[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke's Attendance Value  (Read 12155 times)

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
Luke's Attendance Value
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »
My guess is Luke will become a student section favorite and will help bring more students to games after the break.  Germantown basketball as a huge following.  There are Luke fans that will come to games to support him.  Friends and team mates, etc.  I say his value could be an extra 500 fans during Big East play.  More possible if this team turns the corner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Luke's Attendance Value
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
My guess is Luke will become a student section favorite and will help bring more students to games after the break.  Germantown basketball as a huge following.  There are Luke fans that will come to games to support him.  Friends and team mates, etc.  I say his value could be an extra 500 fans during Big East play.  More possible if this team turns the corner.

This, it's always this

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
ASU drew about 1200+ less than IUPUI in paid.  Both the first game after break.  ASU a better matchup. About 8-9% less.  And MU cannot sell out the Al.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »
ASU drew about 1200+ less than IUPUI in paid.  Both the first game after break.  ASU a better matchup. About 8-9% less.  And MU cannot sell out the Al.

This year's team started out with MUCH lower expectations than last year's, so I suspect advance sales were down.  Now that fans have seen Luke play, I suspect things will start to turn around.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:41:50 AM »
My junior son (and student season ticket holder) got a text last night that he could have a free ticket for Alabama A&M.  3700 seats folks and it's not full yet.  This disappoints me.

C'mon guys.  Regardless of opponent, it'll be a fun and somewhat historic night.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:07 AM »
This year's team started out with MUCH lower expectations than last year's, so I suspect advance sales were down.  Now that fans have seen Luke play, I suspect things will start to turn around.

We'll see but I would consider that the baseline (% down) entering the BE. Typically the impact of a turnaround is seen more the next year (with season tickets driving that) which bolster those numbers more than walk ups.  More so, even in sold out sections, there are many seats left vacant this season.

Certainly there has been no Wojo Bump.  I read in some stats book that it is guards who raise attendance.  I think Henry and Luke can do it for MU as Bigs.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
It's going to be a lot harder to get people out than it used to be in the old BE.  When you are nationally ranked and playing against Notre Dame, UConn, Syracuse and Louisville on ESPN that draws a lot more attention and energy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
Here's the problem with this game at the Al. First, it's an awful opponent. Season Ticket holders come to the BC for awful opponents because they are part of the package. If this was even a decent mid major it would have sold much better. Second, the cost is too high. If it's a somewhat recognizable name, people will pay $30, but for Alabama A&M? You can get first 10 rows at the BC for about that price against most cupcakes yet they want that for the furthest out seats. If I was offered that $10 deal, I'd buy a couple seats now and head over, but $30 seems steep.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
Here's the problem with this game at the Al. First, it's an awful opponent. Season Ticket holders come to the BC for awful opponents because they are part of the package. If this was even a decent mid major it would have sold much better. Second, the cost is too high. If it's a somewhat recognizable name, people will pay $30, but for Alabama A&M? You can get first 10 rows at the BC for about that price against most cupcakes yet they want that for the furthest out seats. If I was offered that $10 deal, I'd buy a couple seats now and head over, but $30 seems steep.

$30 dollars is steep? Come on. It costs $8 to go to a high school game, but you think $10 is fair?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
$30 dollars is steep? Come on. It costs $8 to go to a high school game, but you think $10 is fair?

For bad seats to see Alabama A&M?  Absolutely it is too steep.  I get Timberwolves tickets and for a mid-week game against a non-marquee opponent I can get lower level tickets on the baseline for $25.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »

Sign up for the new ReplyBuy ticket service recently offered my MU, I got a text yesterday letting me buy 10 dollar seats for this game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
I don't think price is the issue for the Alabama A&M game.  When tix were first made available to season ticket holders, they were treated as though they were a hot commodity.  Season ticket holders were told we could only buy 2...and I know people lamented that here.  At the same time, when you look at the "looking for" posts here and on other sites, the two most requested games were Wisconsin...and Alabama A&M.

Put those two together, and I suspect they'd have sold out if they had simply let season ticket holders buy as many as they wanted, and let the secondary market take care of the rest.  Instead, the ticket office held on and held on...and now is finding out that it may have held on too long.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
This - and not including it in the package made people take extra steps to get the tickets - some just did not want the hassle.

Also - some of the older crowd told me they were worried about parking / access to the AL / pre-game dining, etc

I don't think price is the issue for the Alabama A&M game.  When tix were first made available to season ticket holders, they were treated as though they were a hot commodity.  Season ticket holders were told we could only buy 2...and I know people lamented that here.  At the same time, when you look at the "looking for" posts here and on other sites, the two most requested games were Wisconsin...and Alabama A&M.

Put those two together, and I suspect they'd have sold out if they had simply let season ticket holders buy as many as they wanted, and let the secondary market take care of the rest.  Instead, the ticket office held on and held on...and now is finding out that it may have held on too long.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
For bad seats to see Alabama A&M?  Absolutely it is too steep.  I get Timberwolves tickets and for a mid-week game against a non-marquee opponent I can get lower level tickets on the baseline for $25.

