[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The AL on Friday night  (Read 31608 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: The AL on Friday night
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
Topper, you're smarter than that.  The Al holds 3,700 folks.  MU's season ticket base exceeds 12,000.  So you include it exactly how? 

Yeah .. I had typed a blurb about "logistics notwithstanding" in my post, but removed it for brevity. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
Rumor I have heard is it will be SNF.

Realistically there could be three games that get flexed to SNF. Packers-Lions. Bengals-Steelers. Panthers-Falcons. Going to depend on what happens this week, but as of now all three of those games are at noon and I would bet that one of them ends up at 3:25 and one ends up on SNF

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
Realistically there could be three games that get flexed to SNF. Packers-Lions. Bengals-Steelers. Panthers-Falcons. Going to depend on what happens this week, but as of now all three of those games are at noon and I would bet that one of them ends up at 3:25 and one ends up on SNF

I believe in the last week of the season that two of these could be flexed to the 3:20 start time cause both CBS and Fox run double headers.

I think that GB v. Detroit will be a lot more interesting for NBC than the Falcons v. Panthers.  Probably more than Pittsburgh v. Cincy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
BTW, when people say attendance will be "embarrassing," who exactly is embarrassed? 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

I believe in the last week of the season that two of these could be flexed to the 3:20 start time cause both CBS and Fox run double headers.

I think that GB v. Detroit will be a lot more interesting for NBC than the Falcons v. Panthers.  Probably more than Pittsburgh v. Cincy.

I think you're right.

I would guess that if all three of those games mean something, two will be in the late afternoon and one at night. Regardless, the chance that Det-GB gets flexed is high

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Friday date night. First some chilli,  then the game,  wrap up followed by Caf's, then wrap up at Real Chili..  

FIFY

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
FIFY

HaHa. I was waiting for you on this!  Look real, I need to eat dinner at a reasonable hour or I'll get grumpy and my days of closing down the bars and then heading to chili are long gone.  Getting old simply sucks.  Good thing for me chick is still 29 in my eyes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
HaHa. I was waiting for you on this!  Look real, I need to eat dinner at a reasonable hour or I'll get grumpy and my days of closing down the bars and then heading to chili are long gone.  Getting old simply sucks.  Good thing for me chick is still 29 in my eyes.

You might have missed my point...start and end the evening.  It's the second best doubleheader out there.   ;D

And have a "half bowl" for me too. 

I made up a batch of my home-made RC last night.  Nummy.  Taking it to the holiday pot luck in the office tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:23:43 PM by real chili 83 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
I never understood the argument for not going because its a weak opponent. If its a Marquette game, I want to be there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
You might have missed my point...start and end the evening.  It's the second best doubleheader out there.   ;D

And have a "half bowl" for me too. 

I made up a batch of my home-made RC last night.  Nummy.  Taking it to the holiday pot luck in the office tomorrow.

LOL.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »
I never understood the argument for not going because its a weak opponent. If its a Marquette game, I want to be there.

+1.  Sorry you're too far away.  I think that with many things, absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I'm sure many distant Warriors would love to be at the game and grab a beer at Murph's or Caf's.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
+1.  Sorry you're too far away.  I think that with many things, absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I'm sure many distant Warriors would love to be at the game and grab a beer at Murph's or Caf's.

Too bad Murphys and cafs are the only two options. I was talking to someone my mom teaches with yesterday and she's a Marquette grad who talked about naked beer slides at the Lanche. Wish I was around for those days.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
I decided to skip it with the $40/$30 price tag and 2 ticket limit.  I drive an hour each way for every game, so I was OK sitting this one out since its on FS1 anyway.  I'll be there Monday for North Dakota.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
Too bad Murphys and cafs are the only two options. I was talking to someone my mom teaches with yesterday and she's a Marquette grad who talked about naked beer slides at the Lanche. Wish I was around for those days.

Those took place, for the most part, after BOTTLES of $.50 RWB were banned at the Lanche.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
Yep, that's my thinking too.  I've been to the Al to watch many Fish Fry scrimmages .. it's interesting, sure.  Would like to see a whole 40 game there, with a packed crowd.   But no thanks.

