'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Top Midseason Transfers This Year - Deonte #2.  (Read 11731 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Top Midseason Transfers This Year - Deonte #2.
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Nation's top 5 midseason transfers
By Jeff Goodman
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4450&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanMidseasonTransfers

There were nearly 700 total transfers in college basketball last season, with about 60 or so coming on the midseason transfer list. In 2014-15, we’re already at 60-plus midseason transfers and it’s not even Christmas.

I’m not quite sure any of the guys listed below will put up 19 points and grab nine boards in their debut with their new school, as was the case with former Indiana big man Luke Fischer, a member of the midseason transfer list last season. Fischer nearly put up a double-double on Wednesday night in his first game with Marquette.

However, the following are a handful of guys who can certainly make an impact wherever they opt to go. As well, I've put the full list of transfers below.

1. Semi Ojeleye, 6-8, F, Soph., Duke Blue Devils

He couldn’t crack the rotation at Duke, but that’s no easy task right now with a bevy of wing forwards. Ojeleye is from the Midwest, is a good athlete who can shoot it and rebound. He’s got no shortage of suitors and, as long as he makes the right choice, should have a significant impact at his next stop. Some of the schools in the mix so far are Wisconsin, Kansas, Kansas State, SMU, Oregon, Iowa, Illinois, Creighton, Wichita State, California and Washington.

2. Deonte Burton, 6-4, G, Soph., Marquette Golden Eagles

Burton was supposed to be a key player for the Golden Eagles this season, but he became just a role player for new coach Steve Wojciechowski and wanted more. The issue for Burton is that he’s almost an undersized power forward, so he may want to drop down a level -- although that appears unlikely. Iowa State (aka Transfer U.) is in the mix, along with Rhode Island and UCLA.

3. Conner Frankamp, 6-0, G, Soph., Kansas Jayhawks

Frankamp saw the writing on the wall this season, as he was going to be a role player for the Jayhawks and not much more than that. Frank Mason and Devonte Graham were the point guards, and there were multiple wings in front of him. However, the Wichita native should be deadly playing with Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker (if he returns to school) next season. Frankamp is a shooter, and Gregg Marshall could use one of those.

4. Jordan Hare, 6-10, C, Soph., Rhode Island Rams

He’s completely unreliable as he’s now left Danny Hurley and the Rams on two separate occasions. However, Hare’s a talented big man who can really run the court. The key is who would take a chance on him -- and for him, it’s finding the right spot. He’s a Michigan native who has a young child, and being closer to home could be as a positive.

5. Jordan Reed, 6-4, G, Jr., Binghamton Bearcats

He was Tommy Dempsey’s top player the last two seasons and averaged 15.4 points and 8.9 boards a year ago as a 6-foot-4 guard. Reed could probably go up a level to a solid mid-major and be a key contributor, but he has to be careful how big of a jump he makes.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Top Midseason Transfers This Year - Deonte #2.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  5m5 minutes ago
RT @jeffborzello: Sounds like #mubb transfer Deonte Burton will decide between Iowa State and UCLA.

URI & Maryland had been in the mix.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
Interesting that Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern and Marquette were all not listed for Semi.  I'm beginning to think that there is an unspoken rule about former Duke coaches grabbing Duke transfers from Coach K.  It's not a coincidence that none of them schedule OOC games against Duke as well.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:50 AM »
Can we trade #2 for #1 and throw in a playa to be named later?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  5m5 minutes ago
RT @jeffborzello: Sounds like #mubb transfer Deonte Burton will decide between Iowa State and UCLA.

URI & Maryland had been in the mix.

Iowa State loves some Marquette transfers.  Christopherson, McKay, and now Burton?  

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
Paint Touches
‏@PaintTouches
Finally, no mention of #mubb reaching out to Duke transfer Ojeleye.
7:38 AM - 18 Dec 2014

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
If we're not going after Semi I don't think we add one.  The rest of the list is rather uninspiring.  Time to change my name again.  Wojo may have realized how good Semi is if only more Scoopers had changed their handles.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
It's not a coincidence that none of them schedule OOC games against Duke as well.

No, it is not a coincidence that teams schedule their mentor in out of conference games. Coach O'Neill never scheduled Lute Olsen at Arizona; Coach Crean never scheduled Michigan State (although they did play once in a very forgettable game at the NCAAs in Winston-Salem NC) and Coach Hillbilly never scheduled Indiana.

