ones that produce the most in games.  I'm not sure why you started ranting about players that practice hard.  You can't coach a donkey to win the Kentucky Derby...so Derrick Wilson, Chris Otule, and Jake Thomas can practice as hard as they can and will never be star players. 

Yes, practicing hard is a great way for a talented player to improve.  But the point Wojo made is that practice production is the most predictive way of knowing who will be most productive in games.

People on this board can't have it both ways. Define the best practice players, because that was the standing argument why bad players took minutes from players that could have developed. How many people say on this board that the hardest workers in practice get the most minutes. JJJ and Burton didn't practice hard, so buzz didn't play them. Of coarse Jordan and Kobe were the best players in practice, they can beat most guys at half speed. Same with Wade at MU.

You think Juan is practicing better than last year? Isn't practice the reason he started last year? Every coach says how practice how you play, but if you've played basketball you know there are certain people who perform when the lights come on, and practice the day before is just one piece to the puzzle. It's coach speak. JJJ hit shots he was missing in previous games, probably because the first one went in and he gained confidence.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Remember when him and Derrick were bickering back and forth going into a timeout at the Orlando Classic and Wojo stepped between them and Juan yelled "f*ck you!" at Wojo?  Not sure why I just thought of that but the "different sense of confidence and leadership" made me think of that.  Was that moment ever discussed on Scoop?

He didn't say F you to Wojo. Derrick was getting on him for taking a bad shot. Juan told Derrick something along the lines of "I can Fing shoot if I'm open" Wojo gave him the death stare and Steve pulled Juan into the huddle. Wojo and Juan talked it out and Juan came out and had a helluva game.

I equate it to when football coaches are yelling and screaming, sometimes at each other, on the sidelines. No one means any disrespect, everyone just wants to win that badly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
He didn't say F you to Wojo. Derrick was getting on him for taking a bad shot. Juan told Derrick something along the lines of "I can Fing shoot if I'm open" Wojo gave him the death stare and Steve pulled Juan into the huddle. Wojo and Juan talked it out and Juan came out and had a helluva game.

I equate it to when football coaches are yelling and screaming, sometimes at each other, on the sidelines. No one means any disrespect, everyone just wants to win that badly.

Yup. Heat od the moment, adrenalin kind of thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
People on this board can't have it both ways. Define the best practice players, because that was the standing argument why bad players took minutes from players that could have developed. How many people say on this board that the hardest workers in practice get the most minutes. JJJ and Burton didn't practice hard, so buzz didn't play them. Of coarse Jordan and Kobe were the best players in practice, they can beat most guys at half speed. Same with Wade at MU.

You think Juan is practicing better than last year? Isn't practice the reason he started last year? Every coach says how practice how you play, but if you've played basketball you know there are certain people who perform when the lights come on, and practice the day before is just one piece to the puzzle. It's coach speak. JJJ hit shots he was missing in previous games, probably because the first one went in and he gained confidence.

Actually you can have it both ways. All Wojo said here is that the players who perform the best in practice also perform the best in games. That doesn't say anything about who is getting played, just commenting on a correlation. I think Wojo (as well as most D1 coaches) would also agree that those who put in the work in practice tend to earn more playing time. Talent earns you a certain amount of playing time but the rest is earned in practice.

I've heard this myth of kids who play better when the lights come on a hundred times. I've never actually met one. The only times where I've found something close is when the player doesn't try in practice and is ergo better in a game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
Actually you can have it both ways. All Wojo said here is that the players who perform the best in practice also perform the best in games. That doesn't say anything about who is getting played, just commenting on a correlation. I think Wojo (as well as most D1 coaches) would also agree that those who put in the work in practice tend to earn more playing time. Talent earns you a certain amount of playing time but the rest is earned in practice.

I've heard this myth of kids who play better when the lights come on a hundred times. I've never actually met one. The only times where I've found something close is when the player doesn't try in practice and is ergo better in a game.

Don't you think it's possible that some talented kids are bored with practice? When the actual games come, their competitive juices start flowing and they turn it up a notch or two? I believe this to be true. Doing the same repetitive drills everyday or going up against top competition. Not saying it's right or happens to every player. I think the kids with less talent would appreciate practice more and would tend to go all out. They got to where they are based on their work ethic, not by being the most talented player. Maybe it's a sense of entitlement, that more gifted players don't practice as hard all the time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
I have never said the best practice players should get the most minutes in games.

