Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Burton down to....  (Read 15527 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Burton down to....
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
....Iowa State and UCLA, according to Jeff Goodman.

Gee, there's a tough decision.

reinko

• All American
Re: Burton down to....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »

If he goes to ISU, UCLA was not an option.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
I believe if he goes to ISU he will have to pay his own way for the second semester.  They have no available scholarships at the current time.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
I still don't get it with Burton.  What is he thinking?  Did we ever get any insight into why exactly he left, or is he just in search of more PT?

The whole thing is just bizarre. He clearly was struggling, but giving up a year of eligibility to move onto another school that he is going to have plenty of PT competition at seems....strange.  There has to be more to the story.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
I also was thinking there "must be more to the story".
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Burton is being told he needs to be a 2 guard.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
I believe if he goes to ISU he will have to pay his own way for the second semester.  They have no available scholarships at the current time.

And UCLA is loaded with 4/5 star players, SG Prince Ali coming in next year and Alford is a no nonsense coach.  Who knows, maybe thats what he needs, but playing time at a SG spot there will be harder than at MU.  Hope it works out for the young fella.  

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
I still don't get it with Burton.  What is he thinking?  Did we ever get any insight into why exactly he left, or is he just in search of more PT?

The whole thing is just bizarre. He clearly was struggling, but giving up a year of eligibility to move onto another school that he is going to have plenty of PT competition at seems....strange.  There has to be more to the story.
I think these kids are influenced by people who don't understand the greater scheme of things. Deonte was in a position to do very well once Luke came on board, plus he would have a whole years worth of Big East games to demonstrate his value. At the very least staying through to the end of the year was a much better option for him personally. Not to mention there would have been injuries , kids ineligible for academic reasons, team rule violations  etc  and he would have gotten more time ..

At this point a Horizon league or Missouri Valley team would be a great option for him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
There has to be more to the story.

These things are rarely just a case of the kid or coach making a decision. From the time these kids are in high school, there are voices in their ears telling them what to do. Sadly, too often these voices have their own best interests in mind rather than the kid they are trying to "help".

When it seems like there must be more to the story, there usually is, and it's often these kind of behind the scenes people that are pulling the strings.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:29:22 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
I think these kids are influenced by people who don't understand the greater scheme of things. Deonte was in a position to do very well once Luke came on board, plus he would have a whole years worth of Big East games to demonstrate his value. At the very least staying through to the end of the year was a much better option for him personally. Not to mention there would have been injuries , kids ineligible for academic reasons, team rule violations  etc  and he would have gotten more time ..

At this point a Horizon league or Missouri Valley team would be a great option for him.

How do you figure? He was averaging 16 minutes a game w/ Fischer ineligible.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Fischer created space for everyone to do their thing. Deonte would have done very well in the new configuration and thus earned more minutes going forward.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »

lol did you not see what JJJ and Duane were able to do in 1 game? Able to get to the rack at will. Deonte would have thrived with more size on the court.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »
Burton was not playing hard. He had 6 defensive rebounds on the year. Let me repeat...SIX defensive rebounds this year. I don't think anyone is too concerned with his leaving. Play hard or get out.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
Burton was not playing hard. He had 6 defensive rebounds on the year. Let me repeat...SIX defensive rebounds this year. I don't think anyone is too concerned with his leaving. Play hard or get out.

The guy's mother died.  I want to see this team win and I think minutes should reward production, but telling a guy who's carrying that burden to in essence f--k off may be one of the most despicable things I've seen on this board.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
Is it too late for Deonte to change his mind and return to the team/school?  Did he take his exams?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

Is that a "Kendrick Nunn UCLA offer" (Nunn kept putting off his decision hoping/begging/pleading for a UCLA offer that was never in the cards.  Now he is at Illinois)
Is this a "Kevon Looney UCLA offer" (Looney actual got an offer, took it, and is playing for them).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
Is it too late for Deonte to change his mind and return to the team/school?  Did he take his exams?

If he wanted to keep in good academic standing for his next school he should have taken them.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »

NCAA wise, I'm sure he can change his mind.

Wojo wise, I'm skeptical that that window remains open although his mother's death may factor into allowing him some slack.

The big question is there any reason or indication that Deonte might go that way?  None that I've seen or heard.  Having Iowa State and UCLA talking to him would seem to indicate to Deonte that he would be better appreciated elsewhere.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
Fischer created space for everyone to do their thing. Deonte would have done very well in the new configuration and thus earned more minutes going forward.

Deonte practiced with Fischer for the last year. He knew what Fischer was going to add to the team.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
Is that a "Kendrick Nunn UCLA offer" (Nunn kept putting off his decision hoping/begging/pleading for a UCLA offer that was never in the cards.  Now he is at Illinois)
Is this a "Kevon Looney UCLA offer" (Looney actual got an offer, took it, and is playing for them).

Could be wishful thinking on Burton's part. Not sure why UCLA would be interested in him. Just passing along what Goodman tweeted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
He gown.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
The guy's mother died.  I want to see this team win and I think minutes should reward production, but telling a guy who's carrying that burden to in essence f--k off may be one of the most despicable things I've seen on this board.

Couldn't agree more. I couldn't imagine how awful that would be. The guy got a pass for the whole year in my mind.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
Burton is being told he needs to be a 2 guard.

The same guy who told McKay he shouldn't redshirt, by chance?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »

Yep.  Blankson was one of those guys who listened to "friends" telling him he shouldn't settle for being option #2 behind Dwyane.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
I still don't get it with Burton.  What is he thinking?  Did we ever get any insight into why exactly he left, or is he just in search of more PT?

The whole thing is just bizarre. He clearly was struggling, but giving up a year of eligibility to move onto another school that he is going to have plenty of PT competition at seems....strange.  There has to be more to the story.

From what has been implied here, I don't think Wojo and him were on the same page.

feedback