I'm half irked the game wasn't included in the SEASON ticket package, and half pleased that I can decide not to spend $80 on the umpteenth cupcake I've had to eat over the past decade.

I'm not sure if you've mathed or not. But have you seen the Al compared to the BC? They couldn't put it in everyone's season tickets.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »

Splinters Chitown, splinters.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
Those took place, for the most part, after BOTTLES of $.50 RWB were banned at the Lanche.

Um, they were actually 3 for a buck, as I recall.  Good times.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
Called the ticket office looking for a ticket to the game.
They said they were available for $32.
While I think it would be cool to go, IMHO seems like a lot.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
Called the ticket office looking for a ticket to the game.
They said they were available for $32.
While I think it would be cool to go, IMHO seems like a lot.

still available for $10 via the links posted earlier in this thread

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

After graduation, my dad had come up to move me back home. Took him to the 'lanche for the last night. Best memory watching him slam the RWBs and then smash it on the floor as was the tradition back then.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »
How many y'all got a C note for the first broad to streak totally naked across the court durin' the first TV timeout?

Melissasmooth back in town?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
At that price I am assuming they would be losing money after paying the opponent. I am not sure they are making money at $42 per ticket.

It's no longer about ticket revenue.  It hasn't been in years.  Otherwise, Nova and StJ wouldn't be playing any games at the Pavillion and Carny.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
Please understand that I do not intend to be condescending here by any stretch, but I'm curious as to whether those amongst the "no thanks" crowd have ever seen an MU game that wasn't played in a multipurpose arena (e.g. MECCA, BC, etc.... basically any place that can host Monster Jam)?  

Seriously, if you have no interest in going to see MU play a regular season game at the Al, then do yourself a favor and go watch another team play a game at the Joyce, Hinkle, Pavilion, Gampel, Zoo, MAC, etc.... somewhere where the people on the opposite side of the arena can hear you yelling at them.  The atmosphere at games in small arenas can be unreal; conversely, basketball in the BC or MECCA is so sterile.  I don't care who the opponent is... if the game counts and MU is playing, you'd have to be dead to not feel some level of electricity as you walk into the Al tomorrow night.

It's like sex. It doesn't matter who your partner is... the real question is do you want a) the romantic partner who isn't afraid of intimacy and makes you feel like you're actually part of the action or b) the apathetic partner who doesn't say a word waiting for you to finish so she can go play with the monster trucks?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:08:14 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
Please understand that I do not intend to be condescending here by any stretch, but I'm curious as to whether those amongst the "no thanks" crowd have ever seen an MU game that wasn't played in a multipurpose arena (e.g. MECCA, BC, etc.... basically any place that can host Monster Jam)?  

Seriously, if you have no interest in going to see MU play a regular season game at the Al, then do yourself a favor and go watch another team play a game at the Joyce, Hinkle, Pavilion, Gampel, Zoo, MAC, etc.... somewhere where the people on the opposite side of the arena can hear you yelling at them.  The atmosphere at games in small arenas can be unreal; conversely, basketball in the BC or MECCA is so sterile.  I don't care who the opponent is... if the game counts and MU is playing, you'd have to be dead to not feel some level of electricity as you walk into the Al tomorrow night.

It's like sex. It doesn't matter who your partner is... the real question is do you want a) the romantic partner who isn't afraid of intimacy and makes you feel like you're actually part of the action or b) the apathetic partner who doesn't say a word waiting for you to finish so she can go play with the monster trucks?

Benny, I agree with you here.  As many games as I've been to at the Bradley Center and how exciting many of those have been, I think my all time favorite was watching the Maui Invitational in that small gym.

And yeah, part of it may be because "I was in Hawaii".  But that environment was absolutely amazing.  Even when we lost on that buzzer beater to Butler in the first game, as disappointing as it was, it was still so, so awesome.

I've been clamoring for a game at the Al for years now, I am so disappointed that I will not be able to attend this one.  Really wishing it was one of the later games when I'll be back in the midwest for the holidays and within driving distance.