Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66597 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
Not sold that Duane is a point, Nick not sure of either as he seems to be a scorer as well, MU needs a point guard next year, graduate student or  a JC kid would be nice.  Just need one
more player!  Are they looking at any points right now?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45652.0
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
Not sold that Duane is a point, Nick not sure of either as he seems to be a scorer as well, MU needs a point guard next year, graduate student or  a JC kid would be nice.  Just need one

Marcus LoVett out of Chicago is on Wojo's list. Ricky Council of North Carolina isn't a point but is a guard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
Marcus LoVett out of Chicago is on Wojo's list. Ricky Council of North Carolina isn't a point but is a guard.

Jerry Meyer thinks he decides soon. Says it's between Illinois heavy lean with Kansas right behind.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Jerry Meyer thinks he decides soon. Says it's between Illinois heavy lean with Kansas right behind.

Did he ever visit MU?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
Did he ever visit MU?

No and I'm not sure how much interest Wojo had.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »

No and I'm not sure how much interest Wojo had.

I would say there is no reason to discuss him

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
I would say there is no reason to discuss him

In August, we were at the top of his list. Obviously things change, but I figured I'd keep him on the list until all is said and signed
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »
What is your definition of a point guard?

To me it is the guy who I want controlling the flow of the game, make the right choices and ideally he can use both hands and play at high speed.

I think Duane is an ideal point guard for our team . I love seeing the ball in his hands, and feel good things are going to happen.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
What is your definition of a point guard?

To me it is the guy who I want controlling the flow of the game, make the right choices and ideally he can use both hands and play at high speed.

I think Duane is an ideal point guard for our team . I love seeing the ball in his hands, and feel good things are going to happen.
I played point in high school,, first keep the other players happy, control the tempo,  be unselfish, no turnovers, make your shots and free throws as you get fouled all the time at the end of the game, Duane last night was horrible,  not sold on his handle yet, might not be strong enough with the ball

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
I played point in high school,, first keep the other players happy, control the tempo,  be unselfish, no turnovers, make your shots and free throws as you get fouled all the time at the end of the game, Duane last night was horrible,  not sold on his handle yet, might not be strong enough with the ball
I think by your definition he did pretty well with the obvious exception of lousy free throws last night.

I believe Duane has an incredible handle. He can go full speed with both hands. Very few guards can do that. It is why I want him with the ball at all times.  He and Luke were made for each other.

brandx

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »

He's played 9 games at the college level. He certainly wasn't horrible (except from the line).

But I agree that his handle isn't there yet. I think it will be when he fully adjusts to the speed of the college game. It is much improved from the earlier games. But I am not ready to anoint him yet as our PG

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I think by your definition he did pretty well with the obvious exception of lousy free throws last night.

I believe Duane has an incredible handle. He can go full speed with both hands. Very few guards can do that. It is why I want him with the ball at all times.  He and Luke were made for each other.

Not saying he will not be the point but. Still would like another point if he can not do it

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »

Duane was not horrible and his handle is just fine. He finishes way better than our senior pg and will only continue to get better.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »
Duane was not horrible and his handle is just fine. He finishes way better than our senior pg and will only continue to get better.

Sorry to say but Derrick is the one of worst point guards MU has ever had, Duane is better in all facets of his game but I like Duane on the wing as he can jump out of the gym and plays pretty good off the ball, nothing wrong finding somebody else

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
I view Duane as a scoring guard who can pass, not a point guard who can score.  I look for a PG to be good at dribbling, distributing, and decision making.  Limit turnovers and run the offense to get everyone else involved.  Make the other players better by creating good looks for them.  Being able to score in the flow of the game or at the end of a shot clock are great but I prefer the PG is not the primary scorer. 

Duane has a few too many turnovers and is a score first, pass second player.  On offense, not defense, I see Duane as a more athletic Jerel McNeal with a jumper Jerel didn't have until late in his junior year.  A skinnier DJO is also a good comparison.

When I think of a PG, I think of Travis Diener and Tony Miller.  Duane is more similar to McNeal and DJO than Diener and Miller.  That said, Duane is probably our best PG option next year as the roster is comprised right now.  NN is the only other PG option and he'll be a frosh so a lot remains to be seen.  But if Wojo can add a starting caliber PG, do it and move Duane to the 2 where he can be a primary scoring option.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
I view Duane as a scoring guard who can pass, not a point guard who can score.  I look for a PG to be good at dribbling, distributing, and decision making.  Limit turnovers and run the offense to get everyone else involved.  Make the other players better by creating good looks for them.  Being able to score in the flow of the game or at the end of a shot clock are great but I prefer the PG is not the primary scorer. 

Duane has a few too many turnovers and is a score first, pass second player.  On offense, not defense, I see Duane as a more athletic Jerel McNeal with a jumper Jerel didn't have until late in his junior year.  A skinnier DJO is also a good comparison.

When I think of a PG, I think of Travis Diener and Tony Miller.  Duane is more similar to McNeal and DJO than Diener and Miller.  That said, Duane is probably our best PG option next year as the roster is comprised right now.  NN is the only other PG option and he'll be a frosh so a lot remains to be seen.  But if Wojo can add a starting caliber PG, do it and move Duane to the 2 where he can be a primary scoring option.

Funny you write that. Another fan talked to me about this issue and was pissed off at the turnovers. If you look at the numbers, in nearly every game Swaggy shows a 0 A/T ratio or net positive ratio. For a rookie playing his first nine games of college, Wilson has actually done a pretty good job of protecting the ball.

In the end though it's clear Duane is best suited as a 2 which is why I won't concern myself too much this year with every aspect of his game as I just want to see him improve his scoring versatility. I also wouldn't be so surprised to see a NN/Duane backcourt early next season since they'll have a safety blanket of Fischer/Ellenson down low to ease the pressure.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
Funny you write that. Another fan talked to me about this issue and was pissed off at the turnovers. If you look at the numbers, in nearly every game Swaggy shows a 0 A/T ratio or net positive ratio. For a rookie playing his first nine games of college, Wilson has actually done a pretty good job of protecting the ball.

In the end though it's clear Duane is best suited as a 2 which is why I won't concern myself too much this year with every aspect of his game as I just want to see him improve his scoring versatility. I also wouldn't be so surprised to see a NN/Duane backcourt early next season since they'll have a safety blanket of Fischer/Ellenson down low to ease the pressure.
While he may be more suited as a 2, he is talented enough to play either well. Sort of like a young D. Wade
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
Duane does have respectable 1.5 to 1 assist to turnover ration.  My preference is 2 to 1 or better.  So Duane's not far off.  I agree that he can play both guard spots and hope he is Jason Terry 2.0.

For comparison, Carlino averages roughly the name number of TO's as Duane but 1 more assist per game for roughly a 2-1 Asst/TO ratio.  Derrick averages roughly the same number of assists as Duane but nearly one fewer TO per game for a 3-1 ratio.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »

This is really an old school way of looking at the position. 

Duane is going to be fine because it is pretty clear that Wojo doesn't run an offense that needs one guy names as the point guard. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
This is really an old school way of looking at the position. 

Duane is going to be fine because it is pretty clear that Wojo doesn't run an offense that needs one guy names as the point guard. 

You may be right, but I think nine games with an (incomplete) roster not of his choosing probably doesn't tell us a whole lot about what kind of offense Wojo ultimately wants to run. I think so far what we've seen is him trying to make due as best he can with the hand that's been dealt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
You may be right, but I think nine games with an (incomplete) roster not of his choosing probably doesn't tell us a whole lot about what kind of offense Wojo ultimately wants to run. I think so far what we've seen is him trying to make due as best he can with the hand that's been dealt.

Look who he is recruiting.  Anything resembling the type of guard that BCHoopster is talking about?  Seems to me that he is more interested in players like Duane or Carlino, who turn the ball over a bit, but also can put the ball in the basket.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »

Look who he is recruiting.  Anything resembling the type of guard that BCHoopster is talking about?  Seems to me that he is more interested in players like Duane or Carlino, who turn the ball over a bit, but also can put the ball in the basket.

Quentin Gooden, Cassius Winston and Bryant Crawford all seem to fit the traditional point guard mold.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »
Quentin Gooden, Cassius Winston and Bryant Crawford all seem to fit the traditional point guard mold.

I actually don't think that is the case with any of them.  All three are big time scorers.

feedback