Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Two days post euphoria  (Read 6643 times)

tower912

• All American
Two days post euphoria
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
No, not Ners getting banned, thoughts about MU going forward.
1.  STjr and Sandy are going to have to play better.   It simply isn't possible, in a conference like the Big East, to expect 6 guys to average 30 minutes.   They are certainly going to get their chances.  Grab the opportunities, men.
2.  3 pt shooting is still erratic and inconsistent.   Once Luke is fully integrated, I look for some kickouts out of double teams to wide open shooters.   Matt, Juan, JJJ, Duane need to hit them. 
3.  I know I need to remind myself that it was only one game against a team that wasn't that great, that really didn't have a plan how to handle Luke.   That isn't going to be the case going forward. 
4.  To build on 1, it is going to take all 8.   Fouls, fatigue, and injuries are inevitable.
5.  To further build on that, Wojo is going to have to be disciplined on his substitutions.   I understand the argument for riding hot hands.   He did and it worked.   But Luke and Juan were completely gassed at the end.   Getting STjr and Sandy back in the game in the second half earlier, even for 90 seconds before a media timeout, would have been beneficial.   Wojo is a smart guy.  He'll learn. 
6.  Tuesday night was the Juan I remember from his HS highlight reels.   I would argue that so far he has been our most consistent player.   Kudos to him.   I know I did not see it coming.   Shame on me.   And many others.
7.   This is our team.   Sometimes they are going to look good, sometimes they are going to stink.   Sometimes, an individual is going to stink while the rest of the team looks good.   There is no point in beating up the kid because there really isn't anyone else to put in this year.   He is going to have to go back out there, for better or for worse.
8.   My Christmas wish is for no flu bugs, no mumps, no injuries.   There is no margin any more. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
Re: Two days post euphoria
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
6.  Tuesday night was the Juan I remember from his HS highlight reels.   I would argue that so far he has been our most consistent player.   Kudos to him.   I know I did not see it coming.   Shame on me.   And many others. 

After Derrick, we probably maligned Juan more than anyone last year.  Glad to see him getting due praise for a solid effort this far this year.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:16 AM »
Sandy is a freshman, yet I've seen enough to believe he will continue to develop and step up to the challenge.  I'm far less certain with Steve.

For whatever reason (knee? confidence? less skilled than we thought?), Steve has been a shell of the rebounding machine he was as a freshman.  While people have pointed to him playing out of position, I think he'll actually have more trouble at the 4 than the 5 where he'll presumably need to be more mobile and athletic, and will have to play defense against, on average, more athletic opponents.  Ideally we need Steve to play at a high enough level to spell Luke for 10-12 minutes per game and Juan for 8-10.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
thanks for the lump of coal post....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Cohen fits the new team speed, but Taylor does not.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
Cohen fits the new team speed, but Taylor does not.
Steve's contributions will depend on matchups at PF.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »
Ners got banned? Ha.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
Ners got banned? Ha.

And there was much rejoicing
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
Good post Tower. Can't find anything I disagree with.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
TAMU, you beat me to it.

Great post, Tower.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
who's got a link to ners getting banned?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
All good tower.  I've personally focused on #5.  We've got to figure out proper rotations before January.  I'm hoping that our upcoming 3 opponents will understand why MU is playing hard all 40 minutes as we attempt to develop that.

GGGG

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
Sandy is a freshman, yet I've seen enough to believe he will continue to develop and step up to the challenge.  I'm far less certain with Steve.

For whatever reason (knee? confidence? less skilled than we thought?), Steve has been a shell of the rebounding machine he was as a freshman.  While people have pointed to him playing out of position, I think he'll actually have more trouble at the 4 than the 5 where he'll presumably need to be more mobile and athletic, and will have to play defense against, on average, more athletic opponents.  Ideally we need Steve to play at a high enough level to spell Luke for 10-12 minutes per game and Juan for 8-10.

I've said this before, I just don't think he is athletic enough.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45711.msg677940#msg677940

Shhhh, he's on-line right now....must be in view-only mode.

For those of you who have experience Scoop solitary, is it a complete ban from the web site, or only from posting?

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
1.  STjr and Sandy are going to have to play better.   It simply isn't possible, in a conference like the Big East, to expect 6 guys to average 30 minutes.   They are certainly going to get their chances.  Grab the opportunities, men.
2.  3 pt shooting is still erratic and inconsistent.   Once Luke is fully integrated, I look for some kickouts out of double teams to wide open shooters.   Matt, Juan, JJJ, Duane need to hit them. 
3.  I know I need to remind myself that it was only one game against a team that wasn't that great, that really didn't have a plan how to handle Luke.   That isn't going to be the case going forward. 
4.  To build on 1, it is going to take all 8.   Fouls, fatigue, and injuries are inevitable.
5.  To further build on that, Wojo is going to have to be disciplined on his substitutions.   I understand the argument for riding hot hands.   He did and it worked.   But Luke and Juan were completely gassed at the end.   Getting STjr and Sandy back in the game in the second half earlier, even for 90 seconds before a media timeout, would have been beneficial.   Wojo is a smart guy.  He'll learn. 
7.   This is our team.   Sometimes they are going to look good, sometimes they are going to stink.   Sometimes, an individual is going to stink while the rest of the team looks good.   There is no point in beating up the kid because there really isn't anyone else to put in this year.   He is going to have to go back out there, for better or for worse.
8.   My Christmas wish is for no flu bugs, no mumps, no injuries.   There is no margin any more. 
Good analysis I especially agree with point 5.

source?

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
Shhhh, he's on-line right now....must be in view-only mode.

For those of you who have experience Scoop solitary, is it a complete ban from the web site, or only from posting?

I haven't personally experienced it, but judging from the Chicos/hoopaloop thread it can be either. From what I gathered CBB was at various times put in read only mode and at other times completely locked out.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
I haven't personally experienced it, but judging from the Chicos/hoopaloop thread it can be either. From what I gathered CBB was at various times put in read only mode and at other times completely locked out.

Whatever happened to post 20,000?  Did his Scoop account time out?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
Agree that Sandy can fit in well with the faster pace of play.  I believe that Steve can be a big contributor.  He needs to finish his shots better.  He has the talent to play a good power forward.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
Whatever happened to post 20,000?  Did his Scoop account time out?
my guess: he's waiting for Christmas.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44832.msg651864#msg651864

Just ignore the EDITED TO CLARIFY part, and I was 100% right! Except for the parts I got wrong.

Juan got the second lowest votes in that poll, but has definitely been the player to surprise on the upside. Real happy for him.

feedback