[Today at 12:02:38 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Radio Show Last Night  (Read 12627 times)

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
Wojo Radio Show Last Night
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »
Anyone have a recap of Wojo and Luke's comments from the radio show last night?
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Wojo Radio Show Last Night
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

brandx

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
Wojo: With rare exceptions, over 20 years the best practice players are the best game players.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
Wojo: With rare exceptions, over 20 years the best practice players are the best game players.

See, that I disagree with. I have seen way to many cases where that is not true at all and maybe the Duke mold is different, but not in my experience.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:09:16 PM by ChitownJuan »

brandx

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
See, that I disagree with. I have seen way to many cases where that is not true at all and maybe the Duke mold is different, but not in my experience.

You're disagreeing with Wojo - not me.

Wojo also called Juan one of the best defensive players in the country. Took ASU's Gilling - their best player - out of the game. Gilling had one open shot the entire night.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »

Buzz and Wojo, who actually make a living doing this, disagree with you.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
Buzz and Wojo, who actually make a living doing this, disagree with you.

I understand that but I have been around basketball practices since I was born. The college and high school level may be different but I know some college players who were some of the laziest kids in high school but still were the best players on their team. Sometime talent trumps work ethic.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »
I understand that but I have been around basketball practices since I was born. The college and high school level may be different but I know some college players who were some of the laziest kids in high school but still were the best players on their team. Sometime talent trumps work ethic.

It's also possible that at this level theyve weeded out pretty much all those players outside of the occasional superstar Id be willing to bet that's what happens
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »

I think you make a good point. I think kids can be lazy in high school and still play well (even if not up to their full potential). But the more you advance the harder you have to work in practice.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
If you do not practice hard, you are limiting your possiblities to prove you are a better player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
It's also possible that at this level theyve weeded out pretty much all those players outside of the occasional superstar Id be willing to bet that's what happens

Exactly. Being the best player on your 6th grade team when you're one of 3 kids starting to go through puberty changes as kids move up and the herd is culled. Even a guy with megastar ability like Michael Beasley eventually fails without a work ethic.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
Hope Santa tuned in.  The kids want legos and Marquette gear.  Smart boys.  Get on that St. Nick.   ;D

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Two things that stood out:

• Does not believe in strategic technical fouls on a coach for the fans to get into game or to get better calls from refs
  • Philosophically has no problem with Juan, Teve, and Fischer on the floor at the same time.  Though it will be limited since, being the only bigs, they will need rest

brandx

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Wojo:

1. wasn't surprised by JJJ's good game - he had his best week of practice all year.

2. Juan is fully invested in this team.

The Juan situation is interesting to me. While we can all agree Juan is much better this year than last, I don't see Juan doing any one thing better than he did last year. He hustled, defended well, rebounded well, scored at times, etc last year.

The difference I see is that this coach is using Juan's full abilities and putting him on the floor for big minutes. Under Buzz, even when Juan was playing, it was always like he was just the 5th player who needed to be on the floor until one of the other guys came back in.

His situation reminds me a lot of Carlos Gomez. A top prospect in different organizations and then just an OK player when he got here. But suddenly - maybe it was the Braun suspension - he totally bought in as one of the main cogs on the team and his play took off. I see the same thing with Juan this year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
Wojo:

1. wasn't surprised by JJJ's good game - he had his best week of practice all year.

2. Juan is fully invested in this team.

The Juan situation is interesting to me. While we can all agree Juan is much better this year than last, I don't see Juan doing any one thing better than he did last year. He hustled, defended well, rebounded well, scored at times, etc last year.

The difference I see is that this coach is using Juan's full abilities and putting him on the floor for big minutes. Under Buzz, even when Juan was playing, it was always like he was just the 5th player who needed to be on the floor until one of the other guys came back in.

His situation reminds me a lot of Carlos Gomez. A top prospect in different organizations and then just an OK player when he got here. But suddenly - maybe it was the Braun suspension - he totally bought in as one of the main cogs on the team and his play took off. I see the same thing with Juan this year.

