[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66587 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »

Look who he is recruiting.  Anything resembling the type of guard that BCHoopster is talking about?  Seems to me that he is more interested in players like Duane or Carlino, who turn the ball over a bit, but also can put the ball in the basket.
reading wojo's comments...i don't think he's at all interested in his pg turning the ball over.  i think he realizes what he has/doesn't have this year, but it seems like he wants someone at the point who will limit turnovers.  not to say he doesn't run a system in which the pg doesn't have freedom to attack the rim and create, but there were numerous times where he mentioned that players weren't seeing minutes because they turn the ball over.  he flat out said dawson wouldn't see the court till he valued the ball and stopped turning it over in practice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
reading wojo's comments...i don't think he's at all interested in his pg turning the ball over.  i think he realizes what he has/doesn't have this year, but it seems like he wants someone at the point who will limit turnovers.  not to say he doesn't run a system in which the pg doesn't have freedom to attack the rim and create, but there were numerous times where he mentioned that players weren't seeing minutes because they turn the ball over.  he flat out said dawson wouldn't see the court till he valued the ball and stopped turning it over in practice.

...as well as that JD needed to stay in front of his man on defense. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

I actually don't think that is the case with any of them.  All three are big time scorers.

Nearly every high-major prospect is a big-time scorer in high school. Derrick Wilson averaged 20 ppg his final two years in the prep ranks.
Everything I've read about the three players indicates that in addition to prototypical PG size (6' to 6'2"), they all excel as ball handlers and distributors.

Hoops22

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
In all honesty if we are looking for a pure point guard, one who can push the ball in transition, one who can create for himself and others, then you don't need to look out of our backyard as Brandon Key from West Allus Central would and could succeed here. He might not be rated as highly as some others that were targeting, but believe me the kid can play and would be a great point guard for us if given the opportunity.

brandx

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »

In the end though it's clear Duane is best suited as a 2 which is why I won't concern myself too much this year with every aspect of his game as I just want to see him improve his scoring versatility. I also wouldn't be so surprised to see a NN/Duane backcourt early next season since they'll have a safety blanket of Fischer/Ellenson down low to ease the pressure.

This brings up an interesting question and would like to see others' opinions.

I write this concerning Duane Wilson. Duane obviously has athleticism and basketball skills. If he is to succeed at the next level, it would have to be as a PG. 6'1" SGs are extinct in the NBA.

So, what is a coaches responsibility in cases like this? Is it strictly about winning games even if it means leaving Duane as a SG for 4 years or is it about helping develop players for their future careers, which would mean letting Duane work and develop as a PG?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
In all honesty if we are looking for a pure point guard, one who can push the ball in transition, one who can create for himself and others, then you don't need to look out of our backyard as Brandon Key from West Allus Central would and could succeed here. He might not be rated as highly as some others that were targeting, but believe me the kid can play and would be a great point guard for us if given the opportunity.

Mr. Key, I presume? I have never heard Brandon's name associated with Marquette. I think his size might deter some high majors. 5"9 is very short, even for the PG position
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
Mr. Key, I presume? I have never heard Brandon's name associated with Marquette. I think his size might deter some high majors. 5"9 is very short, even for the PG position

Agreed.  If you're under 6' these days in high-major hoops, you not only need to be a five-tool player, you have to be exceptional from range and have a vertical close to 40".   Speed and awareness certainly help and ability to push in transition is great, but this is still a half-court game where defense is key (no pun intended).  A PG at 5'9" has a lot to overcome in order to not be a liability on defense.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hoops22

• Walk-On
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
Guys I can tell you regardless of what espn might have Brandon listed as, that he is legit 5'11, close to 6 ft. Besides I think sometimes we get hung up on a guys height for a position. What I can tell you is that this kid is a high major player that someone is going to be lucky to get. Bottom line is that he knows how to play, and would be great in a backcourt with Duane, JJJ, NN. Certain guys should not be judged because of their height and this is one of them. He is a tough nosed kid who would not turn the ball over, and a kid who teams who not be able to press us. He would make everyone better. Also he can hit shots at a high enough clip to keep a defense honest, something that we don't have with Derrick. I am not saying we are in on him, I'm just saying he is going to make some program happy and if given the chance would be a great addition to us.

nyg

• All American

Hoops22

• Walk-On
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »
Thanks NYG for showing at least his correct height. Also regardless that it just has UWM down, he is a high major player.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
Is Branon related to Damon at all?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
Nearly every high-major prospect is a big-time scorer in high school. Derrick Wilson averaged 20 ppg his final two years in the prep ranks.
Everything I've read about the three players indicates that in addition to prototypical PG size (6' to 6'2"), they all excel as ball handlers and distributors.

Sounds like Duane Wilson. 

