'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Now That The "Luke Fischer Secret" Is Out ...  (Read 15980 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Now That The "Luke Fischer Secret" Is Out ...
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
Tower wrote this in his "euphoria" post and I thought it was worthy of its discussion ...

3.  I know I need to remind myself that it was only one game against a team that wasn't that great, that really didn't have a plan how to handle Luke.   That isn't going to be the case going forward.  

First question
, did ASU make a scouting mistake?  Sure they watched film and all the things you're supposed to do.  And I'm sure they knew some new guy name Luke Fischer was new to the team.  But, did they appreciate his reputation and what he would mean for MU?  It also seemed to me that they acted like "who is this guy" when Luke checked in.  They did not know what to do with him.

Second question, now the secret is out and teams now have tape when scouting MU.  So, this is not going to happen again.  What does it mean going forward?  My guess ... teams are going to pack the lane to deny Fischer on offense.  That opens up the perimeter for shooters.  This benefits Duane and JJJ (good outside shooters) and not Derrick and Juan (not good outside shooters).

On the other hand, on defense this means Luke can do in the lane what 2 guys were doing before.  So this benefits our better defensive players than like Derrick and Juan and less JJJ and STj.

So, how do you think things change now that the "Luke Fischer secret" is out?  Will we see him have his way in the lane like he did against ASU?  Or, do we need another shooting night like JJJ had to keep the lane open for Fischer?

Thoughts/Comments?

BM1090

• All American
Re: Now That The "Luke Fischer Secret" Is Out ...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
Tower wrote this in his "euphoria" post and I thought it was worthy of its discussion ...

3.  I know I need to remind myself that it was only one game against a team that wasn't that great, that really didn't have a plan how to handle Luke.   That isn't going to be the case going forward.  

First question
, did ASU make a scouting mistake?  Sure they watched film and all the things you're supposed to do.  And I'm sure they knew some new guy name Luke Fischer was new to the team.  But, did they appreciate his reputation and what he would mean for MU?  It also seemed to me that they acted like "who is this guy" when Luke checked in.  They did not know what to do with him.

Second question, now the secret is out and teams now have tape when scouting MU.  So, this is not going to happen again.  What does it mean going forward?  My guess ... teams are going to pack the lane to deny Fischer on offense.  That opens up the perimeter for shooters.  This benefits Duane and JJJ (good outside shooters) and not Derrick and Juan (not good outside shooters).

On the other hand, on defense this means Luke can do in the lane what 2 guys were doing before.  So this benefits our better defensive players than like Derrick and Juan and less JJJ and STj.

So, how do you think things change now that the "Luke Fischer secret" is out?  Will we see him have his way in the lane like he did against ASU?  Or, do we need another shooting night like JJJ had to keep the lane open for Fischer?

Thoughts/Comments?

Agree with most of what you said. I think Luke will become a focal point and we'll get alot more open shots from outside. Only thing I disagree with is Juan is as good as/better than JaJuan at outside shooting. I know it's a small sample size but Juan is shooting 46% from deep and JaJuan is at 21%. JaJuan's percentage will likely go up and Juan's down, but I would bet that Juan ends up with a higher percentage at the end of the year.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »

First question

Thoughts/Comments?
I think Luke is a true Aircraft Carrier type center, which we haven't had in a long time. He will get more attention for sure, but he showed enough IQ to kick it out several times and not force things. So in some respects, I hope teams build their strategies around stopping Luke thus leaving Duane, Carlino, JJJ , Juan  more space to do their thing.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

First question

I'm still a bit surprised by this--its not like it was a secret that Luke was going to be a big presence for us.  Maybe some of the specifics of how he'll play were uncertain, but all of the press leading up to the game (and even in general, about our season) was about adding Fisch.  Even FS1 was focused on it, as they showed numerous shots of him on the bench at the beginning of the game (couldn't hear the audio at our MU bar to hear what they were saying about him).  It wasn't really a secret to anyone, it seemed, other than ASU.  

