[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66592 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »
Right now he may be our best choice. However, keep in mind that Cohen was ranked higher than Haanif currently is, so we should not expect to much out of him as a freshmen.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
A guy at 6'5 who is great/comfortable with the ball in his hands running an offense and has also shown that he can also score at will is a HUGE weapon to have for a team.  I'm kinda surprised more people haven't thought that we may already have snagged that PG.  I know true frosh PGs can be dangerous (well, unless you're Tyler Ulis), but in Wojo's offense there doesn't seem to be a true PG.  Just a lot of guys who can handle the ball while working it around.  I could definitely see a lineup where Duane and Haanif are the primary ball handlers with a JJJ rounding out the 3rd guard spot and Henry and Fischer in the front court.

Maybe that's why Wojo seems to be focusing on guys like Ricky Council and Sacar Anim, who aren't true points.

Sultan has mentioned this before but I think Wojo does not view the point guard position like a lot of people expect on this board.  Whether that is right or wrong we will see.  But I would not expect your typical point guard getting the majority of the minutes next year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
Right now he may be our best choice. However, keep in mind that Cohen was ranked higher than Haanif currently is, so we should not expect to much out of him as a freshmen.

True but Haanif has been kinda a late riser hasn't he?

And a lot of things depend on positions and what the player brings. Haanif and Sandy are not the same types of players so he could be relied on/expected of more.

Heck look at Nate Mason for the gophers this year. Guy wasn't even an 80 grade on ESPN and hes killin it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:43 AM »

Rankings cut both ways. Some are better, some are not.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
And I'm kind of thinking that 3 won't become 4.  I'd be very surprised if any of the current 5 returning players decided to move on.  There's 2 Senior guards graduating meaning both Duane and JJJ move up.  Sandy certainly can gain minutes based on his performance and Juan's departure.  Luke already transferred largely to get closer to home.  And Steve will be one year away from his valuable Marquette diploma.

If I had to guess, Wojo has plans emerging (at least in term of player type) for two holding the third in reserve for 'best available' transfer.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
And I'm kind of thinking that 3 won't become 4. 

If I had to guess, Wojo has plans emerging (at least in term of player type) for two holding the third in reserve for 'best available' transfer.

On the first point, my only concern about another opening is with Noskowiak. But, at this point the plan is for him to be here. Here's hoping he gets through this and matriculates at Marquette.

Agree on the second point, although he might bank it for 2016 as well.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
True but Haanif has been kinda a late riser hasn't he?

And a lot of things depend on positions and what the player brings. Haanif and Sandy are not the same types of players so he could be relied on/expected of more.

Heck look at Nate Mason for the gophers this year. Guy wasn't even an 80 grade on ESPN and hes killin it.

Haanif is also known for playing really, really good defense--an area that usually keeps Cohen off of the floor. I expect Haanif to see some decent time on the floor next year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
On the first point, my only concern about another opening is with Noskowiak. But, at this point the plan is for him to be here.

My hope as well.  I hadn't considered the incoming recruits.  Hoping Nick is doing well.  While this would be pure speculation and probably a conversation for some months down the road, I wonder if Nick might be a great candidate for a Frosh red shirt?  Get with the guys for a year, get comfortable at school, that sort of thing.  On the other hand, he simply might want to jump right back in when he's feeling a little stronger.  Whatever works for Nick is fine by me.  I'm looking forward to him being a Warrior.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
And I'm kind of thinking that 3 won't become 4.  I'd be very surprised if any of the current 5 returning players decided to move on.  There's 2 Senior guards graduating meaning both Duane and JJJ move up.  Sandy certainly can gain minutes based on his performance and Juan's departure.  Luke already transferred largely to get closer to home.  And Steve will be one year away from his valuable Marquette diploma.

The only two who I think would consider a transfer would be JjJ and Steve. I could see Henry and Haanif eating up their playing time, especially if we also bring in some jucos or graduate transfers. But this is just baseless speculation. At this point, I think we are likely to see all the players return.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
The only two who I think would consider a transfer would be JjJ and Steve. I could see Henry and Haanif eating up their playing time, especially if we also bring in some jucos or graduate transfers. But this is just baseless speculation. At this point, I think we are likely to see all the players return.

I don't see anyone leaving. There will be plenty of minutes available next year since our 3 graduating players are averaging 96 of the 200 available minutes. Steve will be a senior and has already seen a significant cut in minutes since Luke became eligible (29 to 18). JJJ has seen a slight uptick by about 2 a game since Luke. Plus there is no guarantee the freshmen will  be good enough, besides Henry, that they will take minutes right away.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
First of all, I hope Nick is well and joins the team this Summer.  Contrary, to a previous comment, I like Sandy Cohen's defense.  He is quick to make steals and deflect passes.  He can run the fast break.  He and Carlino are the two best shooters on the team.  Sandy will be. Key player on next year's team.  I have confidence in Coach Wojo that he will recruit players that will fit in and balance the team. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »
First of all, I hope Nick is well and joins the team this Summer.  Contrary, to a previous comment, I like Sandy Cohen's defense.  He is quick to make steals and deflect passes.  He can run the fast break.  He and Carlino are the two best shooters on the team.  Sandy will be. Key player on next year's team.  I have confidence in Coach Wojo that he will recruit players that will fit in and balance the team. 

