[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Thing
[Today at 08:13:27 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66829 times)

jsglow

• All American
3 Open Scholarships
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
I decided to start a thread where we can intelligently discuss (please) how we want to move forward with our now 3 open scholarships.  Everything from specific position to kids we believe Wojo is actively recruiting to the Frosh vs. Juco vs. transfer route seems open for conversation.  I sincerely wish Deonte and John then best but that's in the past.  Let's please discuss the future.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but do you think Wojo is recruiting based on the notion that Henry could only be here for one season?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
I do have one immediate suggestion.  I do think that Wojo does need to put a couple of walk-ons on the bench for an emergency.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
I think there's a decent chance one or two of those are already filled but can't be announced yet. Keep an eye on the other mid season transfers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Recruit basketball players that can shoot and have some athletic ability.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
I think there's a decent chance one or two of those are already filled but can't be announced yet. Keep an eye on the other mid season transfers.

Are you saying Luke type transfers eligible Christmas next year?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but do you think Wojo is recruiting based on the notion that Henry could only be here for one season?

How in the world can he not?

Draft Express has Henry as the 6th pick in the 2016 Draft.  Hopefully Wojo has a plan to make sure Henry isn't our Larry Hughes.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »

This may be correct. Pretty obviously he knew Dawson was leaving. I think its equally reasonable to think he knew about Burton early on as well. Anyone gonna transfer out of Duke in the next few days?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Lots of options...

**A semester transfer can come in immediately and help in practice ASAP.  Going to have to see who becomes available.

**I would guess that we will have either a Juco or grad transfer who can play immediately next year.

**I would also think that we will be looking at "regular transfers" after the year end.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
This may be correct. Pretty obviously he knew Dawson was leaving. I think its equally reasonable to think he knew about Burton early on as well. Anyone gonna transfer out of Duke in the next few days?

Cmon Okafor...
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
1) PG
2) Shooter
3) Rebounder

Paging Big Daddy...need names.  Will Wojo bank any?  Can we take a mid-semester transfer?  Only 9 players otherwise.  I think we had Todd's spot still available for one but the spots for Levin, Dawson and Burton can't be used until next year.  Would be nice to have 10 players so MU can practice 5-on-5.  (Insert Ners comment about Derrick Wilson having the team used to playing 4-on-5.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
**I don't have any inside info on this but...**

I just gave Duke sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye a follow on Twitter, you know, just in case...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Hey 03eng, hope you hadn't taped the podcast already.  Sh*t can that hour.   :'(

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »

I am pretty sure we only have 1 open scholarship available for next semester, and then it becomes 3 going into next season.  Although Luke did pay his way through 2nd semester last year, from what I understand...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »
I am pretty sure we only have 1 open scholarship available for next semester, and then it becomes 3 going into next season.  Although Luke did pay his way through 2nd semester last year, from what I understand...

I believe that's correct.  Probably slim to none that it'll be filled by someone who can suit up this year.  This might be one of those times when offering it to a player with immediate availability might make some sense.  Is there such a commodity? 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
Hey 03eng, hope you hadn't taped the podcast already.  Sh*t can that hour.   :'(

Yeah, this is starting to become a real problem.  4th time in the last two years we've had a podcast for a whole week last less than 72 hours.

Pod signals up, guess we're going have to record another this week.  Might have to wait a little and see if any more shoes drop.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
I believe that's correct.  Probably slim to none that it'll be filled by someone who can suit up this year.  This might be one of those times when offering it to a player with immediate availability might make some sense.  Is there such a commodity? 
There have been some guys somewhat recently that have graduated from HS early and enrolled in second semester for college.  Best one was the 6'8" guy at TN who graduated this past spring and a guard at USC.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
Yeah, this is starting to become a real problem.  4th time in the last two years we've had a podcast for a whole week last less than 72 hours.

Pod signals up, guess we're going have to record another this week.  Might have to wait a little and see if any more shoes drop.

Any more shoes drop and freakin' Chitown will have to play.  Just wait until Ners gets to scrutinize his game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
Any more shoes drop and freakin' Chitown will have to play.  Just wait until Ners gets to scrutinize his game.

Come on now, Chitown can shoot.

Not all shoes are bad shoes :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
Recruit basketball players that can shoot and have some athletic ability.

I'd be willing to sacrifice the athletic ability. Just find someone who can shoot the damn ball.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Stone
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
How in the world can he not?

Draft Express has Henry as the 6th pick in the 2016 Draft.  Hopefully Wojo has a plan to make sure Henry isn't our Larry Hughes.

I would seriously hope that Henry, Wojo nor anyone else is making decisions based on what Draft Express says nealry a year before the kid plays a single game.
Henry may very well be a one-and-done. But he wouldn't be the first top 10 kid to stick around a couple of years.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
I would seriously hope that Henry, Wojo nor anyone else is making decisions based on what Draft Express says nealry a year before the kid plays a single game.
Henry may very well be a one-and-done. But he wouldn't be the first top 10 kid to stick around a couple of years.

Nearly every NBA team was in the stands when he was playing in Dubai this summer.  And DraftExpress is widely regarded by those in the industry as the #1 site for NBA prospecting. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »

The good thing is Ners doesn't look at the defensive side of the ball so I may look as bad as others may see me. Doubt Wojo wants a 5'9" kid but who knows. I'd probably lead the big East in charges taken.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
There have been some guys somewhat recently that have graduated from HS early and enrolled in second semester for college.  Best one was the 6'8" guy at TN who graduated this past spring and a guard at USC.

Maybe Henry has been taking some AP classes?

feedback