I simply agree that those who do what they are supposed to do in practice will likely be ready to perform their roles well in games.

Derrick practices hard and well, and it translates into him being the best Derrick possible in games. And therefore Wojo knows he will get a certain level of play from him. (Derrick could be the best practice player in history and he's not going to be Chris Paul. I don't think anybody is claiming that to be the case.)

Take another guy, Deonte for example if we are to believe some who claim to know. He didn't go balls-out at practice and it led to Wojo having less confidence in him to perform the way he was supposed to.

Some might be putting a little too much importance on practice habits, but others are guilty of totally dismissing the importance of practice.

As with most subjects, the answer lies in the middle, but we don't like any gray area or nuance here in Scoop Land.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
Don't you think it's possible that some talented kids are bored with practice? When the actual games come, their competitive juices start flowing and they turn it up a notch or two? I believe this to be true. Doing the same repetitive drills everyday or going up against top competition. Not saying it's right or happens to every player. I think the kids with less talent would appreciate practice more and would tend to go all out. They got to where they are based on their work ethic, not by being the most talented player. Maybe it's a sense of entitlement, that more gifted players don't practice as hard all the time.

From experience, NO. Well, there may be some but they are few and far between so I'll amend it to: among kids who love basketball, no.

And I would posit that more gifted players practice harder than those less gifted because they are the ones who know they can use the game to improve their lives.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
We talkin' bout practice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:10:06 PM by Eldon »

brandx

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
We talkin' bout practice.

Thanks, Al.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
Juan's far better this year. Intangibles - more vocal, more emotional (can be good and bad, but has been mostly great), even last year looked like a freshman again at times.

But.. obviously shooting much better (shooting splits are ~12% higher toward at the rim shots, but he's also hit on 6 of his few 3pt shots - that's more than he made all last season). Getting to the line a lot more (FT% not a concern - he's fine). Attacking, drawing contact. Far more involved in the offense. Defensively playing smarter.

Very different player this year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
Juan's far better this year. Intangibles - more vocal, more emotional (can be good and bad, but has been mostly great), even last year looked like a freshman again at times.

But.. obviously shooting much better (shooting splits are ~12% higher toward at the rim shots, but he's also hit on 6 of his few 3pt shots - that's more than he made all last season). Getting to the line a lot more (FT% not a concern - he's fine). Attacking, drawing contact. Far more involved in the offense. Defensively playing smarter.

Very different player this year.

Totally agree.

It's obvious he has total confidence in his game. It must also be nice for him to know that one screw-up in the first 2 minutes won't lead to him spending the rest of the half on the bench.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »

Nope, he definitely directs a "F*ck you!" right at Wojo after directing something at Derrick and Wojo stepping in...

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Marquettes-Wojo-wrecks-arm-before-Orlando-Classic-game-33419674
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »
That link is a reminder that our SID needs a new twitter handle.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »
Totally agree.

It's obvious he has total confidence in his game. It must also be nice for him to know that one screw-up in the first 2 minutes won't lead to him spending the rest of the half on the bench.

I disagree somewhat.

Yeah Juan had a short lease last season, but he deserved it.  The team had other options in the front court who were better players.  This year he's playing in a severely limited front court.  This team needs Juan to play well, and for the most part he's produced well.  But when you have Otule, Gardner, Jamil, Burton and Mayo last season who were all more effective it's understandable why Juan had his minutes limited.

This season has no correlation on last season and he's playing extremely well.  I'm happy for him.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
Took my son to see Jordan play the Lakers and we arrived an hour early to find MJ on the court. He had a guy glued on him as he worked on his moves for 40 minutes before the game. Some people are never satisfied with "Good Enough"

legacy

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Why do you take it as if Wojo is making an ontological statement.  If he says, "I've seen cases of people who can shirk at practice and still show up for games", would that be the wise thing to do, even if it were true?  The mindset of the coach is to motivate his team to give their best in practice, and this becomes part of an overarching approach.  You can't separate his interview answers from his goal of motivating his players.