The key for Sandy is to improve his release. Right now it takes too long for his release. Hopefully the staff can work in today in the off-season. He's used to playing man and I think he's had to adjust more to zone than some of the others. I also really like the look of him going forward.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »
Because of the transfers, because of the uncertainty surrounding Nick, Buzz's adage of 'never stop recruiting' seems more appropriate and ever.   I hope that Wojo had back up plans for the additional openings.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Right now it takes too long for his release.

Yuck.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
Yuck.

I LOLed ;D

On topic...I think we add at most one freshman with the open scholarships. I could see as many as two JUCOs, a wing and a point seem most likely, or a transfer. The question regarding any D1 transfer is whether we'll look at someone who will have immediate eligibility or someone who will have to sit a year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
Bump. Now it's freakin' 4!  :o

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
Can't have one recruiting class stay intact in 5 years, really wonder about stability in the future!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2015, 09:16:01 PM »
Holy crap, Wojo can land a second class in his first year!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »
How many of these can we realistically expect to be pushed to 2016? My guess is 1 HS, 1 juco, 1 transfer (hopefully of the graduate variety) and 1 pushed to 2016. It's gonna interesting.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
I LOLed ;D

On topic...I think we add at most one freshman with the open scholarships. I could see as many as two JUCOs, a wing and a point seem most likely, or a transfer. The question regarding any D1 transfer is whether we'll look at someone who will have immediate eligibility or someone who will have to sit a year.
And where will all these studs come from? Let's face it, Wojo may be a good recruiter, but most of the studs are gone. Don't know about JUCO's and have nothing against JUCO's but where  will we get talent to fill 3 or 4 openings.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »

This brings up an interesting question and would like to see others' opinions.

I write this concerning Duane Wilson. Duane obviously has athleticism and basketball skills. If he is to succeed at the next level, it would have to be as a PG. 6'1" SGs are extinct in the NBA.

So, what is a coaches responsibility in cases like this? Is it strictly about winning games even if it means leaving Duane as a SG for 4 years or is it about helping develop players for their future careers, which would mean letting Duane work and develop as a PG?
That has been debated here--even a poll taken. 66% believe Derrick should be our point. Others believe that Duane should be given time there to see how he does. Well, he had a 1.5 minute stint recently and now most think he looked lousy. It seems logical that he be given some time there this year, but the Derrick love permeates everywhere.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
And where will all these studs come from? Let's face it, Wojo may be a good recruiter, but most of the studs are gone. Don't know about JUCO's and have nothing against JUCO's but where  will we get talent to fill 3 or 4 openings.

Traci Carter is still out there. He is a high level talent at point guard. An injury set him back so he's the classic late bloomer type. I'm not optimistic we'll get him, but he would be a huge late get. Anim is another talent. Smart player, great at driving and defense, and the one weakness, his shot from range, seems to be improving. I do think he'll commit to Marquette, possibly as soon as next week.

But for instant impact, it has to be JUCO or grad transfers. Dequon Miller and Travis Outlaw are two guys Marquette has shown interest in that could make an immediate impact. Then there will always be transfers.

You can go negative nellie if you prefer, but there are a lot of good unsigned players out there. While the freshman crop isn't what it was, the job of the staff is to find talent wherever it may be. Will they be as good as Buzz at landing late studs? We'll see, but don't forget Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Davante Gardner, Trent Lockett, and Matt Carlino were all added at this point or later in the recruiting cycle. Certainly not time to panic just yet.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
Traci Carter is still out there. He is a high level talent at point guard. An injury set him back so he's the classic late bloomer type. I'm not optimistic we'll get him, but he would be a huge late get. Anim is another talent. Smart player, great at driving and defense, and the one weakness, his shot from range, seems to be improving. I do think he'll commit to Marquette, possibly as soon as next week.

But for instant impact, it has to be JUCO or grad transfers. Dequon Miller and Travis Outlaw are two guys Marquette has shown interest in that could make an immediate impact. Then there will always be transfers.

You can go negative nellie if you prefer, but there are a lot of good unsigned players out there. While the freshman crop isn't what it was, the job of the staff is to find talent wherever it may be. Will they be as good as Buzz at landing late studs? We'll see, but don't forget Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Davante Gardner, Trent Lockett, and Matt Carlino were all added at this point or later in the recruiting cycle. Certainly not time to panic just yet.

...and Butler does well with their unheralded recruits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2015, 10:53:41 AM »
...and Butler does well with their unheralded recruits.

Some years....certainly not last year. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
Haanif is also known for playing really, really good defense

So was JJJ.

feedback