[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deonte's departure mildly surprising at best  (Read 29319 times)

ThatDude

• Starter
Re: Deonte's departure mildly surprising at best
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
We will be better without Burton. Thats no shot at Burton either he just didn't fit Wojo's system.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
To clarify a few of the posts made by those who love to hate on me:

1) Yes, I preferred anything over Derrick last year (and this year).  Wojo and Buzz see it differently.  That's fine.  Believe they both got/are getting far too caught up in the intangibles with regard to Derrick, than the actual tangibles. 

2)  Never said Dawson would be "Magic Johnson."  Said he made a few passes against Grambling (yes Grambling) that were Magic Johnson good.

3)  Don't be so sure Dawson ends up at a mid-major.  Big 12 schools inquiring.  NO decision will be made before Christmas.

4)  Burton left primarily due to wanting to be a 3 (not a 4 - which is what Wojo wanted).  Deonte essentially wanted the minutes Derrick was getting 25-30 minutes per game - and had a hard time processing Derrick getting those minutes with Carlino and Duane being the clear cut best two guards and basically them being interchangeable.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »

Quit playing the martyr.  It is unbecoming. 

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »

1) Yes, I preferred anything over Derrick last year (and this year).  Wojo and Buzz see it differently.  That's fine.  Believe they both got/are getting far too caught up in the intangibles with regard to Derrick, than the actual tangibles. 

2)  Never said Dawson would be "Magic Johnson."  Said he made a few passes against Grambling (yes Grambling) that were Magic Johnson good.

3)  Don't be so sure Dawson ends up at a mid-major.  Big 12 schools inquiring.  NO decision will be made before Christmas.

4)  Burton left primarily due to wanting to be a 3 (not a 4 - which is what Wojo wanted).  Deonte essentially wanted the minutes Derrick was getting 25-30 minutes per game - and had a hard time processing Derrick getting those minutes with Carlino and Duane being the clear cut best two guards and basically them being interchangeable.

+1000

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
Quit playing the martyr.  It is unbecoming. 

Quit posting garbage.  It's a waste of space.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
4)  Burton left primarily due to wanting to be a 3 (not a 4 - which is what Wojo wanted).  Deonte essentially wanted the minutes Derrick was getting 25-30 minutes per game - and had a hard time processing Derrick getting those minutes with Carlino and Duane being the clear cut best two guards and basically them being interchangeable.

This is the only point I have trouble with. I'm sure Burton realized that once Luke was here, he would shift to the three. In fact, I know he knew that. If the only thing motivating him to leave was wanting to play the three, all he had to do was wait 10 days and he would have gotten his wish.

Derrick Wilson had NOTHING to do with Deonte's transfer. #donedeal
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:30:10 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
This is the only point I have trouble with. I'm sure Burton realized that once Luke was here, he would shift to the three. In fact, I know he knew that. If the only thing motivating him to leave was wanting to play the three, all he had to do was wait 10 days and he would have gotten his wish.

Derrick Wilson had NOTHING to do with Deonte's transfer. #donedeal

Agree with this.  If Wojo was telling Deonte he'd still be playing a 4 after Luke came into the rotation, I and a large majority of posters are all way off on what would have been the rotation/depth chart had Deonte stayed.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »

This just in Derrick Wilson is founder of ISIS, shot Bambi's mom, and sells illegal cigarettes to kindergarteners. Give it up. Seriously, Derrick had nothing to do with Burton's transfer. If Burton wanted to be a three he had two guys in front of him at that position and their names aren't Derrick. Your level of dislike for Derrick has hit a new low. Not only is he a bad basketball player who somehow convinced two staffs that he should play but now has driven away two of his teammates. Don't you think if Wilson was so bad that other players would start to protest, especially after driving a talent away like Burton. You just can't stop digging.

brandx

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »

1. Really? How could we know?

2. No

3. He will if he wants to play.

4. Obviously he wanted to be a '3', but the team makeup didn't allow it this year. Reminds me of Rickie Weeks preferring to sit on the bench rather than play the OF.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
Quit posting garbage.  It's a waste of space.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahah.  Ok you are right.  Sorry.  I will try to be more prudent in my posts in the future.  I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time or bandwidth. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:35:55 PM by buckchuckler »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
Jeronne's dad wanted him to be a 2 and have the offense run through him.    Players don't get to make demands. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Burton will decide between UCLA and Iowa State

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Burton will decide between UCLA and Iowa State

Ames or So Cal? So Cal or Ames? Sigh...it's a tough call.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
Ames or So Cal? So Cal or Ames? Sigh...it's a tough call.

No teal needed there.

feedback