Is there a bad seat in the Al?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
If I was going to the game I'd be crying about parking. But I'd go. If I lived closer. Maybe I'll look at last minute flights.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
My junior son (and student season ticket holder) got a text last night that he could have a free ticket for Alabama A&M.  3700 seats folks and it's not full yet.  This disappoints me.

C'mon guys.  Regardless of opponent, it'll be a fun and somewhat historic night.

The problem is it's a Friday night ... the worst time to have a game.

I'm a season ticker holder and live in Chicago (Lincoln Park).  Tuesday's drive for ASU was 93 minutes, and I left at 5:30.  

I passed on a chance to get tickets for tomorrow's game because I knew that same drive was 2+ hours on a Friday night, closer to 3 hours if it rains (Train works to get to Milwaukee, impossible to get home so only option is to drive).  Its a bad opponent and I'm always exhausted on Friday.

I will make the trip for Monday's game.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
It's going to be a lot harder to get people out than it used to be in the old BE.  When you are nationally ranked and playing against Notre Dame, UConn, Syracuse and Louisville on ESPN that draws a lot more attention and energy.

This. No question the lack of marquee games is going to hurt attendance. Everyone knew this going in.The new BE is the best we could do, but it is still a step back schedule wise.
In addition, outside of the Wisconsin game, the home non conference slate is extremely poor. Why the F even play this game tomorrow. I am sure this one will cost us money as virtually nobody is paying to see it.

In the future, MU is going to need to rip a page from the Gonzaga playbook and play a stronger non conference schedule.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »
Sign up for the new ReplyBuy ticket service recently offered my MU, I got a text yesterday letting me buy 10 dollar seats for this game.

Where did you sign up? Can you send a link?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
Your talking about two different seasons. Season ticket sales are lower this year.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
and USF, Rutgers, East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
This. No question the lack of marquee games is going to hurt attendance. Everyone knew this going in.The new BE is the best we could do, but it is still a step back schedule wise.
In addition, outside of the Wisconsin game, the home non conference slate is extremely poor. Why the F even play this game tomorrow. I am sure this one will cost us money as virtually nobody is paying to see it.

In the future, MU is going to need to rip a page from the Gonzaga playbook and play a stronger non conference schedule.

What's so great about Gonzaga's home schedule?

(Home = Red, Away = blue, Neutral = Black)

Fri, Nov 14,   Sacramento St (attend 6,000)
Mon, Nov 17, #22 SMU (attend 6,000)
Wed, Nov 19, Saint Joseph's (attend 6,000)
Sat, Nov 22, St. Thomas Aquinas (attend 6,000)

Wed, Nov 26 Georgia*
Fri, Nov 28, vs St. John's*
Tue, Dec 2, SE Louisiana (attend 6,000)
Sat, Dec 6, @ #3 Arizona
Wed, Dec 10, Washington St* (played in Spokane, Attend 11,521)
Sat, Dec 13, @ UCLA
Mon, Dec 15, Texas Southern(attend 6,000)
Sat, Dec 20, Cal Poly*

If we moved back to the Milwaukee auditorium, which also holds 6,000 as well, we too could be just like Gonzaga and sell out.

Or is you argument that SE Louisiana and St. Thomas Aquinas are better draws than Omaha and NJIT?

Added

Gonzaga played Washington State in Spokane and drew 11,521

MU played ASU and drew 12,736

We bitch about attendance because we have no concept of how good we versus other schools.  Gonzaga, Nova and Georgetown would LOVE to have our attendance, we outdraw them all the time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:45:40 AM by Heisenberg »

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »
Where did you sign up? Can you send a link?

Now that I look at it closer, it was a email I received on Dec 11, with a personalized link to my name, sent from Marquette athletics with an opportunity to sign up.  If you did not get the email you may be able to just go through the regular site https://www.replybuy.com and link your account to Marquette basketball.

avid1010

• All American

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
Uh guys, I don't like Alabama A&M either and I'll be in a beach house in Florida Friday night.

That said, I have no complaints about this year's schedule. I wish more of the "good" games were at home, but remember, we've played Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State from the Big 10, Georgia Tech from the ACC, Tennessee from the SEC and ASU from the Pac 10. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State all were Top 25 teams.

Yeah, I'm not big into UTM, NJIT and UNO either. But all three gave us a game, for the record!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Uh guys, I don't like Alabama A&M either and I'll be in a beach house in Florida Friday night.

That said, I have no complaints about this year's schedule. I wish more of the "good" games were at home, but remember, we've played Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State from the Big 10, Georgia Tech from the ACC, Tennessee from the SEC and ASU from the Pac 10. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State all were Top 25 teams.

Yeah, I'm not big into UTM, NJIT and UNO either. But all three gave us a game, for the record!

Yep. We have 12 non con games this year and half of them were against power conference teams. Can't ask for more than that.

feedback