Hoops22

• Walk-On
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
Brandon Key is no relation to Damon. Damon's son is Jaylen Key who is a fine player himself committed to Northern Illinois.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
If they measured him at 6' with that do, he's 5'10". Not biased against little guys but I do have flashbacks of that OT loss on Senior Day to Syracuse with Mo getting abused repeatedly, especially on OOB plays.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
If they measured him at 6' with that do, he's 5'10". Not biased against little guys but I do have flashbacks of that OT loss on Senior Day to Syracuse with Mo getting abused repeatedly, especially on OOB plays.
Mo was listed at 5'8", but was more like 5'6"....  ;)  Buzz called him a midget.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »

Or being at Allstate Arena and watching Dayton's Chris Wright tea-bagging poor Mo on a monster dunk.  Brutal.   >:(

p.s. Mo should have filed sexual assault charges.

Update:  forgot, that was Sears Centre
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:28:02 AM by MarquetteDano »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
Have you seen the PG on Illinois who transferred from Oregon St? Dude is probably 5'5
Bring back FFP!!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
Or being at Allstate Arena and Dayton's Chris Wright tea-bagging poor Mo on a monster dunk.  Brutal.   >:(

The most painful part of that was the irony that the Chevy Cavalier is better suited to a guy of Mo's height.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

This brings up an interesting question and would like to see others' opinions.

I write this concerning Duane Wilson. Duane obviously has athleticism and basketball skills. If he is to succeed at the next level, it would have to be as a PG. 6'1" SGs are extinct in the NBA.

So, what is a coaches responsibility in cases like this? Is it strictly about winning games even if it means leaving Duane as a SG for 4 years or is it about helping develop players for their future careers, which would mean letting Duane work and develop as a PG?

A coach's first responsibility is to the team. It's why Jimmy and Jae played 4, why Lazar played a lot of 5, etc. If you are good enough, the NBA will find you and work with you. The NBA wants talent and potential, and it doesn't hurt for a player to have shown a selfless, team-first attitude.

Secondly, it is a coach's job to give each player the best chance to succeed, again within the framework of the team. So even if a player might eventually project to being a 3 because of his size or whatever, but he functions best in college as a 4 and it helps the team most with him at 4, the coach should primarily play him at 4.

Thirdly, a coach should keep his eye on his team's future needs. Using Duane as an example, Wojo might decide Duane is his future PG -- or at least he might be -- so he might want to find spots to use him there this season. And I believe Wojo is doing just that. I coach middle school and I have a good PG and a decent backup, but both are 8th-graders. So when the game allows it (blowouts or whatever), I sometimes put a 7th-grader or 6th-grader at the 1 so they get the feel of game situations that can't be replicated in practice. Or sometimes I'll put one of the younger kids at PG alongside one of the 8th-graders, who will be the 2 but will be there to help the 1 if she gets in trouble.

Having said all that, I do think a smart coach at least occasionally will give an NBA prospect a chance to play his projected NBA position. Recruits are always watching, so to be able to tell them this is part of a coach's overall plan is simple good marketing.

All IMHO, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Any update as to what Wojo is thinking with his final three scholarships?

C - Fischer, Heldt
PF - H. Ellenson, Taylor
SF / SG - Johnson, Cohen, Cheatham, W. Ellenson
PG - Wilson, Noskowiak

A big and PG would be welcome. I think Henry will ultimately play quite a bit SF, so another guy to play PF would be great.  In my mind, Taylor is done (hope I am wrong there, and next year is a new year for him). Jameel McKay would sure look good. 

Any updates on targets?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »

C - Fischer, Heldt
PF - H. Ellenson, Taylor
PG - Wilson, Noskowiak

A big and PG would be welcome. I think Henry will ultimately play quite a bit SF, so another guy to play PF would be great.  In my mind, Taylor is done (hope I am wrong there, and next year is a new year for him). Jameel McKay would sure look good. 

Any updates on targets?
McKay would have used up his eligibility by next year.  Biggest need is a true PG along with an athletic forward.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Looking at a few HS wings, and JUCO PG/PF.

First priority has to be a PG, I think.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »
McKay would have used up his eligibility by next year.  Biggest need is a true PG along with an athletic forward.

Ahh, that's right.  For some reason I was thinking he only played 1 year of juco.  I was wrong. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brandx

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »

C - Fischer, Heldt
PF - H. Ellenson, Taylor
PG - Wilson, Noskowiak

Any updates on targets?

Hopefully, someone who can shoot from 10-15 feet from the hoop.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »
I talked to my manager buddy over break about who maybe Wojo was looking at for scholies (back when I was dying for us to snag Semi Ojeleye.....and break had just started.....those were some good days....) and he told me the staff really likes Haanif Cheatham at the point. 

A guy at 6'5 who is great/comfortable with the ball in his hands running an offense and has also shown that he can also score at will is a HUGE weapon to have for a team.  I'm kinda surprised more people haven't thought that we may already have snagged that PG.  I know true frosh PGs can be dangerous (well, unless you're Tyler Ulis), but in Wojo's offense there doesn't seem to be a true PG.  Just a lot of guys who can handle the ball while working it around.  I could definitely see a lineup where Duane and Haanif are the primary ball handlers with a JJJ rounding out the 3rd guard spot and Henry and Fischer in the front court.

Maybe that's why Wojo seems to be focusing on guys like Ricky Council and Sacar Anim, who aren't true points.