So, yes, maybe they made a scouting mistake, even if Luke played better than anyone actually anticipated--its like they had NO plan for him whatsoever.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

First question

Thoughts/Comments?
what does it mean going forward?  It means that going forward teams are going to double Luke by dropping off whoever cannot threaten them from downtown.  Better be ready to move without the ball when Luke has it and be in position to make a bunch of threes.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
He looked like a willing passer on cuts as well, so when doubled he should be getting guys open in a number of ways, not just 3 balls

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Going forward, MU is going to have to anticipate that the other teams are going to do what they always do when there is a versatile post threat.   There will be double teams.    Anticipate the kickout and be (A) ready to shoot or (B) destroy the rotations and recovery with rapid ball movement.    Think of what other teams have done to MU over the years when MU has had to double the post and recover.   Or, think of it as another variation of a 'paint touch'.    Force the help, exploit the rotation.  Yes, this will not help Derrick as much as some others.   He is going to have to move the ball quickly.  Yes, Deonte would have really benefitted playing the high post or weak side with Luke on the low block.   Yes, they frequently doubled Davante but he didn't really look to pass.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
We played a completely different style against ASU compared to our prior games.  It had to have been difficult for ASU to come up with multiple strategies.  My guess is that they concentrated more on our zone defense even with Fisher and they nor I nor most in the BC had any idea how big of an impact Fisher was going to provide.  I tempered my expectations as I tend to be a glass is half full type and I was blown away at how dominant Fisher was in that first half especially.  The impact on the defensive end was unbelievable.  I think ASU was shellshocked.

Teams will now have a scouting report on Fisher and how we play on both ends of the court and they will make adjustments.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
did ASU make a scouting mistake?  

If they didn't make a scouting mistake, they sure didn't make the right adjustments.
Coach Maurice Sendek's players continued the theme of "Where the Wild Shots Are" by putting their heads down, driving the lane, and launching rainbows that they were worried would be blocked.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »

I know not your question but this biggest benefactor for perimeter shooting will be Carlino.  Duane second, then JJJ/Juan.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
I think Luke is a true Aircraft Carrier type center, which we haven't had in a long time. He will get more attention for sure, but he showed enough IQ to kick it out several times and not force things. So in some respects, I hope teams build their strategies around stopping Luke thus leaving Duane, Carlino, JJJ , Juan  more space to do their thing.

Was Otule not on the team enough years that he is already forgotten?

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
When the ball went into Otule, it never came back out.  Luke has a much greater set of skills than O.   O was a great story but not very versatile.
Having said that, wish we had him as backup for his 7th year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
What ASU could not of known was that a player who had not played in a year could defend the middle so well without fouling.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Was Otule not on the team enough years that he is already forgotten?
I love Chris and wish we still had him for a 7th year. But by Aircraft Carrier I mean a 20 point 10 rebound kind of guy big man who is the focus of the opposition.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
What ASU could not of known was that a player who had not played in a year could defend the middle so well without fouling.

Even I forget that Luke had a 1/2 year of practicing with Gardner and Otule.  That had to help.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
Great point.   And I am not just saying that because you are an all-powerful moderator who gave us all a Christmas present.  ;D   Luke practiced half a season against Gardner and Otule.   If he could guard Davante and score on Chris.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
I love Chris and wish we still had him for a 7th year. But by Aircraft Carrier I mean a 20 point 10 rebound kind of guy big man who is the focus of the opposition.

+1  Luke's the first guy with that size and decent hands we've had in a while (his first touch notwithstanding).  As much as I too loved Otule and Ousmane, I always held my breath on the entry pass, waiting for the ball to end up down around their ankles.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
+1  Luke's the first guy with that size and decent hands we've had in a while (his first touch notwithstanding).  As much as I too loved Otule and Ousmane, I always held my breath on the entry pass, waiting for the ball to end up down around their ankles.

So Gardner's four years are now forgotten too.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »

Unless he was 3 inches taller than I remember...

My original thought was that Luke is the Oxtule -- Chris' height and Davante's hands.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
Great point.   And I am not just saying that because you are an all-powerful moderator who gave us all a Christmas present.  ;D   Luke practiced half a season against Gardner and Otule.   If he could guard Davante and score on Chris.....

speaking of which.. was it ever reported or know how well Luke was playing against those 2 in practice?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »

You are not really thinking through the meaning behind posts before replying are you?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brandx

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »

That is basically what Al meant, as well. He wasn't just talking about a big body.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
That performance on Tuesday was the one I waited 6 years for Otule to have.   Never happened.  Not Once. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »

That is basically what Al meant, as well. He wasn't just talking about a big body.

See: Jim Chones
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
You are not really thinking through the meaning behind posts before replying are you?

Luke's the first guy with that size and decent hands we've had in a while

I think Luke is a true Aircraft Carrier type center, which we haven't had in a long time.

Yes Luke could very well be better than OXtule (together or seperate) but let's not pretend we have been missing decent play at the 5 for many years. 

* Gardner was one of the best scoring big men in the BE
* Three years ago (second S16 season) Otule played so well in the second half of the year he almost single-handily carried us into the second week of the tourney.  At that time many here were wondering where Otule would be drafted.   

Just trying to stop the revisionist history/collective amnesia