It's a custom, of sorts. I would think the no recruiting in this post may relate to what Coach Wojo knows about Semi. Or, it could be respect. Who knows, though I don't expect Coach Wojo and Coach K to play each other anytime soon, so this should not be an issue if Coach Wojo wants and thinks he can use Semi

We'll see what happens but I think we have a good team as in. Frankly, I'd rather have Diamond Stone if he's interested.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
I understand us not playing Duke, but I don't see why we shouldn't have a shot if a guy wants to transfer from there.  I seriously doubt Coach K would be offended if a guy getting no minutes at Duke wanted to join Marquette / Wojo.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Interesting that Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern and Marquette were all not listed for Semi.  I'm beginning to think that there is an unspoken rule about former Duke coaches grabbing Duke transfers from Coach K.  It's not a coincidence that none of them schedule OOC games against Duke as well.

Made me think the opposite, that maybe the same reason he wasn't playing is the reason they aren't interested. Surprises me as he seems like a great talent.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
Well if Wojo was involved with his recruitment, and things didn't turn out the way he expected, maybe that's got something to do with the absence of MU in this picture now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
Well if Wojo was involved with his recruitment, and things didn't turn out the way he expected, maybe that's got something to do with the absence of MU in this picture now.

Interesting perspective that I've haven't heard yet...that maybe Semi is pissed off at being recruited over, and may think that Wojo was a key cog in that happening. Sure, maybe they had good relationship during the recruitment, but maybe Semi feels lied to and wants nothing to do with anyone Duke-ish.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »

Absolutely, spot on.  Maybe Semi makes the first move.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »
Let's be clear--Goodman's article says "some of the schools in the mix so far"--by no means definitive.  Now, while not mentioning MU might in fact mean that we are not involved at all, I'm not jumping to any conclusions based on that one comment. 

We just had a big test with getting Fishy mixed in to the team, and it sounds like Wojo had other recruiting priorities last week.  He may not have reached out to Semi yet, or that info may not have been passed to Goodman by his deadline.  Lots of possible reasons why we may not have been included in Goodman's explicitly non-exhaustive list.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »
2. Deonte Burton, 6-4, G, Soph., Marquette Golden Eagles

Burton was supposed to be a key player for the Golden Eagles this season, but he became just a role player for new coach Steve Wojciechowski and wanted more. The issue for Burton is that he’s almost an undersized power forward, so he may want to drop down a level -- although that appears unlikely. Iowa State (aka Transfer U.) is in the mix, along with Rhode Island and UCLA.

What is an "almost undersized power forward"?

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »

What is an "almost undersized power forward"?

Seems to me it would have to be a power forward who is sized (vs. being undersized, of course).  Hope that helps clear it up for you.  :-\

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »
By recruiting Semi you are essentially saying a 1 1/2 year player is more valuable than any four year player you could of signed next year. As long as Wojo believes he can bring in 4 & 5 star players, why take a player that was not happy with playing time.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
Seems to me it would have to be a power forward who is sized (vs. being undersized, of course).  Hope that helps clear it up for you.  :-\

I appreciate the knowledge you have shared with me  8-)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
By recruiting Semi you are essentially saying a 1 1/2 year player is more valuable than any four year player you could of signed next year. As long as Wojo believes he can bring in 4 & 5 star players, why take a player that was not happy with playing time.

Because Wojo has five schollies to fill, and a former 5-star 6'8" player would be a great get. If he only had one or two slots the logic might be different, but it is doubtful he can find players with that talent to fill all five slots, not to mention balancing out the classes.

However, nothing seems to indicate MU is in the hunt for Semi.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:01:31 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:06:15 PM »
We originally had one available for the next recruiting class. I was thinking it was three, but 5 is correct.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

A little class balance would be nice.
Next year's roster currently features one senior, three juniors, two sophomores and four freshman. Adding a one-year guy like Lockett and Carlino, at least, and a sophomore/junior transfer would help balance things out.

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
I appreciate the knowledge you have shared with me  8-)

Absolutely, brandx....I just love this board and as a long time reader / rare poster, thought I'd throw some of my knowledge around, as extensive as it is  ;)...must admit I took joy in learning of ners' banning and actually had the enjoyment of watching it in sort of real-time...board gets that much better when threads are not all hijacked into a sort of tunnel-vision-beat-the-dead-horse-silly kind of thing...

Anyway, here's to having the best BIG I can remember ever having at MU, and I can remember a few...just hoping we stay healthy because if so, I see this team in the Big Dance this year...absolutely thrilled with Wojo and what he's done to date...proved he is at least a good (perhaps great?) tactician and great (perhaps excellent?) recruiter...

AlsDisciple / goinUptown
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:30:57 PM by goinUptown »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
What about this Louisville dude?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »

Or vice versa.  Must be why Deonte Burton isn't listed with Duke.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
Can we trade #2 for #1 and throw in a playa to be named later?

Can we give them Mayo?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback