[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66815 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Nearly every NBA team was in the stands when he was playing in Dubai this summer.  And DraftExpress is widely regarded by those in the industry as the #1 site for NBA prospecting. 

I'd suggest that those NBA teams were in Dubai to watch more players than just Henry Ellenson.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Nearly every NBA team was in the stands when he was playing in Dubai this summer.  And DraftExpress is widely regarded by those in the industry as the #1 site for NBA prospecting. 

Still a lot depends on how next year goes for him and how he feels.

I think there is a solid chance he will stick it out for both his brothers 2 years at least
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
I'd suggest that those NBA teams were in Dubai to watch more players than just Henry Ellenson.

Undoubtably they were.  And his reviews weren't so great from over there.  My point though is that He has been seen by the top scouts in the world.  They don't need to see him play in college.

DraftExpress most likely has polled several NBA scouts / GMs and they have placed a top 10 value on Henry.  Any MU fan counting on 2 years (save a rule change) is misguided.  I understand a lot can happen but I think we need to be realistic. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
Gophers just had a guy transfer, Josh Martin. But from what I saw of him.....no thanks.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Does defection of Burton and Dawson -- on top of the defections after Bert departed -- hurt Wojo's appeal to potential recruits? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Does defection of Burton and Dawson -- on top of the defections after Bert departed -- hurt Wojo's appeal to potential recruits? 

I don't think so.  Everyone pretty much knows that these things can happen with coaching changes.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »

Not if you can shoot and put the ball in the basket and defend your man.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
Back on topic, I would like to see Wojo bring in a top 100, traditional recruit (not a recruit who's a traditional, but someone recruited the traditional way, i.e. out of HS w/ verbal before spring signing period) for 15-16, because, to me, the ability to react to a mid-season transfer - after the fall signing period - and not have to resort to the scrap heap would cement Wojo's place as a top recruiter.

In other words, a lot of coaches are good at recruiting, but even some of the best recruiters have a hard time filling a hole on short notice.  If Wojo can use Burton or Dawson's scholly to pull in one of the remaining 4-stars (or heaven forbid, a 5-star) for '15-16, it will be hard to argue against crowning him as an elite recruiter.

When's the last time someone even had a top 5 recruiting class in his first year as a HC, and now we're talking outside chance (though be it a slice of pie in sky) that MU ends up with the #1 class for 2015?  Oof!

Yet there are still some people upset with Wojo's progress thus far?!?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 12:12:51 PM »
Back on topic, I would like to see Wojo bring in a top 100, traditional recruit (not a recruit who's a traditional, but someone recruited the traditional way, i.e. out of HS w/ verbal before spring signing period) for 15-16, because, to me, the ability to react to a mid-season transfer - after the fall signing period - and not have to resort to the scrap heap would cement Wojo's place as a top recruiter.

In other words, a lot of coaches are good at recruiting, but even some of the best recruiters have a hard time filling a hole on short notice.  If Wojo can use Burton or Dawson's scholly to pull in one of the remaining 4-stars (or heaven forbid, a 5-star) for '15-16, it will be hard to argue against crowning him as an elite recruiter.

When's the last time someone even had a top 5 recruiting class in his first year as a HC, and now we're talking outside chance (though be it a slice of pie in sky) that MU ends up with the #1 class for 2015?  Oof!

Yet there are still some people upset with Wojo's progress thus far?!?

Thanks Benny.  That said, I'd personally keep next year's Frosh class at 5 max and use the other two for transfer candidates.  I wonder if a kid down the bench a bit at Duke might give us a look?  I'm not a fan of banking scholarships (except on a transfer kid sitting out but that's not really banking) but I could imagine that happening next year as Steve will be the only Senior.  I guess my first choice after the addition of another Top 100 '15 would be for a graduate (Carlino type) transfer.  Frankly if one were announced right now following Luke's path I'd be fine with that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
Thanks Benny.  That said, I'd personally keep next year's Frosh class at 5 max and use the other two for transfer candidates.  I wonder if a kid down the bench a bit at Duke might give us a look?  I'm not a fan of banking scholarships (except on a transfer kid sitting out but that's not really banking) but I could imagine that happening next year as Steve will be the only Senior.  I guess my first choice after the addition of another Top 100 '15 would be for a graduate (Carlino type) transfer.  Frankly if one were announced right now following Luke's path I'd be fine with that.
Why do we want somebody down the bench at Duke when we should be getting ones with talent to be on the floor? Just askin'
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
Why do we want somebody down the bench at Duke when we should be getting ones with talent to be on the floor? Just askin'

Perhaps a guy down the bench at Duke might have talent and get playing time at MU.  Last time I looked we weren't a Top 10 team that just ass kicked Bucky.  Just sayin'.  Personally, I believe in somewhat balanced classes.  We already know who the team captain is next year.  But we'll struggle if he only leads a bunch of Freshmen.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

Nope, for the same reason as the fact that while the divorce rate is somewhere around 50%, most people don't go into marriage thinking they will get divorced: optimism bias (cue Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias).

Potential recruits will think, "Yeah, those other guys left, but that's because they aren't as talented/hard-working/diligent/coachable etc. as me.  I'll be able to cut it, even though they couldn't."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Potential recruits will think, "yeah, I fit the mold of Wojo and he wants me here.  Its a good thing that I wasnt recruited by one coach and asked to play under a completely type of coach."

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »
**I don't have any inside info on this but...**

I just gave Duke sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye a follow on Twitter, you know, just in case...

Good call brew!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
Good call brew!

Damn brew. What twitter magics have you been working?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »

I think of guys like Billy McCaffrey, who was bench material at Duke, but was all SEC at Vanderbilt.  Or Elliot Williams who was the leading scorer for Memphis.  Or Michael Thompson, who starred for Northwestern.

Duke's cast offs can be pretty good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »
Damn brew. What twitter magics have you been working?

Just makes sense. Wojo was his lead recruiter, he's a top-40 RSCI kid that has been buried behind tons of future NBA players in Parker, Hood, and Winslow, and Duke looks likely to land another top-15 guy at his position (Brandon Ingram) next year.

Granted, Ojeleye will get a lot of interest -- Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, and K-State were all heavily involved out of high school, though he did have an offer from Marquette under Buzz as well. I would guess Wichita State and others will try to get involved (he's from Kansas). Ojeleye's also a phenomenal student, carried a 4.0 GPA in high school.

Fingers crossed, but I've had my eye on an Ojeleye transfer to Marquette since April 1 of this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
I think the real question with him is if he was so jaded by the Duke experience that Wojo is poisoned by association.  I think Kansas State stands a decent chance here.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
I think the real question with him is if he was so jaded by the Duke experience that Wojo is poisoned by association.

Yup. Wojo may have recruited him, but he also helped recruit over him. Should be interesting to follow.

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
I think the real question with him is if he was so jaded by the Duke experience that Wojo is poisoned by association.  I think Kansas State stands a decent chance here.

I don't think he's jaded by the "Duke experience." I think he just simply wasn't getting enough playing time at Duke. At Marquette, he could easily get playing time. Also, seeing he's a fit with Duke, he probably fits with Wojo's playing style.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
I don't think he's jaded by the "Duke experience." I think he just simply wasn't getting enough playing time at Duke. At Marquette, he could easily get playing time. Also, seeing he's a fit with Duke, he probably fits with Wojo's playing style.

Perhaps.  I just don't know his mindset and what he is thinking.  Wojo might be a huge advantage...or he might not be. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but do you think Wojo is recruiting based on the notion that Henry could only be here for one season?

For all the talk about one-and-dones, there really aren't many in any given season.

Having said that, I'm sure Wojo is recruiting at that position regardless. One could make the argument that Heldt is part of Wojo's "insurance policy" against Henry going after 2015-16.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
For all the talk about one-and-dones, there really aren't many in any given season.

Having said that, I'm sure Wojo is recruiting at that position regardless. One could make the argument that Heldt is part of Wojo's "insurance policy" against Henry going after 2015-16.

I don't think Heldt is an insurance policy...Henry is going to play the 4 if not the 3 at MU IMHO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
I'm betting (speculation, no real scoop) that Wojo is very interested in Semi....the question is, is it reciprocated?

You get Semi, a Juco PG, and a grad transfer 5 and we are set
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:07 AM »
Just curious.  How quickly do mid year transfers typically decide?  I'd guess most want this decision made by Christmas such that the paperwork can commence and they can start school in January.  I believe I remember Luke's happening in about a week.