[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: If college basketball programs were countries  (Read 4197 times)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
If college basketball programs were countries
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
I found this on the Kentucky board, it's surprisingly funny and accurate

https://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=207941209&mid=207941209&sid=888&style=2

Eldon

• All American
Re: If college basketball programs were countries
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
Entertaining.  I'll post here for those who don't want to give the UK board the clickcounts.  I like the analogy for Dayton.

UCLA - Russia. One truly dominant, but short-lived era, and hasn't been able to fully regain its footing since its downfall.

Kansas - Germany. Probably should have taken over much of the world by now, but for one reason or another fell short several times.

Kansas St.  - Austria. Thinks they're Germany.

Missouri - Czech Republic. Thinks they're Germany.

Indiana - France. Lots of history, culture, and tradition, and a certain holierthanthou smugness among many of its residents. Most successful run came under the rule of a brutal dictator whose pride ended up being his own downfall. Due to more recent circumstances, has become the butt of a lot of jokes.

UNC - The UK. Considered to be royalty among its peers, its influence has been felt everywhere. Has ruled for a long time, but has lost some of its luster recently.

Duke - China. Has become a true global power over the last few decades, yet constantly tries to remind everyone that there was history there before this most recent emergence.

Kentucky - The United States. The most powerful nation in the world, is hated by most of the world, and its own history has many black marks that its own residents try to forget.

Lousiville - Canada. Lots of things that make it unique in its own right, but is constantly belittled by the USA and is considered a lesser version of it.

UConn - Australia. Whether it be because they're newer or in a world of their own (the AAC conference), they have kind of flown under the radar even though they have rightfully made a name for themselves on a global level.

Arizona - Iran. Strong history sprinkled in a desert, definitely a global player, but until they actually do something, is still more bark than bite.

Texas - Brazil. Given their resources they should be a routine player by now, but has been so mismanaged that more times than not is a complete mess.

Michigan St.  - Japan. In the grand scheme of things it hasn't always been a prominent player, but when it has been it has had a profound impact.

Florida - Spain. For all the things it has going for it, it could care less and is more or less just enjoying the ride, rather than taking its place among its peers. May be a bit too distracted by the weather as its residents have other priorities.

Philly Big 5 - Scandanavia (Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland). Interesting, yet overall second-tier history located in a region that prides itself on being nuts.

Wisconsin - Poland. A proud nation on the colder side full of residents who like their drink, who were prominent early on, but completely disappeared between 1945 and the early 1990s.

Dayton - Cuba. Came out of nowhere and threatened everyone for one year in the 1960s.

Butler - Israel. Both new and old in a historical sense/relevancy. For their size, they have quite an arsenal, are associated with ancient landmarks, and their neighbors are constantly fighting over what they have

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
So who do we get to be?  I'm thinking South Korea.  UWM's place in the analogy being mere coincidence.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »
Marquette - Vietnam.  Made a lot of noise in the 70s when it was under the rule of a charismatic leader and got the best of the United States (Kentucky).  Starting to re-emerge after largely disappearing in the 80s and 90s.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Marquette - Vietnam.  Made a lot of noise in the 70s when it was under the rule of a charismatic leader and got the best of the United States (Kentucky).  Starting to re-emerge after largely disappearing in the 80s and 90s.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:02 AM »

Ho Chi Minh died in the late '60's

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »
Ho Chi Minh died in the late '60's

Damn.  I got nothing then.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
Marquette - Italy - Had an empire in the 70's, all the greatness was still visible in the 80's and 90's and has enjoyed the Renaissance in the 2000's.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
Really entertaining list.  I like the self awareness of the Kentucky - US.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
Wasnt there something like this done on the Louisville board for the old Big East?

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
If anything I would say MU is Ireland. We are a tiny island nation who is well known. We are not respected by our neighbors, even though we are rich in tradition. We are a people who love, respect, and celebrate beer. People from all over are proud to share our heritage. We are very Catholic, and come every March, there is a big celebration.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:45:49 AM »
If anything I would say MU is Ireland. We are a tiny island nation who is well known. We are not respected by our neighbors, even though we are rich in tradition. We are a people who love, respect, and celebrate beer. People from all over are proud to share our heritage. We are very Catholic, and come every March, there is a big celebration.

Nailed it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »

And on top of that we beat the British (UNC) when it matters. Good call.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »

Boom.  Got it.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »

Guess that makes UWM Northern Ireland.  Our tiny neighbor to the north, they've got a nice view on the water, but they'll tell you they're British, even though you know they're from Belfast.  Actually, I guess you can say that last part about all the non-Madison campuses.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
Guess that makes UWM Northern Ireland.  Our tiny neighbor to the north, they've got a nice view on the water, but they'll tell you they're British, even though you know they're from Belfast.  Actually, I guess you can say that last part about all the non-Madison campuses.

Hilarious!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »

Damn.  I got nothing then.

That's what your wife sez...

Death on call

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

I was going to say the same thing before I even read past the OP.  I'm trying to think of how to intertwine the growing rat problem in the rice paddies as a result of the rise in the middle class's demand for such delicacies as feline and serpent meat.

Needs more of a basketball focus.  Can't tell if you're talking about the school, the students or the basketball team.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Needs more of a basketball focus.  Can't tell if you're talking about the school, the students or the basketball team.
Why the need for separation? The crowd doesn't say "we are Marquette.. students, alum, faculty, etc." I was talking about all of the above. Also, this is the superbar, it does not need more basketball focus.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.