His shooting percentage is far better this season.

But, you're correct, he was already pretty well rounded in every other portion of the game. Now that he can shoot a little bit, it makes him more well rounded.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »

I'd have to look at the numbers, but I get the sense he's finishing better at the rim than he did last year. Which has given him more confidence in other areas.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »
I agree with you guys that he is a little better at some things, but he was doing those things last year. And I think it's easier to do those things more often and better when you know you will be on the floor 30 minutes a game rather than hoping you get 15 minutes.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
I agree with you guys that he is a little better at some things, but he was doing those things last year. And I think it's easier to do those things more often and better when you know you will be on the floor 30 minutes a game rather than hoping you get 15 minutes.

Agreed--just looks more comfortable doing everything this year.  Reminds me some of the Wes transition from Crean to Buzz.  Has a different sense of confidence and leadership that just wasn't there last year.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Wade was the best player in practice the year he sat out, Wes, Jimmy and Travis were all very good practice players.  Jimmy Mac was not.  I tend to agree with Wojo.  If you think of the great college and pro player's most of the best college players were good practice players and most of the best pro players were good practice player's.  Jordan, Bird, Lebron  were all known as great practice player's. Iverson not so much and his career reflects it.  Carmelo not a great practice player and he will never win a title,  MVP or probably another playoff game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »
Remember when him and Derrick were bickering back and forth going into a timeout at the Orlando Classic and Wojo stepped between them and Juan yelled "f*ck you!" at Wojo?  Not sure why I just thought of that but the "different sense of confidence and leadership" made me think of that.  Was that moment ever discussed on Scoop?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
Phil Jackson said Jordan was by far the best practice player he had ever seen. Kobe was next. FWIW.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
Exactly. Being the best player on your 6th grade team when you're one of 3 kids starting to go through puberty changes as kids move up and the herd is culled. Even a guy with megastar ability like Michael Beasley eventually fails without a work ethic.

seems silly to even have this discussion. Ask Kobe Bryant what he thinks? If you don't work hard you will fall short, period.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Remember when him and Derrick were bickering back and forth going into a timeout at the Orlando Classic and Wojo stepped between them and Juan yelled "f*ck you!" at Wojo?  Not sure why I just thought of that but the "different sense of confidence and leadership" made me think of that.  Was that moment ever discussed on Scoop?

My MSU friends who were there with me were kind of shocked.  It was loud and clear.  And 15 minutes later they were joking with one another.  I guess they have that "no grudges" kind of relationship.

You can tell Wojo's favorite player is... Juan.  The radio show last night confirmed it.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
It's annoying how you guys take the bait on practice vs. games. What's he supposed to say? Bad practice players play really well during the games. Do you think Gardner practiced harder than O'Tule? Do you think anyone practices harder than Derick Wilson? In the 18 years I've watched, those are the two worst starters in recent MU history. I bet Jake Thomas practiced really hard, even Mayo was better.

Funny story about Allen Iverson, he asked Gary Payton how he stayed so long in the league. Payton told him about not practicing, which lead to his famous rant about "practice". Kobe hasn't practiced in years, neither have any of the stars. The best players DON'T practice.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
It's annoying how you guys take the bait on practice vs. games. What's he supposed to say? Bad practice players play really well during the games. Do you think Gardner practiced harder than O'Tule? Do you think anyone practices harder than Derick Wilson? In the 18 years I've watched, those are the two worst starters in recent MU history. I bet Jake Thomas practiced really hard, even Mayo was better.

Uh, I think Wojo meant the players that produce the most in practice are the ones that produce the most in games.  I'm not sure why you started ranting about players that practice hard.  You can't coach a donkey to win the Kentucky Derby...so Derrick Wilson, Chris Otule, and Jake Thomas can practice as hard as they can and will never be star players. 

Yes, practicing hard is a great way for a talented player to improve.  But the point Wojo made is that practice production is the most predictive way of knowing who will be most productive in games.